Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 2.3/Manual and a Gaggle of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes it is adjustable in forescan...OEM is set to 80% IIRC
Yup, I actually saw it in forscan last night, and it is set to 80%.

Not gonna change it yet, but not gonna rule it out as something that might be an improvement to a working setup.
Sponsored

OP
OP
zuke

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seems like Ford is intentionally Isolating bolts from ground, I checked the bolts I could get to on the radiator support, and all of them are high resistance to ground, including the ones that hold the hood latch on, and yet the support itself is 0 ohms to the battery negative everywhere I could get to it.

I looked a the places under the hood that you'd have to have a ground, and found that all of them have dedicated ground wires.

Some good examples;

The PCM Bracket;

Ford Bronco Alternator Upgrade 1672006459091

The Ground strap at the top has 0 ohms, and the PCM case itself has 0 Ohms (Delivered through the PCM Connector itself, not the bracket). The two bolts holding the bracket on are high resistance, The Bolt to the right is on the airbox, And it is starngely 0 Ohms to ground.

The Cowl has two;

Ford Bronco Alternator Upgrade 1672006990519

Ford Bronco Alternator Upgrade 1672007322309

The Bolts on the radiator overflow to the right have high resistance.

I've been using the one on the driver's side to hook up all the grounds for stuff I add, But that was because it's right by all the Aux Wires so I just went there, I didn't realize it was going to be the only decent ground around there. All the other other exposed zinc bolts on the cowl have high resistance.

The Accessory ready bolts (Torx Bolts on the plastic near the mirrors) have 0 ohms.

Most of the stuff under the dash is the same, With dedicated grounds at posts, and sensors on the Brake Clutch and Accelerator all having their own grounds fed in (That's not that unusual), But all the brackets holding the pedals, and the bolts and nuts holding them in place having high resistance.

Moving around to other places, I found these places that WERE good ground paths; Door Strikers, The Windshield Header and the Grab Handle Bolts. Most all the trim screws I tested were High Resistance.

The ground I originally used when I put in the first Amp was under one of the D-Rings in the cargo floor, I checked those again today, and they are high resistance. The 8 Gauge wire I use now to ground the amp rack is on a dedicated ground to the body I actually Drilled, Connected with a lug and bolted, and then painted over. That one thankfully is 0 Ohms.

My conclusion from all this is that Ford isn't really intentionally isolating bolts, they just aren't doing anything to get ground where it's not needed to run their systems. This is both bad and good, It means you can't just run to any bolt that goes into the body for a ground (Something I've been doing for 40 years) But it also means the number of places we have to look when we suspect a ground problem is limited, which will make troubleshooting somewhat easier.

I checked everything I've added, and went over and tightened all the factory grounds I could find. The BMS seems to be operating properly right now.

We'll see how it does this week on my normal commute, and hopefully we can call it good by next Friday..

Last edited:

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Seems like Ford is intentionally Isolating bolts from ground, I checked the bolts I could get to on the radiator support, and all of them are high resistance to ground, including the ones that hold the hood latch on, and yet the support itself is 0 ohms to the battery negative everywhere I could get to it.

I looked a the places under the hood that you'd have to have a ground, and found that all of them have dedicated ground wires.

Some good examples;

The PCM Bracket;

1672006459091.jpeg

The Ground strap at the top has 0 ohms, and the PCM case itself has 0 Ohms (Delivered through the PCM Connector itself, not the bracket). The Bolt to the right is on the airbox, And it is starngely 0 Ohms to ground.

The Cowl has two;

1672006990519.jpeg

1672007322309.jpeg

I've been using the one on the driver's side to hook up all the grounds for stuff I add, But that was because it's right by all the Aux Wires so I just went there, I didn't realize it was going to be the only decent ground around there. All the other other exposed zinc bolts on the cowl have high resistance.

The Accessory ready bolts (Torx Bolts on the plastic near the mirrors) have 0 ohms.

Most of the stuff under the dash is the same, With dedicated grounds at posts, and sensors on the Brake Clutch and Accelerator all having their own grounds fed in (That's not that unusual), But all the brackets holding the pedals, and the bolts and nuts holding them in place having high resistance.

Moving around to other places, I found these places that WERE good ground paths; Door Strikers, The Windshield Header and the Grab Handle Bolts. Most all the trim screws I tested were High Resistance.

The ground I originally used when I put in the first Amp was under one of the D-Rings in the cargo floor, I checked those again today, and they are high resistance. The 8 Gauge wire I use now to ground the amp rack is on a dedicated ground to the body I actually Drilled, Connected with a lug and bolted, and then painted over. That one thankfully is 0 Ohms.

My conclusion from all this is that Ford isn't really intentionally isolating bolts, they just aren't doing anything to get ground where it's not needed to run their systems. This is both bad and good, It means you can't just run to any bolt that goes into the body for a ground (Something I've been doing for 40 years) But it also means the number of places we have to look when we suspect a ground problem is limited, which will make troubleshooting somewhat easier.

I checked everything I've added, and went over and tightened all the factory grounds I could find. The BMS seems to be operating properly right now.

We'll see how it does this week on my normal commute, and hopefully we can call it good by next Friday..
Hopefully you got it but if you continue to have a problem unfortunately I would put everything stock and see if it continues.

