Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Figured there was enough interest from my post in the daily updates thread that I'd break this out to share more details about this project. Kind of long-winded, but I wanted to share my thought process and journey to maybe inspire others to do the same.

First, some background...

We got our Bronco specifically for the purpose of off roading and camping trips. In researching options for gear, and how it'll all fit in the Bronco, I decided it'd be more efficient to use a 12V fridge instead of cooler that constantly needed to be refilled with ice. To do that though, I wanted a power solution that was reliable and separate from the Bronco's electrical system to avoid draining the starter battery. So it was determined an auxiliary would be needed.

After more digging, I wasn't satisfied with any of the out of the box solutions out there. Most of them are too cube-shaped and they'd need to be packed in a specific orientation in order to plug things in while on the road. I was also concerned about the longevity of these units. If something breaks, I'd be at the mercy of the manufacturer's warranty to get it fixed/replaced. Additionally, whatever I bought today, I'd be stuck with. No opportunity for modifying or upgrading components as my needs change.

On to the integrated dual battery option. There are a couple of configurations out there that hide the battery & charger in the cargo area that I was really intrigued by. I liked the ability to quickly charge from the alternator while driving and we'd be able to design a system exactly to our needs. I was certain we'd go this route, but the one nagging concern I had was the portability aspect. It'd be awesome to be able to easily take the power source out of the vehicle to our tent or around camp and use it separate from the Bronco. Additionally, if we ever (heaven-forbid) replaced our Bronco with a new vehicle down the road, I'd have to start this whole dual battery install process over again. I wanted the customizability of the dual battery system as well as the portability of a solar generator unit.

My “Hybrid” Portable Dual Battery System Design

Drawing inspiration from various solutions out there, I settled on this hybrid approach to a dual battery system with a portable battery bank. This idea certainly isn't new, but I wanted to make sure I was designing something that fit my specific goals.

The general idea is the portable power station will be charged by the vehicle while driving, which can also power a fridge or charge other devices. When camping, I can leave the power supply connected to the Bronco to continue to use it as the power source for everything. Alternatively, I could remove the power station and bring it into our tent for the night, but still have the ability to utilize the starter battery for small loads, like exterior & interior lighting.

Here's a simplified diagram of the concept:

Ford Bronco Portable Power Station DIY Build -- My Portable Battery System wiri

Planning & Design

Phase I of this whole project would be to build the portable power station. It'd be something I could use immediately, before the rest of the DC-DC charging and integrated components were installed in the Bronco.

I started with the battery and case. I was targeting a 100Ah battery so I'd be good for a couple of days without a recharge. Based on manufacturers' dimensions I found a battery/case combo that I new would work. From there, I added other components that I could see myself using. I may have gone slightly overboard with trying to cram so much into a tight space, but I kept finding ways to mount/orient things within the defined area that made things more efficient. I wasn't originally even going to have a solar controller built in, but it fit and I decided it'd be convenient to have already integrated. One less thing to worry about packing. I included 2 50A Anderson plugs so I could potentially have a high-wattage charging input at the same time as outputting power to an inverter, or even a secondary battery bank.

All design work was done in SketchUp so I could visualize how all the parts would come together and insure there wouldn't be any interferences. I also wanted to design a robust frame to ensure the battery or any of the components wouldn't bounce around inside the case. There's a provision for running wires from one side of the box to the other via a channel underneath the battery, down the center. The battery is centered in the frame for even weight distribution and so I can have ports on opposite sides. I wanted to be able to have the case lay flat or stand on it's bottom edge, have things packed on either side, and still be able to access all the plugs.

Ford Bronco Portable Power Station DIY Build -- My Portable Battery System Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 7.55.36 AM
Ford Bronco Portable Power Station DIY Build -- My Portable Battery System Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 7.56.13 AM

I also sketched out a wiring diagram of just the portable power station so I knew going in what needed to be connected to what.

Ford Bronco Portable Power Station DIY Build -- My Portable Battery System IMG_1477

Here's the final parts list for the build. This doesn't include miscellaneous materials like the boards, wires, terminals, etc. that I had already laying around my garage.

Component​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
Apache 3800 carrying case
$ 40.00​
1​
$ 40.00
100ah 12V LiFePO4 Battery
$ 250.00​
1​
$ 250.00
Circuit breaker$ 43.00
1​
$ 43.00
Power cutoff relay$ 12.00
1​
$ 12.00
Power switch$ 9.00
1​
$ 9.00
Terminal stud bus bar pair$ 11.00
2​
$ 22.00
4 circuit fuse block$ 20.00
1​
$ 20.00
50A fuse w/ holder (2 pack)$ 13.00
1​
$ 13.00
50A Anderson plug (2 pack)$ 12.00
1​
$ 12.00
Dual Anderson power pole connector mount$ 27.00
1​
$ 27.00
Single Anderson power pole connector mount$ 27.00
1​
$ 27.00
Dual 12v outlet panel$ 17.00
1​
$ 17.00
Battery monitor shunt w/ display$ 50.00
1​
$ 50.00
Temperature controller relay switch$ 12.00
1​
$ 12.00
Blower fan$ 9.00
1​
$ 9.00
Victron MPPT 75/15$ 68.00
1​
$ 68.00

Grand total for everything above comes out to $631.

