First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So, just spent a fun Saturday installing a set of Amp Research Powersteps on my 4-door Wildtrak. I didn't have stepbars to begin with so that eliminated a few steps. What I learned was this install is more challenging than it looks on the surface, so I thought I'd share a few tips to save others a massive headache or two.

1. The included instructions are total garbage. Instead, watch this video: This guy goes through the install in detail and gives you a good idea of what to expect.

2. Make sure you have the following tools ready to go: 15 & 13mm sockets, Allen wrench set, and most important: 15 & 13mm Gearwrenches. If you don't have Gearwrenches aka ratchet wrenches, don't even bother starting this install.

3. When inserting the first bolt to hang each bracket, run it in as far as you can and still slide the bracket on. The brackets allow VERY small movements with the ratchet wrenches, so the less you need to tighten them after the bracket is in place, the better.

4. When installing the motors to the rear brackets, cycle the bracket to wherever you need it to be to line up the gear on the motor so the 2-mounting bolts line up. They don't need to be fully extended like he says in the video, the steps will self calibrate when you go hot with the electric.

5. You don't need jackstands to install the actual steps. They rest on the brackets quite nicely and can easily be installed by 1-person.

6. Tapping the 2-wires under the dash is nightmare level difficult. I'm not a small guy, but you have to be a contortionist to reach the harness. The included Posi-Taps are tiny, and I'd highly recommend ordering a few extras before the install because you are going to 100% end up dropping one of the tap pieces behind the kickpanel where it will be lost forever. Best to just have backups so you don't do what I did which is attempt to use a crimp tap, accidentally cut the wire, cause 2 blind/cross traffic fault codes and your steps won't work before you figure out what you did and end up splicing the tiny stump of wire left coming out of the factory harness = +2hrs of cussing. Happy ending, but man I don't ever want to have to do that part again.

In the end the steps look fantastic and work as well as expected. Wife can now get into the Bronco easily, and the steps tuck in nice and tight hiding the pinch seem. Hope these tips help anyone else who decides to tack this.
Sponsored

kahunabob

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So, just spent a fun Saturday installing a set of Amp Research Powersteps on my 4-door Wildtrak. I didn't have stepbars to begin with so that eliminated a few steps. What I learned was this install is more challenging than it looks on the surface, so I thought I'd share a few tips to save others a massive headache or two.

1. The included instructions are total garbage. Instead, watch this video: This guy goes through the install in detail and gives you a good idea of what to expect.

2. Make sure you have the following tools ready to go: 15 & 13mm sockets, Allen wrench set, and most important: 15 & 13mm Gearwrenches. If you don't have Gearwrenches aka ratchet wrenches, don't even bother starting this install.

3. When inserting the first bolt to hang each bracket, run it in as far as you can and still slide the bracket on. The brackets allow VERY small movements with the ratchet wrenches, so the less you need to tighten them after the bracket is in place, the better.

4. When installing the motors to the rear brackets, cycle the bracket to wherever you need it to be to line up the gear on the motor so the 2-mounting bolts line up. They don't need to be fully extended like he says in the video, the steps will self calibrate when you go hot with the electric.

5. You don't need jackstands to install the actual steps. They rest on the brackets quite nicely and can easily be installed by 1-person.

6. Tapping the 2-wires under the dash is nightmare level difficult. I'm not a small guy, but you have to be a contortionist to reach the harness. The included Posi-Taps are tiny, and I'd highly recommend ordering a few extras before the install because you are going to 100% end up dropping one of the tap pieces behind the kickpanel where it will be lost forever. Best to just have backups so you don't do what I did which is attempt to use a crimp tap, accidentally cut the wire, cause 2 blind/cross traffic fault codes and your steps won't work before you figure out what you did and end up splicing the tiny stump of wire left coming out of the factory harness = +2hrs of cussing. Happy ending, but man I don't ever want to have to do that part again.