OP
OP
zuke

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hopefully you got it but if you continue to have a problem unfortunately I would put everything stock and see if it continues.
It was close to stock for two days, Thursday With the exception of the still not corrected fender ground, Friday I was stock, But I still gto a charging error Friday morning. Saturday and today I didn't get any errors, but I didn't make the long run to work yet either, That will be tomorrow. If I do get an error this week, I will return everything to stock, and see how it behaves, and I'll likely be taking it to a dealer at that point, because I'm pretty much down to a bad alternator at that point.

OP
OP
zuke

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

BTW, how is yours behaving the last few days, Any change?

Sponsored

LockedBronco

Big Bend
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
BTW, how is yours behaving the last few days, Any change?
Did a 2 hour trip Friday 1 hour highway then little over a hour return on back roads home.
On the highway voltage was 15.1 -15.4v
Parked for around a hour
Started on the way home on back roads and 14.8v....... hay cool just needed a long run ........nope. Something new happened 5 minutes from home the dash and touch screen went dark once(flashed). Voltage at 15.2 when parked.
Haven't done anything with it since Friday will check it in the morning.
Have appointment for dealer this week going to have battery check added...again so they will probably say it is ok.😡again.
Found 15.9 will/should set over change code so 15.4v it's getting there.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Some good examples;

The PCM Bracket;

The Ground strap at the top has 0 ohms, and the PCM case itself has 0 Ohms (Delivered through the PCM Connector itself, not the bracket). The Bolt to the right is on the airbox, And it is starngely 0 Ohms to ground.

The Cowl has two;

Interesting information, thanks...this explains why one of my amps grounded to the seat bolt sounds like shit compared to the other identical one with ground to battery wired

OP
OP
zuke

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did a 2 hour trip Friday 1 hour highway then little over a hour return on back roads home.
On the highway voltage was 15.1 -15.4v
Parked for around a hour
Started on the way home on back roads and 14.8v....... hay cool just needed a long run ........nope. Something new happened 5 minutes from home the dash and touch screen went dark once(flashed). Voltage at 15.2 when parked.
Haven't done anything with it since Friday will check it in the morning.
Have appointment for dealer this week going to have battery check added...again so they will probably say it is ok.😡again.
Found 15.9 will/should set over change code so 15.4v it's getting there.
Oh Man, hopefully continuous high voltage hasn't started frying other systems... On the other hand it'll probably get your dealer to dig a bit deeper if it has.

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BaseSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I hooked my winch negative to that open hole, and I've been wondering if I should be running it directly to the battery or not. The idea of pulling that many amps through that sensor does worry me a bit.
if it's any consolation, that's where Ford itself instructs you to ground its own Ford Performance/ Warn winch kit (and where Everglades models do the same from the factory).

Ford Bronco Alternator Upgrade 1672113692614

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The Bronco behaved itself today no alarms, Highest voltage I saw was 14.7 on the trip into work.

THANK YOU Zuke. I haven't been much help to you, but for some reason this thread has caught my interest and I've been following.

One of your last posts, you talked about how there seems to be different bolts with different resistance.

Yesterday, I installed my GMRS radio under my center console. I tapped into the power wire that feeds the 12 volt plug inside the center console (so that my radio will stay powered on for N minutes after shutting off the Bronco) and grounded it to a bolt used to secure the power inverter (which I tested to be ground-able with my ohm meter.

When I tried out my radio...it sounded like shit! Very staticy, could barely communicate with my walkie 10 feet away.

And then this thread popped into my head. For the hell of it, I moved my ground wire to a different bolt and BAM! Issue resolved.

So Even though the first bolt tested good, there was something about it. I will admit, it was a weird looking bolt... Had some sort of grooves cut in it... Almost looks like a tap plus, as I was moving my ground wire, I noticed that the bolt look like it may have had some sort of coating on it. So even though it tested good it wasn't.

So I hope your last round does fix your issues...your troubleshooting helped fix my totally unrelated one.

Lesson for all: grounding a wire in an aluminum Bronco can be a challenge!

OP
OP
zuke

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lesson for all: grounding a wire in an aluminum Bronco can be a challenge!
It was a hard earned lesson! But it's a good one, and I honestly enjoyed doing it, I learned a lot about the Bronco's charging system :) And I'm really glad it helped you, and potentially others too.

FleshTuxedo

Outer Banks
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX 2dr.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So should I be concerned if my 2.7L lux runs about 15.1-15.3 usually?

OP
OP
zuke

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Day two of the system behaving as designed.

Both days the Battery has started at right around 12.29V, Which jives well with the 80% state of charge that @BigMeatsBronco mentioned earlier.

Been reading more about AGM Batteries and charging patterns used with them.

This is a particularly interesting article that explains SOC and DOD in AGM Batteries.

OP
OP
zuke

zuke

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So should I be concerned if my 2.7L lux runs about 15.1-15.3 usually?
The Answer to that is, Probably, but not necessarily :)

Have you checked the voltage at the battery when the ignition is off, and after it's been sitting a while? For instance, the first time you drive it for the day? If the voltage then is around 12.25, The battery is probably OK That seems to be where Ford has programmed the battery to be at rest..

Do you have any unusual loads on the system? Lots of extra lights or other things like that?

Have you added any grounds for accessories, and if you have did you place any connectors UNDER the metal pads at the end of a ground cable? That's what was killing me I believe... It's also worth checking all the factory grounds under hood for tightness.

People have reported factory connections that were loose, It's probably worth going over all the Nuts and and connections on the battery and under hood fuse block, and make sure they are tight.

Also, Be sure to keep an eye on what happens with @LockedBronco, His system has been much less molested than mine, and he's currently experiencing pretty similar behavior to you..
Sponsored

Last edited: