A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX 2dr.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The Answer to that is, Probably, but not necessarily :)

Have you checked the voltage at the battery when the ignition is off, and after it's been sitting a while? For instance, the first time you drive it for the day? If the voltage then is around 12.25, The battery is probably OK That seems to be where Ford has programmed the battery to be at rest..

Do you have any unusual loads on the system? Lots of extra lights or other things like that?

Have you added any grounds for accessories, and if you have did you place any connectors UNDER the metal pads at the end of a ground cable? That's what was killing me I believe... It's also worth checking all the factory grounds under hood for tightness.

People have reported factory connections that were loose, It's probably worth going over all the Nuts and and connections on the battery and under hood fuse block, and make sure they are tight.
I have no aftermarket lights/anything hooked up.
I'm going to monitor the voltage when I'm driving tonight, and see what it does.
Sponsored

OP
OP
zuke

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have no aftermarket lights/anything hooked up.
I'm going to monitor the voltage when I'm driving tonight, and see what it does.
Probably really worth going over all the factory connections then... Also, The cold in PA right now could be having an effect on both you and @LockedBronco . In my reading on AGM Batteries, they require greater voltage to charge at temps below freezing... Did the behavior start with this recent cold snap?

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So should I be concerned if my 2.7L lux runs about 15.1-15.3 usually?
Now that it is cold that is what mine is doing but during the summer it would go down to 12.3 and up to 15.1 driving and everywhere in between. Hit a bump, hard stop or quick turn voltage would change. Acting like a loose connection somewhere.

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Probably really worth going over all the factory connections then... Also, The cold in PA right now could be having an effect on both you and @LockedBronco . In my reading on AGM Batteries, they require greater voltage to charge at temps below freezing... Did the behavior start with this recent cold snap?
No
But now staying around 15.2 most of the time now.
So now I am wondering why yours is 14.7
I checked grounds by hand maybe putting a wrench on them because of what you found.

OP
OP
zuke

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No
But now staying around 15.2 most of the time now.
So now I am wondering why yours is 14.7
I checked grounds by hand maybe putting a wrench on them because of what you found.
Oh I'd definitely put a wrench on them. I didn't put a lot of force on anything, maybe 25-40 ftlb.. It didn't move probably 75% of the things I touched (Fuse block, all underhood grounds all connector points on the battery cables, and don't forget the cables that run to the big distribution fuse bank thingie to the left on the fuse box as you look at it over the fender)

The other 25% of the nuts/bolts I turned I got about a 1/4 turn out of...

Also, It's been much warmer in Virignia so far this week (If you can call 26 to 35 degrees warm) Hell we got in to the low 40's today!

Sponsored

FleshTuxedo

Outer Banks
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX 2dr.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So tonight I was driving a bit and noticed that after the Bronco was warmed up and with seat heaters/steering wheel heater on and the heat set to 72 degrees, my voltage was about 14.5 for the most part. I don't think I need to be alarmed.

OP
OP
zuke

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So tonight I was driving a bit and noticed that after the Bronco was warmed up and with seat heaters/steering wheel heater on and the heat set to 72 degrees, my voltage was about 14.5 for the most part. I don't think I need to be alarmed.
Interesting, I have no idea how much the heated seats and steering wheel draw, But I'd bet it's not insignificant! (A quick search on google seems to put each at about 3 to 5 Amps, but that's just general, not even Bronco centric)

If you haven't received any actual charging system alarms, then I think you're right... Your Bronco's not alarmed, so you probably shouldn't be either.

I'd continue to monitor what's going on until things warm up a bit though..

OP
OP
zuke

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Another trouble free day, The commute in this morning was at 22 Degrees and Voltage peaked at 14.5 on the way into work, Temps on the way home were in the high 40s and peak voltage was 14.0, with most of the trip actually at 13.5v and below... I think there is a definite temperature delta.

My original problem started when we were in the 60s and 70s here though, so I still think mine in particular was screwed up, likely by what I had done to the fender ground.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've been watching my Voltage (per the dash guage) for the last several days. I'm almost always between 13.5 - 13.9v...if I forget to turn off ASS it will jump briefly to like 14.1 once it starts back up.

But temps in the 50s for me and she's kept in a garage.

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Last night 14.9
This morning 14.7 went to 15.1 momentarily a couple times. Haven't done anything yet so the cold must be it.
If this is normal then I just need to stop looking at the gage because around 14v has always been normal for the past 20 years and seeing the voltage move up and down just looks like something is wrong.

Sponsored
OP
OP
zuke

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last night 14.9
This morning 14.7 went to 15.1 momentarily a couple times. Haven't done anything yet so the cold must be it.
If this is normal then I just need to stop looking at the gage because around 14v has always been normal for the past 20 years and seeing the voltage move up and down just looks like something is wrong.
I think you may be right! Even after all the stuff I've done, I still see it jump up around turns, and on decel and settle right back down... the numbers aer much lower then they were, but I still get some big variance on a drive.

If you aren't getting alarms.. I wouldn't worry about it!

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Last night 14.9
I think you're right, and is the approach that I adopted about a week ago. I've been staring at the gauge and worrying for about a month, but I've come to accept that it's a modern system with a battery I'm unfamiliar with. My numbers came down a bit after tightening grounds and haven't really changed since.

I've decided to not worry about it unless I get a warning or it won't start. Still keeping an eye on it, though.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Anything in the 13.x - 14.x range I would consider normal. If you get up into the 15.x range, especially if it stays there....that would make me question.

OP
OP
zuke

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After a full week of commuting with out a single alarm, and "normal" voltage ranges, I'm going to stop staring at the voltage gauge. I'll stare at again next good cold snap we get, or if I get another alarm...

Now, Back to the upgrade alternator though, I'm still going to be watching where that goes, but just the aftermarket, and not necessarily a more powerful one, since it looks like it's plenty powerful enough.. But one that's sealed is intriguing!

If anyone was actually following the Squeaky JKU that was a sideshow earlier in the thread... Finally got assistance (my Son) at the shop and isolated it.... The Heim Joints on my Hydro Assist Ram! While looking for it though, Also determined that I need a new pinion seal on the front diff, all new Duroflex Joints in the Metalcloak Arms (I've got about 80,000 miles on these joints, so I'm not complaining), and new Tie rod ends on the Tie Rod...

None of this really comes as a surprise, My wife beats the poor JKU mercilessly.. In all fairness though, her spotter (me) might sorta encourage her too :D

CarbonBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 Toyota $runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So keeping you guys in the loop with my updates from the big boss at DC Power. He has been working on things and is currently in the electrical testing phase. This is monumentally groundbreaking for us to say the least. I’m sure he is following this thread as well as checking out a lot of the documented cases with the factory units failures. Something I learned from him today was also that our alternators have not tensioners on them they use a flex belt from when he was explaining. Some times I notice on my rig the major fluctuation in alternator voltage reading which I don’t really trust wholeheartedly. Ranging from 12.5v to spiking up to 15.8v sometimes. Possibly due to the fact the bronco is on a stretch belt possibly creating slippage. I’m truly excited to see fruition come about on this alternator upgrade that we all need!
Sponsored