EMC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing Cool
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So...while this is interesting information, I have to wonder about it.

I previously hard-wired a lead for my battery tender/ charger to the nut used to secure the negative lead to the battery terminal.

All seemed to be fine - battery charged, and voltmeter on Bronco showed alternator output varying depending on engine/ battery management, as one would expect.

But I moved it last night to the position noted here...and now the voltmeter is showing the alternator is running at 15V, constantly.

Seems odd to me. I think I might move it back to where it was.

Advertisement

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2Dr BD SQ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So...while this is interesting information, I have to wonder about it.

I previously hard-wired a lead for my battery tender/ charger to the nut used to secure the negative lead to the battery terminal.

All seemed to be fine - battery charged, and voltmeter on Bronco showed alternator output varying depending on engine/ battery management, as one would expect.

But I moved it last night to the position noted here...and now the voltmeter is showing the alternator is running at 15V, constantly.

Seems odd to me. I think I might move it back to where it was.
Not sure which voltmeter you're reading

Six-months now we use a Battery Tender for the Bronco. We have a 4-foot SAE cable routed thru grille with the negative wire-lug connected to the other side of the Ground Terminal Sensor, the way @Simmy recommends in his video
- photos below

The Battery Tender functions in the normal way - after several hours charging the light eventually becomes Solid Green. Sometimes it takes a day before Solid Green if we haven't charged it for a while

When it reaches Solid Green you can disconnect the Battery Tender and connect an SAE Voltmeter. At this point it reads 13.0 volts - photo

Is the factory Alternator Weak ?

Here's what makes you wonder about the factory alternator. With battery fully charged you can take the Bronco out for 2-hours drive highway, with almost zero stops, never turning-off the engine - (w Auto-Stop OFF.) Then bring the Bronco back to garage and connect Battery Tender again

Why is the Battery Tender light now Solid Red for several hours ?

Why didn't the alternator keep the battery charged during the 2-hour drive ?

After 2-hours on highway, why does the Battery Tender have to re-charge it for several hours to reach Solid Green again ?

It seems we can't rely on the alternator to keep the battery charged. Sorta makes you wonder about the factory alternator, or maybe the BMS

At home we keep the Bronco on the Battery Tender most of the time and we never see any electrical problems. Some people report lots and lots of electrical problems. You wonder if some of those are just weak battery

IMG_2644.JPG

IMG_2637.JPG

IMG_2645.JPG

IMG_2628.JPG

IMG_2654.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Cat

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2016 Transit Connect
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is interesting to me because my commute is about a mile and a half. I was already planning on installing a block heater this year to alleviate some stress on the system on the 7MT w/o a remote start.

@37’s Rule the Wasteland - why are you charging the battery regularly? Short commute or other reasons?

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So my takeaway from the video is that you can connect things like he suggests, or not and the failsafe he discusses will allow the truck to reevaluate the battery after the truck isn’t driven for 6-8 hours. Seems like this info is more critical for loads that draw while driving, like my ARB fridge or an amplifier.

Advertisement

JB1901

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Badlands Sasquatch Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Long video, but this is all you need to know:

NEVER ATTACH ANYTHING DIRECLY TO THE BATTERY NEGATIVE TERMINAL. Not a jump starter, not a charger, nothing.
Ehhh, not quite. You can connect it anywhere you want, it'll just be 'best' to attach things on the other side of the battery monitoring system. Especially with items that draw amps while driving like an amp, air compressor, etc. At the end of the day the vehicle is still going to evaluate the voltage even if it didn't know how amps went in or out earlier in the day. 'Best practice' is different than 'NEVER EVER'.

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
EMC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing Cool
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Last edited:

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
EMC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing Cool
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

etmccaus86

Base
First Name
EMC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing Cool
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Same way now, or same way before
You said it went to 15 after the change
This is after the change, which was to move to how you have yours installed.
It stayed at 15 for the day and is now settled at 14.6 during driving.
Gone is the variation in alternator output. Gonna return to my original setup and see if it behaves as it did pre-charger.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2Dr BD SQ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This is after the change, which was to move to how you have yours installed.
It stayed at 15 for the day and is now settled at 14.6 during driving.
Gone is the variation in alternator output. Gonna return to my original setup and see if it behaves as it did pre-charger.
I'm gonna start checking that reading also

Reactions: Cat

Advertisement

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2016 Transit Connect
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Arokcrwlr

Badlands
First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150, 2014 Focus, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I don't drive my 2014 F150 for a few weeks without a battery tender connected, the battery will be dead. I normally only drive it short distances and it behaves just like explained in the vid... I always connect the battery tender to chassis ground.
Advertisement