JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
On a highway that would work. I can bump the cruise control up 2 mph and overtake someone. But on a 2 lane road and I need to get around one or two cars in the current passing zone, there is a benefit to dropping down to 3rd. That puts me in the top of the torque band for the 4cylinder which gives time for the turbo to start moving things along allowing me to essentially leap past the cars.
Do run regular or super in your Bronco?
Sponsored

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did have the issue in 1st gear a couple of times and I’m glad to see it wasn’t just me. Mine acted like it wouldn’t go up a ramp and a steep driveway incline without more gas or feathering the clutch. Only happened twice but it made me think WTF.
My previous daily was an 84 4Runner stick shift. Before that was an 89 4Runner stick shift. Before that was a 2015 WRX stick shift (geez did that transmission and clutch SUCK). That 2015 WRX tranny did not go from 1st to 2nd without bouncing your head around. My Bronco’s 7MT is just butter, and it got even better after the ProCal install. Rev matching is AWESOME!!

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Just regular gas these days.
I was wondering if 91 or 93 might give enough torque to make 4th gear work for you.

I don't drive very much so I put 93 in mine and I find the amount of torque the 2.3 is surprising.

Last edited:

ldcobb2

Badlands
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cencalbroncos.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did have the issue in 1st gear a couple of times and I’m glad to see it wasn’t just me. Mine acted like it wouldn’t go up a ramp and a steep driveway incline without more gas or feathering the clutch. Only happened twice but it made me think WTF.
My previous daily was an 84 4Runner stick shift. Before that was an 89 4Runner stick shift. Before that was a 2015 WRX stick shift (geez did that transmission and clutch SUCK). That 2015 WRX tranny did not go from 1st to 2nd without bouncing your head around. My Bronco’s 7MT is just butter, and it got even better after the ProCal install. Rev matching is AWESOME!!
Tell me more about this ProCal install

Sponsored

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I do similar, often skipping 5th depending on the length of the ramp, as well as the current weather. Again this all depends on your gearing.
I'm SAS on 35s so 4.7

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I was wondering if 91 or 93 might give enough torque to make 4th gear work for you.

I don't drive very much so I put 93 in mine and I find the amount torque the 2.3 is surprising.
I only use 93
Yea, I'm interested too. The rev match alone was one thing I felt would be worthwhile.

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I recommend doing the install Mon-Fri 10am-3pm in case you need to call Tech support. Getting the software up to date was the only stumbling block for me, but it updated itself after a few tries. You should place your Bronco's battery on a charger during the install because you will be going in and out a few times, turn on the ignition a couple of times, but never starting the vehicle so it could drain the battery. The ProCal will get your As-Built data and back it up, then you download the new calibration to the ECU. The 2.3L will now make 330hP and 385ft-lbs of Torque when you run 93 Octane fuel. You can calibrate your speedo for different tire sizes. Your transmission will now downshift with a rev matching feature that is just incredible. You get a couple mpg's back as well. I went from 14.1 to 16.2 mpgs. I used to see a maximum 225 miles to empty after filling up, but yesterday it said 243 miles to empty. It will probably get better too.

I3lackRose

Banned
Big Bend
Banned
Banned
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I recommend doing the install Mon-Fri 10am-3pm in case you need to call Tech support. Getting the software up to date was the only stumbling block for me, but it updated itself after a few tries. You should place your Bronco's battery on a charger during the install because you will be going in and out a few times, turn on the ignition a couple of times, but never starting the vehicle so it could drain the battery. The ProCal will get your As-Built data and back it up, then you download the new calibration to the ECU. The 2.3L will now make 330hP and 385ft-lbs of Torque when you run 93 Octane fuel. You can calibrate your speedo for different tire sizes. Your transmission will now downshift with a rev matching feature that is just incredible. You get a couple mpg's back as well. I went from 14.1 to 16.2 mpgs. I used to see a maximum 225 miles to empty after filling up, but yesterday it said 243 miles to empty. It will probably get better too.
So you did install yourself? No issue with warranty if you install yourself?

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You're going to talk me into it. My mileage is in the toilet because it's so lethargic on anything bigger than 33s so it takes more throttle. I don't like being locked in to premium though.

Last edited:

Sponsored

blumtn

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'83 Toyota 4x4, '93 FJ80, '01 F250 4x4, '86 FXRS
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I guess I need to learn how these new fangled machines work (my Brondo is schedule to ship next week). Part of the reason I like manuals is that I control the shift points and throttle. This "rev matching feature" makes it sound like the ECU does.

ldcobb2

Badlands
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
cencalbroncos.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok so I'm assuming this is the Ford Performance calibration that doesn't void the warranty. Unfortunately I live in the People's Republic of California and they have not approved the use of this device on my personal vehicle.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just to add, I don’t think they released the 2023 calibrations yet in case anyone is looking for that MY.

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So you did install yourself? No issue with warranty if you install yourself?
The dealership was going to charge me $200 for the install. My Bronco is a Salvage with No Warranty anyway, so it was just a money choice for me. You might prefer to have the dealership install it if you’re worried about Warranty ramifications.

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I guess I need to learn how these new fangled machines work (my Brondo is schedule to ship next week). Part of the reason I like manuals is that I control the shift points and throttle. This "rev matching feature" makes it sound like the ECU does.
In stock form You are controlling your shift patterns and engine rev’s. The ProCal just adds programming to blip the throttle when you go down a gear. That’s a trick I never learned and it makes downshifts seamless.
Sponsored