Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Ford Bronco 7MT Extreme Rev Hang 673

Go drive literally any other modern MT and then come back and lecture us on how severe our own Bronco is. Your idea of what extreme hang is and almost everyone else's who drives another modern MT differs by a bit.

Learn to drive it, tune it, or sell it.
Sponsored

gwp

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson FLTRUSE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Remember, just because you don’t notice it doesn’t mean it’s not there. Are you saying that when you clutch in, the revs instantly drop by several thousand?
yes

gwp

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson FLTRUSE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Please hold while I grab my camera and hold it in front of the dashboard while accelerating through the gears. (I have nothing else to do today.) Let's see, one hand on the wheel, one on the camera, one shifting, and one holding the cigar. Did I mention the cigar? My Bronco will not start unless there is a lit Toro in one hand. I confess this interferes slightly with speed shifting my Bronco at my local track (Summit Point). Sasquatch lap times are SLOW.

Dude, on a serious note, I am (maybe was) trying to be helpful. I've driven dozens of manuals in the last few years, and I'm aware of rev hang when it happens. Rev hang is annoying as hell when it interferes with your shifting habits. I did not buy a BMW with a manual as a result of this issue... noting their 8 speed slush-box is as quick as many double clutch units and has an uncanny ability to read driver intent. The manual, on the other hand... well, it did lap better than my Bronco at Summit Point.

So with continuing intent to be helpful, I'll say that if you notice it, and it bothers you, you have the option of fixing it, getting used to it, or getting a different vehicle. If you notice it and it doesn't bother you, be happy. And, in my case, as I don't notice any rev hang, I'm going to similarly just be happy, and wish you the best in resolving your issue.

Reactions: abe
OP
OP

bronco100

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Please hold while I grab my camera and hold it in front of the dashboard while accelerating through the gears. (I have nothing else to do today.) Let's see, one hand on the wheel, one on the camera, one shifting, and one holding the cigar. Did I mention the cigar? My Bronco will not start unless there is a lit Toro in one hand. I confess this interferes slightly with speed shifting my Bronco at my local track (Summit Point). Sasquatch lap times are SLOW.

Dude, on a serious note, I am (maybe was) trying to be helpful. I've driven dozens of manuals in the last few years, and I'm aware of rev hang when it happens. Rev hang is annoying as hell when it interferes with your shifting habits. I did not buy a BMW with a manual as a result of this issue... noting their 8 speed slush-box is as quick as many double clutch units and has an uncanny ability to read driver intent. The manual, on the other hand... well, it did lap better than my Bronco at Summit Point.

So with continuing intent to be helpful, I'll say that if you notice it, and it bothers you, you have the option of fixing it, getting used to it, or getting a different vehicle. If you notice it and it doesn't bother you, be happy. And, in my case, as I don't notice any rev hang, I'm going to similarly just be happy, and wish you the best in resolving your issue.
Ok, I was more so just curious because you said “yes” that “when you clutch in, the revs instantly drop by several thousand” and I don’t know why you’d say that when that’s not the case. Again just because you don’t notice it doesn’t mean it’s not the case. A video would help you to refer back and look objectively to see that the revs don’t drop instantly.

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ok, I was more so just curious because you said “yes” that “when you clutch in, the revs instantly drop by several thousand” and I don’t know why you’d say that when that’s not the case. Again just because you don’t notice it doesn’t mean it’s not the case. A video would help you to refer back and look objectively to see that the revs don’t drop instantly.
I fail to see why revs would need to drop that far to shift. How high do you have it before you shift and how low do you like it when you finish your shift?

406g

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the info @Boreal and everyone else.

I'm going to get the 2.3L Ford performance tune and see if that improves things. If it doesn't make much difference, I'll get a lightweight flywheel as well. Will report back here and let y'all know how it goes.
Did you end up getting the tune? Any luck?
Sponsored