Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

• Banned
Hi, I’m curious on others thoughts/experience using a manual transmission for off-road fun having, Vs automatic transmission. I’m no stranger to a standard transmission, my daily driver is a 6 speed Audi. My question is related to off-road, low speed use. How much of a pain in the ass is to use a clutch for off-road? Like if I’m crawling will I wear that clutch out as it would be disengaged. If I’m at a Harry spot on descending grade and I need to stop, I’ll then be worried about stalling out trying to navigate the obstacles.

what are your guys experience with standard Vs auto for off road obstacles?

with banks opening soon, I want to make sure I make an informed decision when I place my order. I really want a 7spd, but a little concerned. Thank you.
Sponsored

Morganstein

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I love my manual off-road. I also had concerns before I got mine since the vast majority of my off-roading has been in automatics, but it's honestly great. If you're comfortable in a manual in general, you'll be fine off-road.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I used to off-road an automatic Jeep but now have a manual Bronco. There is a small learning curve but I was able to adapt quickly. My type off-roading usually involves rocks and step inclines. Don't even bother with 1st when climbing grades or traversing rocks, just put it in C and let the Bronco do it's thing. The manual does have some tech built in as well such as auto-restart if you stall and push the clutch in, the ability to start in gear without having to depress the clutch, as well as down hill assist. Also, when using C you just let out the clutch and go, no need to feather any throttle.

TheSSBoz

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23' Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It depends on the off road use case but the manual crawl gear is really nice in slow terrain....but it will still stall on you (and the bronco will fire back up when fully depressing the clutch again).

Just know that Crawl does not like you pressing and releasing the clutch...it kind of makes the bronco "buck". Its a bit of a learning curve to know what its going to do and what RPMs are good.

While not being a total deal breaker, for me personally and my more overlanding type application, I miss my Auto (in all driving scenarios) where I could focus on the drive and zero on the transmission....hence still waiting on my original reservation/order....

351W-Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco,1969 Bronco, 2001 Excursion (7.3L)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No idea when my '22MY Badlands, SAS, 2.3L manual trans will get built or show up, but I've been wheeling my '69 Bronco with a ZF 5 speed manual trans for over 20 years, and can't imagine not having a MT for wheeling.
A MT does make a good crawl ratio much more critical IMO than in an auto trans though.

Sponsored

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It depends on the off road use case but the manual crawl gear is really nice in slow terrain....but it will still stall on you (and the bronco will fire back up when fully depressing the clutch again).

Just know that Crawl does not like you pressing and releasing the clutch...it kind of makes the bronco "buck". Its a bit of a learning curve to know what its going to do and what RPMs are good.

While not being a total deal breaker, for me personally and my more overlanding type application, I miss my Auto (in all driving scenarios) where I could focus on the drive and zero on the transmission....hence still waiting on my original reservation/order....
So do you just clutch, switch to C, unclutch and then let it do its thing after with zero clutching while in C gear?

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I used to off-road an automatic Jeep but now have a manual Bronco. There is a small learning curve but I was able to adapt quickly. My type off-roading usually involves rocks and step inclines. Don't even bother with 1st when climbing grades or traversing rocks, just put it in C and let the Bronco do it's thing. The manual does have some tech built in as well such as auto-restart if you stall and push the clutch in, the ability to start in gear without having to depress the clutch, as well as down hill assist. Also, when using C you just let out the clutch and go, no need to feather any throttle.
With start in gear, if I understand it correctly, if you stall you would just then leave it in C without pressing the clutch and only hit the brakes and press the starter button?

jasonkosi

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

4Low and crawl gear pretty much makes it impossible to stall. Gives you amazing low speed control over obstacles, even when descending steeper hills. You can use the brakes to slow down further still, I had the speedo read 0 at one point and the engine was still at idle speed. Otherwise 4L+C will go over damn near anything with no throttle input at about 2kph

DaveInSA

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 4DR, 2007 Saturn Sky
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have not had the opportunity to take my 7MT crawling over rocks yet. I've played with crawl in 4L in dirt, but no steep angles so no real maneuvering around obstacles and possibly stalling. With the gearing in crawl being so ridiculously high (I think it's like 94:1 or something) the clutch acts more as an on/off.. not a ton of feathering going on.
I did drive a 2.7 auto at off roadeo which includes crawling. Having had access to the tools the auto gives you, trail assist, one pedal control, and trail turn assist.... I wish I had an auto. Pretty sure I'm going to order a replacement whenever banks open back up. Switching to a 2.7 auto and lux package.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As one of the posters above said, You don’t really use the clutch in Crawl gear. It’s either fully engaged or not.

I bought the 10 speed auto, in my opinion it works as well if not better for crawling (fire suit on). Going down hill, first gear manual and off the brakes. You can also use “one peddle drive” also impressive.

I drove a modified 1950 CJ3A off road for many years. Without antilock brakes, you NEVER wanted to use the brakes going down a steep incline. Just crawl down in first gear low range and steer.

Sponsored

bloominguez

Black Diamond
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Br BD, '22 5BW, '95 Integra, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I drove a manual at the Off-Roadeo in Austin. Crawler gear makes things super easy. If you can drive a manual, the Bronco's gearing makes it easy.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's fantastic. Crawl is so low that it's a poor man's one pedal drive.

@66GT will attest, even without the extra driver aids I kept up with his 2.7/10AT no problem.

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I think the manual with lockers would be pretty damn good in the rocks. I've been slumming it with open diffs and still manage to get around pretty well. Although it sometimes requires a higher ratio of beans to finesse. The gasps from the peanut gallery make me cringe more than the screech of metal-on-rock :)

If you get the manual and like to spend time in the rocks, shell out for the pre-paid maintenance plan (its separate from the extended warranty). It covers clutch replacement any time you might need it, regardless of maintenance interval.

66GT

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Marauder, 66 Mustang GT, 65 Ranchero, 64 Comet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's fantastic. Crawl is so low that it's a poor man's one pedal drive.

@66GT will attest, even without the extra driver aids I kept up with his 2.7/10AT no problem.
Forget about just keeping up... I am still trying to figure out how you managed to follow me (at night) down the sxs trail with no TTA... either you're a 4x4 magician.. or you rubbed a lot of trees (and hid all the evidence).. or you did a lot of 9-point turns back there... lol

🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲
🌲🌲🌲🚙🌲🌲🌲
🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲🌲

Ford Bronco 7speed manual for off-road/crawling Screenshot_20220716-232110_Gallery

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jon_chimpo

Jon_chimpo

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Perfect. Thanks for all the insight thus far.

I’m pretty much where I was.
BL non sas 7spd upgraded wheels
Or WT with H3.0.
There is not one trim that gives me exactly what I want…thinking it’s the BL for the W though. The standard trans sounds like it’s not much to stress about wheelin.
Sponsored

Last edited: