Happy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Yamaha
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Question for the guys who have a new Bronco already. Does your air recirculation button work if your air conditioning or heater is not on? Mine won’t unless I turn the air conditioning or heater.

PS: I was at the dealer today, and the only answer I got from the tech was it looks like it was designed wrong(bad design)
Sponsored

Last edited:

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Question for the guys who have a new Bronco already. Does your air recirculation button work if your air conditioning or heater is not on? Mine won’t unless I turn the air conditioning or heater.

PS: I was at the dealer today and the only answer I got from the tech waist looks like it was designed wrong(bad design)
Which system do you have? Dual electronic or manual?

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Note: Recirculated air may turn off automatically, or prevent you from switching on in all air flow modes except MAX A/C to reduce the risk of fogging. Recirculation may also turn on and off automatically in various air distribution control combinations to improve heating or cooling efficiency.

Ford Bronco Air recirculation not working. Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 12.33.48
Ford Bronco Air recirculation not working. Screen Shot 2021-10-19 at 12.34.14

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here's what the WSM says. Basically, it determines what you need, not what you want. LOL

Heating and Ventilation

The heating and ventilation system:

• controls the temperature of the air inside the vehicle.
  • delivers heated or cooled air to maintain the vehicle interior temperature and comfort level.
  • reduces the relative humidity of the air inside the vehicle (during A/C compressor operation).
The heating and ventilation system uses a reheat method to provide conditioned air to the passenger compartment. Temperature blending is controlled by the temperature doors, which regulate the amount of air that flows through and around the heater core, where it is then mixed and distributed. All airflow from the blower motor passes through the A/C evaporator core.

This vehicle is equipped with Auto-Start-Stop and has a cabin heater coolant pump.

Cabin heat during an Auto Start-Stop operation

The cabin heater coolant pump is available on vehicles equipped with Auto Start - Stop feature. The cabin heater coolant pump provides coolant to the heater core whenever the HVAC system requests heat and the vehicle is in auto start-stop mode. Refer to the Owner's Literature, Unique Driving Characteristics for full auto start-stop enabling/disabling information.

Auto Start-Stop Deactivation Switch

The Auto Start-Stop deactivation switch is available on vehicles equipped with Auto Start- Stop feature. Auto Start-Stop deactivation switch is a momentary contact switch that includes a LED indicator. This switch is used to deactivate the Auto Start-Stop mode. Refer to the Owner's Literature, Unique Driving Characteristics, for full Auto Start-Stop enabling/disabling information.

Air Handling

There are 4 door actuators that control the HVAC system air flow into the passenger compartment:

• Air distribution
  • Air inlet
  • Driver temperature
  • Passenger temperature
All of the door actuators contain a reversible electric motor and a potentiometer. The potentiometer circuit consists of a 5-volt reference signal connected to one end of a variable resistor, and a signal ground connected to the other. A signal circuit is connected to a contact wiper, which is driven along the variable resistor by the actuator shaft. The signal to the HVAC control module from the contact wiper indicates the actuator door position. The HVAC control module powers the actuator motors to move the doors to the desired positions. The desired door positions are calculated by the HVAC control module based on the set temperature, in-vehicle temperature, and ambient air temperature.

When an airflow mode, desired temperature, fresh air, or recirculation mode is selected, the HVAC control module moves the actuator motor in the desired direction.

The HVAC control module sends a PWM signal to the blower motor control module to regulate the blower speed as necessary. The blower motor control module provides variable ground feed for the blower motor based on the input from the HVAC control module. A delay function provides a gradual increase or decrease in blower motor speed under all conditions.

AUTO

When AUTO is selected:

• the HVAC system operates in a manner to achieve and maintain the temperature set by the operator.
  • the air inlet door actuator is automatically controlled by the HVAC module based on the temperature setting.
  • the mode door actuator is automatically controlled by the HVAC module based on the temperature setting.
  • the temperature door is automatically controlled by the HVAC module based on the temperature setting.
  • the A/C compressor is automatically controlled by the HVAC control module based on the temperature setting. The A/C compressor does not operate if the outside temperature is below approximately 2ºC (35.6ºF).
  • the blower motor speed is automatically controlled through the blower motor speed control when it receives a PWM signal from the HVAC control module based on the temperature setting, but can be manually adjusted if desired.
OFF

When OFF is selected:

• the recirculated air request button is disabled.
  • the A/C request button is disabled.
  • the air inlet door closes, preventing outside air and allowing only recirculated air.
  • the blower motor is off.
Max A/C

When MAX A/C mode is selected:

• the air distribution doors operate simultaneously to direct airflow to the instrument panel registers. A small amount of airflow from the floor ducts are present.
  • the temperature door moves to the full cool position.
  • the blower motor is commanded to the highest speed, but can be manually adjusted if desired.
  • the air inlet door closes, preventing outside air and admitting only recirculated air.
  • the recirculated air indicator is illuminated (recirculated air forced on).
  • the A/C button is illuminated.
  • the A/C compressor operates if the outside temperature is above approximately 2°C (35.6°F).
PANEL

When PANEL mode is selected:

• the mode doors direct airflow to the instrument panel registers. A small amount of airflow from the floor ducts is present.
  • the recirculated air request button can be enabled.
  • blended air temperature is available. The airflow temperature can only be cooled below the outside air temperature when the A/C is commanded on.
  • the blower motor is on and the speed is adjustable.
PANEL-FLOOR

When PANEL-FLOOR mode is selected:

• the mode doors direct airflow to the floor ducts and the instrument panel registers.
  • blended air temperature is available. The airflow temperature can only be cooled below the outside air temperature when the A/C is commanded on.
FLOOR

When FLOOR is selected:

• the mode doors direct airflow to the floor ducts.
FLOOR-DEFROST

When FLOOR-DEFROST is selected:

• the mode doors direct airflow to the floor ducts, the defroster duct and the side window demisters.
  • the recirculated air request button can be enabled, but can automatically turn off.
DEFROST

When DEFROST is selected:

• the mode doors direct airflow to the defroster duct and side window demisters. A small amount of airflow from the floor ducts is present.
  • the recirculated air request button can be enabled, but can automatically turn off.
  • the A/C is automatically commanded on and remains on until the system is either turned off or the airflow mode has changed and the A/C button is pressed.
  • the A/C compressor operates as long as the outside temperature is above approximately 2°C (35.6°F).

Sponsored

jasonkosi

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

OFF

When OFF is selected:

• the recirculated air request button is disabled.
  • the A/C request button is disabled.
  • the air inlet door closes, preventing outside air and allowing only recirculated air.
  • the blower motor is off.
Based on this it seems if your climate control is off, then air is recirculating automatically, albeit without actually blowing the air around the cabin

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Based on this it seems if your climate control is off, then air is recirculating automatically, albeit without actually blowing the air around the cabin
It's sort of contradictory. If it's off, blower shouldn't be on but can understand recirc. being the default position for the inlet door. It's kind of like running in recirc. but noticing an air volume change when it automatically pulls in fresh air after a pre determined amount of time. Light doesn't go off but you know something changed.

DrSquatch

Big Bend
First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Explorer ST
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Well, that's a little disappointing. I like to always use recirculation in certain circumstances like on the highway or following an older vehicle to prevent exhaust fumes from entering the cabin.

Contact

Big Bend
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend. FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I just had a peculiar thing happen when operating the A/C. No matter what setting(except for Max A/C) the air flow came from the defrost ducts. The air was warm and not cold. I fidgeted with all the settings. I ended up changing where I wanted the air flow to come from and it seemed to work for a short time. After doing this a couple of times it is operating normally, but I am now wondering what and if this will keep happening. Maybe vacuum stuck? No clue.

Bradley Thornton

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sequoia TRD sport, 2021 Badlands Sas, 93 Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is one thing I hate about newer rides I want it on all the time on older rides I could turn it on and it would stay that way. I don't personally want any outside air. For one the cabin filter or coils will get clogged up faster also allergy season it sucks.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This is one thing I hate about newer rides I want it on all the time on older rides I could turn it on and it would stay that way. I don't personally want any outside air. For one the cabin filter or coils will get clogged up faster also allergy season it sucks.
Just the opposite. I have never chosen Recirc. I always allow outside air(just shut off shortly in a tunnel) and adjust temp appropriately.

nameuser

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
67 Halfcab
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Just followed another vehicle in the desert for quite a while and ate his dust. The recirc button would only stay on for a few minutes and then go off.
My last Toyota did this but if you held the recirc button down for 3 seconds it would stay engaged.
I am not totally anti-nanny but come on Ford!!!

Frangiepod

Badlands
First Name
Angela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 4 dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Note: Recirculated air may turn off automatically, or prevent you from switching on in all air flow modes except MAX A/C to reduce the risk of fogging. Recirculation may also turn on and off automatically in various air distribution control combinations to improve heating or cooling efficiency.

All I have to say is that’s really lame. Why cant I choose what I want in my own car. I dont want to suck in exhaust fumes all day. I miss the days when you could choose a mode and it would stay that way. I can appreciate some of the tech but this kind of thing just like auto stop/start just sucks. Wonder if there will be a computer program edit avail someday…? Someone already came out with a start/stop work around…

ryridesmotox

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Anyone found a fix for this? I was offroading and mine wouldn't stay on recirc and I had dust blowing out of my vents for days. It's really freaking annoying.

Frangiepod

Badlands
First Name
Angela
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 4 dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

PS: I was at the dealer today, and the only answer I got from the tech was it looks like it was designed wrong(bad design)
Yep thats correct. Its the way the system works. Totally sucks. The only was recirc will stay on is in MAX AC mode. Otherwise the system decides which in my case is always off so I get to choke down car fumes and CA smoke in the summer.
My other car (not Ford) does the same damn thing. I think it must be a new federal mandate?
Sponsored