The Build

Here are several photos of the progress of the build from start to finish. I started with assembling the frame out of HDPE boards I had leftover from another project. This stuff is awesome. It's got a lot of the same properties as wood, but the density is more consistent, making tapped & screwed connections much more secure. Plus, they come in black, so I don't have to do any sort of painting to make it all look nice.

Ford Bronco Portable Power Station DIY Build -- My Portable Battery System Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 10.31.34 AM

Fits like a glove!

Ford Bronco Portable Power Station DIY Build -- My Portable Battery System Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 9.02.19 AM

Cutting holes in the case and mounting all the components...

Ford Bronco Portable Power Station DIY Build -- My Portable Battery System Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 11.09.57 AM

Ford Bronco Portable Power Station DIY Build -- My Portable Battery System Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 11.10.04 AM

Ford Bronco Portable Power Station DIY Build -- My Portable Battery System Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 11.10.16 AM

I designed the frame to be completely removable so I could easily connect all the wiring and service components down the road if needed without having to take everything apart. A strap was installed to secure the battery to the platform. It wasn't moving around before adding the strap, but I found that with the battery's weight, it was nearly impossible to lift the whole assembly out of the case without something easy to grab onto.

Ford Bronco Portable Power Station DIY Build -- My Portable Battery System Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 11.11.00 AM

Wire thickness was probably a bit overkill for this setup, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Everything connected to the battery on its own circuit is appropriately fused to prevent it all from melting down.

Ford Bronco Portable Power Station DIY Build -- My Portable Battery System Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 11.11.14 AM

Ford Bronco Portable Power Station DIY Build -- My Portable Battery System Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 11.11.37 AM

Final assembly was a bit of a pain, just because I didn't leave much room for my fat fingers to connect all the plugs. After some minor adjustments, everything fit nicely together. The left side of the power station will be used for charging devices (phones, laptops, flashlight batteries, etc.) as well as running a fridge or camp lights. The battery monitor display is also on this side for easy access.

Ford Bronco Portable Power Station DIY Build -- My Portable Battery System Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 11.12.22 AM

The right side is for connecting utilities, like my AC charger, the DC-DC charger (once that gets installed in the Bronco), or outputting to a small inverter run things on AC. There's also the solar input for charging the battery on its own. The hole cutout serves as the intake for air to get pulled in across the length of the case by the exhaust fan on the other side. The fan is controlled by the programmable temperature relay switch with the thermometer mounted next to the solar charger (because that is likely to get the hottest during operation).

Ford Bronco Portable Power Station DIY Build -- My Portable Battery System Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 11.12.31 AM

The single power button on the front acts as the cutoff switch for the entire battery via the large relay. With the power off, all internal circuits are disabled and no electricity will be able to run in or out of the box. This will be useful to easily power it all down when not in use.

Ford Bronco Portable Power Station DIY Build -- My Portable Battery System Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 11.12.57 AM

All buttoned up and ready to go!

Ford Bronco Portable Power Station DIY Build -- My Portable Battery System Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 11.12.41 AM

Here are the high-level specs at a glance:
  • 12V 100Ah LiFePO4 battery
  • 15A solar MPPT charger
  • Battery monitor with color LCD screen
  • Temperature-controlled cooling fan
  • Single power button battery disconnect
  • 2x 20W USB-C ports
  • 1x 18W USB-A port
  • 1x 300W 12V cigarette lighter port
  • 2x 30A Anderson Powerpole ports (input/output)
  • 2x 50A Anderson plug ports (input/output)
  • 1x 30A Anderson Powerpole solar input
Next steps are to do some calibrating with the battery monitor to ensure I'm getting accurate readings and estimations for energy input/output and then it's on to field testing. I'll be sure to keep this thread updated if I discover anything new along the way.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Wow! wonderful work and write up here! Thank you so much for sharing this with us, can’t wait to hear more about it!

Shrek27

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

So Nice! Was hoping you'd post more about this.

Do you have a pic of where it will live in the Bronco? I think you mentioned under the back seat at one point...Would like to see that and how you secure it at some point.