In the end the steps look fantastic and work as well as expected. Wife can now get into the Bronco easily, and the steps tuck in nice and tight hiding the pinch seem. Hope these tips help anyone else who decides to tack this.
I agree with all this advice. In particular, #4 and #6.

I was going crazy on #4 above. The steps recalibrate so no worries there.

#6. I dropped my positap behind the panel. I was able to find it (luckily). But if you have some on hand...all the better. I think Amazon sells a variety kit for $10 or so. Always good to have on hand for other auto wiring.

CUZICAN

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Agreed, I'm pretty sure they could have found a better place to tap those 2 wires. I'd be willing to bet the engineers that came up with this are still laughing.

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is it possible to simply wire these to a switch? Maybe a rocker for up/down? I e-mailed AMP several weeks ago but haven't heard back.

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They do offer a manual override switch as an option if you want to go that route.

https://www.amp-research.com/override-switch/2022/ford/bronco

Also looks like a $150 rebate till the end of the year on the steps.
Thank you, but:

Running Boards will return to Auto Operation in the next door cycle after 30 minutes.
I really don't want to tap into wiring and have a permanent OBDII plug. I really just want to operate them manually, and now I'm leaning toward regular steps that I don't have to wire.

boomboomthump

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Having had these since July, I cant imagine why someone would want to do that.

So if you open a passenger side door, you'd first have to go around to the other side and manually activate the switch?

Tapping into the wiring with a Posi-tap is a no-brainer because it can be removed at any point without ever even knowing it was there. It's not like you're cutting/splicing wires.

The best thing about these the convenience of opening and closing any door and having them automatically deploy and retract.

Also, on the ODB connector concern, for $10 you can get an OBD2 splitter. The one I got has a pass through connection and a pigtail with a connector on the other end. You can plug the module into that and then you never even realize there is something plugged into your standard OBD port.

Don't get me wrong, I also love the convenience of the manual override switch for certain scenarios. But if I had to use that each and every time, I'd absolutely hate these things. :)

Link to the OBD pigtail splitter...

Last edited:

Bronco_Mo

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Question please, where is the recommended place to mount the override switch, I would think the preferred place would be on the left lower side of the dash near the emergency brake lever/switch, but that area looks too thick for the switch, appreciate any pictures of your override switch mounted...

CUZICAN

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Question please, where is the recommended place to mount the override switch, I would think the preferred place would be on the left lower side of the dash near the emergency brake lever/switch, but that area looks too thick for the switch, appreciate any pictures of your override switch mounted...
I made a little ABS bracket that attaches via the screw that holds the dash panel on.

Ford Bronco Amp Research Powersteps Installation Tips 20230125_170042

Bronco_Mo

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

that looks good, thanks

Sponsored

Dan66

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 explorer platinum 2014 ram limited
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I just got the Rhino Ones, Liked them because no plug in the OBD and No Splicing two motors sealed and cost less !

Dcdrums502

Badlands
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Toyota 4Runner 40th anniversary
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I made a little ABS bracket that attaches via the screw that holds the dash panel on.

Ford Bronco Amp Research Powersteps Installation Tips 20230125_170042
Any chance you’d be able to create/sell me one of these brackets? If not, is there another good option for installing this switch under the dash board?

CUZICAN

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Any chance you’d be able to create/sell me one of these brackets? If not, is there another good option for installing this switch under the dash board?
When I get home this evening, I'll see if I have any more scrap ABS.

Rferrara

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tesla
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
has anyone tried wiring the overide switch wires to one of the aux switch? I realize you will only be able to get one function per switch, for me I'm mostly using the down to neutral position. Was thinking about wiring that function to the number 6 aux switch and just wanted to see if anyone had any experience good or bad?

Bronco_Mo

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I used 3/4 inch hole saw and parked the switch here..
Ford Bronco Amp Research Powersteps Installation Tips OVER RIDE SWITCH INSTALL AMP PS 1
Ford Bronco Amp Research Powersteps Installation Tips OVER RIDE SWITCH INSTALL AMP PS 2
Sponsored