Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

See post 7 above. Don’t need a scan tool or anything, just the secret Konami code
Thanks. I think I read that a while back in some post and thought it was a joke :D

Now, if I can just rub my belly clockwise while rubbing my head counter clockwise...
Sponsored

Alex639

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Outerbanks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There is something weird in the charging system, mine or in general I don't know. Used it for mostly city driving since I got the bronco in a busy time of year for work and then fall/winter hit, so I noticed the 15v ALL the time as well as no more start-stop. Not an issue, I don't care about start-stop that much it actually annoyed me when I'd park and it would shut off in neutral, then turn on again when I put it in park.

I noticed the battery voltage was never 12.8v with the key on engine off though, so I figured it might just need some more hours on it, or a trickle charger, and I was gunna be doing alot more driving this January and February so I wasn't gunna get a charger yet. Plus it shouldn't need a charger to drive 10min to work each way. I would hope.

Then I drove it for 2.5 weeks, 40min twice a day, total about 18 hours based on the trip 1 I reset. Morning drive in the dark so lights, heated seat/wheel, on, afternoon drive back with just heated seat/wheel. Monitored the voltage throughout this, it stayed at 14.9v-15.3v the entire time. I checked about a week in just after I got home from a 40min drive I turned the engine off, key back on and watched the voltage drop to 12.2v

Did the same check a week later, granted it was in -35C weather, but I had 12.0v. Still starts and still charges at 14.9v-15.3v but that 12.0v is abnormally low, but noone local could test my battery and warranty it so I just bought a new battery to make sure I wouldn't be stranded in -35C with 24-48hr wait times on tows because I forgot to pack my booster pack.

So I took it in today to get it checked out and the dealer said it's normal for the battery to be at 12v like this. Load tested the battery (checked with a multimeter and it's sitting at 12.3v) and it passed.

SO I don't know. Maybe it's the cold on these AGM batteries? Maybe the 15v thing is related to the cold too? I know it was still at 15v for the past week with the brand new battery and only dropped down yesterday after I drove for 2.5hours, shut it off and then went to get groceries. First time seeing my auto start-stop in awhile, it was only -10C ish. But today it thawed and it was at 15v when I went to the dealer.

Not too concerned, will carry my booster pack and cables all the time from now on, and I guess I have a spare perfectly fine battery. And if they are right then I guess I might not have to do anything. Might ziptie a trickle charger and plug it in once a month when I'm not doing any roadtrips.

TheOregonian

Wildtrak
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Lead-Acid battery I presume? Not sure if the AGMs have the same life expectancy as regular battery...I hear mixed reviews. When yours does finally kick the bucket I'm sure your wife will give you a sign...of sorts
not a quote of this reply directly, but the thread more generally. My 1 month old bronco has twice now gotten a low battery message when just in idle/remote services mode, I.E. using the app to remote start. It says that feature has been shut down due to low battery to conserve charge. It’s driven nearly every day, and as I said, one month old..

Any thoughts?

OP
OP
PWillette

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
not a quote of this reply directly, but the thread more generally. My 1 month old bronco has twice now gotten a low battery message when just in idle/remote services mode, I.E. using the app to remote start. It says that feature has been shut down due to low battery to conserve charge. It’s driven nearly every day, and as I said, one month old..

Any thoughts?
There have been numerous people who have had their battery replaced under warranty for low voltage. Have your dealer test it.

BigBlue7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Black Diamond Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
After 3 batteries in 4 months of ownership, my dealership finally dug a bit deeper and realized several loose connections to underneath the battery (battery control module maybe?)

Once they tightened those connections and my voltage readings are normal now and it seems to have fixed my issues

Sponsored

TheOregonian

Wildtrak
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
After 3 batteries in 4 months of ownership, my dealership finally dug a bit deeper and realized several loose connections to underneath the battery (battery control module maybe?)

Once they tightened those connections and my voltage readings are normal now and it seems to have fixed my issues
hmm. Disheartening, but good advice. Will take a look, thank you both.

BigBlue7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
hmm. Disheartening, but good advice. Will take a look, thank you both.
Just checked my paperwork and it was loose cables on the voltage distribution box

BigBlue7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

do you know where the voltage distribution box is located?
I’m guessing they meant the high current low voltage junction box, but I’m not sure. The fuses are on the side of the battery junction box under a small cover.

Ford Bronco Is my alternator killing my battery? IMG_2812

Sponsored

Heckler

Wildtrak
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thanks! I’ll see what I can find, I’ve suddenly
Experienced a dead battery out of the blue after not driving the Bronco for a few days, I removed the battery from the vehicle, completely recharged it and put it back in and next morning completely dead. Charged it again and tested the battery and it’s bad, I have a new battery in the way but I’m afraid it’s just going to kill the new one too.

I was told it was underneath the battery @Ducati1098 might be able to be more specific
I’m guessing they meant the high current low voltage junction box, but I’m not sure. The fuses are on the side of the battery junction box under a small cover.

IMG_2812.jpeg

Ford Bronco Is my alternator killing my battery? IMG_2812

BigBlue7

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Experienced a dead battery out of the blue after not driving the Bronco for a few days, I removed the battery from the vehicle, completely recharged it and put it back in and next morning completely dead. Charged it again and tested the battery and it’s bad, I have a new battery in the way but I’m afraid it’s just going to kill the new one too.
Yeah I went through 3 new batteries in 5 months before they finally fixed the issue

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There’s a few other small connections around the battery and battery junction box also. I would just double check everything you see.

Ford also released a message the other day about the interior door lock switches potentially causing battery draw issues. If your switches work fine it may not be this, but just something to keep in mind.

Ford Bronco Is my alternator killing my battery? IMG_2813

Heckler

Wildtrak
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
thanks, I checked the connections around the battery and fuse panel and didn’t find any loose connections. I will check the door lock switched next.

next I’ll just wait until I get my
New battery later today and install it and monitor the voltage, if it appears to be draining quickly I’ll have to get it into the shop as a last resort. Only 5k miles on this and everything has been great until this.

There’s a few other small connections around the battery and battery junction box also. I would just double check everything you see.

Ford also released a message the other day about the interior door lock switches potentially causing battery draw issues. If your switches work fine it may not be this, but just something to keep in mind.

Heckler

Wildtrak
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m thinking this may be my issue (SSM 52258) I tried operating the door lock switches and the drivers side did seem to have a bit of an issue a couple times when I hit the bottom button it didn’t work but it did start working the next time I pressed it, it continued to work after that for a while then it happened again, also the drivers side window is no longer dropping when the handle is pulled (no drop and raise when door is closed), I did try a window reset to no avail. Time to drop it off….😒

Sponsored