Sponsored
OP
OP
cr117

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Do you have a pic of where it will live in the Bronco? I think you mentioned under the back seat at one point...Would like to see that and how you secure it at some point.
I'll see if I can snap a picture in the next couple of days, but yes, the case fits underneath the back seat nice and snug without really having to secure it. There's a technique to getting it under there, and it sticks out from under the seat a little bit, but it's easy enough and that space is kind of wasted anyways.

Johnny Rebel

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2D Big Bend, 2022 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
This is awesome! I've considered doing something like this, but it never has made it to the top of the list. Very nice work.

AttackGuy64

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I see that and I immediately start wondering whether to defuse it or to blow it in place. Looks like a bomb in a briefcase. However, mad respect to you for figuring out how to make something that someone wants to charge you $2500 for. Kudos sir, I applaud your efforts.

Sparkherd

Badlands
First Name
Sparky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sparkherd.com
Vehicle(s)
Lifelong Ford guy.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That is jest slicker'n owl doodoo on a brass doorknob in a hurricane!!!

I've got a 2010 Ranger into which I installed a weatherproof power port (cig lighter plug) in the bed.
I'm an Amateur Radio geek, and I sometimes put an lead-acid RV battery back there to run radios.
I guess things are more complicated nowadays; I read some verbiage in the Bronco owner's manual saying do not plug any voltage source into any of the 12v power ports.
Damn shame.

Sponsored

Bmurraybronco

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Branco 4door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Figured there was enough interest from my post in the daily updates thread that I'd break this out to share more details about this project. Kind of long-winded, but I wanted to share my thought process and journey to maybe inspire others to do the same.

First, some background...

We got our Bronco specifically for the purpose of off roading and camping trips. In researching options for gear, and how it'll all fit in the Bronco, I decided it'd be more efficient to use a 12V fridge instead of cooler that constantly needed to be refilled with ice. To do that though, I wanted a power solution that was reliable and separate from the Bronco's electrical system to avoid draining the starter battery. So it was determined an auxiliary would be needed.

After more digging, I wasn't satisfied with any of the out of the box solutions out there. Most of them are too cube-shaped and they'd need to be packed in a specific orientation in order to plug things in while on the road. I was also concerned about the longevity of these units. If something breaks, I'd be at the mercy of the manufacturer's warranty to get it fixed/replaced. Additionally, whatever I bought today, I'd be stuck with. No opportunity for modifying or upgrading components as my needs change.

On to the integrated dual battery option. There are a couple of configurations out there that hide the battery & charger in the cargo area that I was really intrigued by. I liked the ability to quickly charge from the alternator while driving and we'd be able to design a system exactly to our needs. I was certain we'd go this route, but the one nagging concern I had was the portability aspect. It'd be awesome to be able to easily take the power source out of the vehicle to our tent or around camp and use it separate from the Bronco. Additionally, if we ever (heaven-forbid) replaced our Bronco with a new vehicle down the road, I'd have to start this whole dual battery install process over again. I wanted the customizability of the dual battery system as well as the portability of a solar generator unit.

My “Hybrid” Portable Dual Battery System Design

Drawing inspiration from various solutions out there, I settled on this hybrid approach to a dual battery system with a portable battery bank. This idea certainly isn't new, but I wanted to make sure I was designing something that fit my specific goals.

The general idea is the portable power station will be charged by the vehicle while driving, which can also power a fridge or charge other devices. When camping, I can leave the power supply connected to the Bronco to continue to use it as the power source for everything. Alternatively, I could remove the power station and bring it into our tent for the night, but still have the ability to utilize the starter battery for small loads, like exterior & interior lighting.

Here's a simplified diagram of my initial concept:

View attachment 633166

Planning & Design

Phase I of this whole project would be to build the portable power station. It'd be something I could use immediately, before the rest of the DC-DC charging and integrated components were installed in the Bronco.

I started with the battery and case. I was targeting a 100Ah battery so I'd be good for a couple of days without a recharge. Based on manufacturers' dimensions I found a battery/case combo that I new would work. From there, I added other components that I could see myself using. I may have gone slightly overboard with trying to cram so much into a tight space, but I kept finding ways to mount/orient things within the defined area that made things more efficient. I wasn't originally even going to have a solar controller built in, but it fit and I decided it'd be convenient to have already integrated. One less thing to worry about packing. I included 2 50A Anderson plugs so I could potentially have a high-wattage charging input at the same time as outputting power to an inverter, or even a secondary battery bank.

All design work was done in SketchUp so I could visualize how all the parts would come together and insure there wouldn't be any interferences. I also wanted to design a robust frame to ensure the battery or any of the components wouldn't bounce around inside the case. There's a provision for running wires from one side of the box to the other via a channel underneath the battery, down the center. The battery is centered in the frame for even weight distribution and so I can have ports on opposite sides. I wanted to be able to have the case lay flat or stand on it's bottom edge, have things packed on either side, and still be able to access all the plugs.

Ford Bronco Portable Power Station DIY Build -- My Portable Battery System huh-confused
Ford Bronco Portable Power Station DIY Build -- My Portable Battery System huh-confused

I also sketched out a wiring diagram of just the portable power station so I knew going in what needed to be connected to what.

Here's the final parts list for the build. This doesn't include miscellaneous materials like the boards, wires, terminals, etc. that I had already laying around my garage.

Component​
Price​
Quantity​
Total​
Apache 3800 carrying case
$ 40.00​
1​
$ 40.00
100ah 12V LiFePO4 Battery
$ 250.00​
1​
$ 250.00
Circuit breaker$ 43.00
1​
$ 43.00
Power cutoff relay$ 12.00
1​
$ 12.00
Power switch$ 9.00
1​
$ 9.00
Terminal stud bus bar pair$ 11.00
2​
$ 22.00
4 circuit fuse block$ 20.00
1​
$ 20.00
50A fuse w/ holder (2 pack)$ 13.00
1​
$ 13.00
50A Anderson plug (2 pack)$ 12.00
1​
$ 12.00
Dual Anderson power pole connector mount$ 27.00
1​
$ 27.00
Single Anderson power pole connector mount$ 27.00
1​
$ 27.00
Dual 12v outlet panel$ 17.00
1​
$ 17.00
Battery monitor shunt w/ display$ 50.00
1​
$ 50.00
Temperature controller relay switch$ 12.00
1​
$ 12.00
Blower fan$ 9.00
1​
$ 9.00
Victron MPPT 75/15$ 68.00
1​
$ 68.00

Grand total for everything above comes out to $631.

The Build

Here are several photos of the progress of the build from start to finish. I started with assembling the frame out of HDPE boards I had leftover from another project. This stuff is awesome. It's got a lot of the same properties as wood, but the density is more consistent, making tapped & screwed connections much more secure. Plus, they come in black, so I don't have to do any sort of painting to make it all look nice.

Fits like a glove!

Cutting holes in the case and mounting all the components...

I designed the frame to be completely removable so I could easily connect all the wiring and service components down the road if needed without having to take everything apart. A strap was installed to secure the battery to the platform. It wasn't moving around before adding the strap, but I found that with the battery's weight, it was nearly impossible to lift the whole assembly out of the case without something easy to grab onto.

Wire thickness was probably a bit overkill for this setup, but it's better to be safe than sorry. Everything connected to the battery on its own circuit is appropriately fused to prevent it all from melting down.

Final assembly was a bit of a pain, just because I didn't leave much room for my fat fingers to connect all the plugs. After some minor adjustments, everything fit nicely together. The left side of the power station will be used for charging devices (phones, laptops, flashlight batteries, etc.) as well as running a fridge or camp lights. The battery monitor display is also on this side for easy access.

The right side is for connecting utilities, like my AC charger, the DC-DC charger (once that gets installed in the Bronco), or outputting to a small inverter run things on AC. There's also the solar input for charging the battery on its own. The hole cutout serves as the intake for air to get pulled in across the length of the case by the exhaust fan on the other side. The fan is controlled by the programmable temperature relay switch with the thermometer mounted next to the solar charger (because that is likely to get the hottest during operation).

The single power button on the front acts as the cutoff switch for the entire battery via the large relay. With the power off, all internal circuits are disabled and no electricity will be able to run in or out of the box. This will be useful to easily power it all down when not in use.

All buttoned up and ready to go!

Here are the high-level specs at a glance:
  • 12V 100Ah LiFePO4 battery
  • 15A solar MPPT charger
  • Battery monitor with color LCD screen
  • Temperature-controlled cooling fan
  • Single power button battery disconnect
  • 2x 20W USB-C ports
  • 1x 18W USB-A port
  • 1x 300W 12V cigarette lighter port
  • 2x 30A Anderson Powerpole ports (input/output)
  • 2x 50A Anderson plug ports (input/output)
  • 1x 30A Anderson Powerpole solar input
Next steps are to do some calibrating with the battery monitor to ensure I'm getting accurate readings and estimations for energy input/output and then it's on to field testing. I'll be sure to keep this thread updated if I discover anything new along the way.
This is amazing!! Nice work. If you need any EVE cells I get them at wholesale.

OP
OP
cr117

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nice work! it would be nice to see USB-C Power Delivery ports @ 60-100W, but 20W does get it done.
Yeah, for the USB’s, I opted for the more ports route over fewer with higher wattage. I figured I could always shove a 12V adapter in the socket if more power was needed.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Love the detail in this post, the planning, the execution... awesome!

Also...

Hey, BATFE & FBI! This guy, right here! 😂

However, is it really only going to last 2 days???