Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I bought some Nite Light led lights advertised at 60 watts each. Putting two of these on a 10 A AUX switch worried me. Using conventional calculations (60 watts divided by 12 volts equals 5 amps each, times 2 lights equals 10 amps, or on the verge of blowing the 10 A fuse). So, I thought I’d measure the actual amperage draw.

With a 30A gage, I connected a 12 volt li-ion battery (actually at 13.5 V) up to one of the lights. I expected The gage to read at least 5A. With the light burning bright, the needle barely moved. I thought the gage was bad. So I hooked the battery up to a 2 ohm power resistor. Wala, the gage reads about 6A. Using V= A x R, it checked out. And using watts = V x R, the power usage was 72 watts.

I flunked the new math, so I thought I’d check another way. I replaced the power resistor with the light and in-line fuses, starting at 5A. I got all the way down to a 1/2A fuse before it started to glow, but did not burn out. So, here’s a lesson in new math.

P (watts) for LEDS is V x A x 10. So if a vendor is selling a LED rated at 600 watts, then the current draw will be 5A at 12v. So, your 10A Aux switches should handle a LED light rated by the manufacturer at 1200 watts.

Sounds like watt inflation to me. Or new math,. Or magic LEDS. Comments.?
Sponsored

Tmkimler

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 2021 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Really, it’s probably the supplier rating it higher to protect their component for the user and warranty sake. Nothing wrong with having a safety factor, even if it’s 20x

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What is this "new math" you're on about?

Watts = Volts x Amps. What is this multiply by 10 you are doing?

Also, it's voila not "Wala."
Calm down gramps

toymaster

Badlands
First Name
Leonardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What we have here is a "failure to communicate", that happens when advertisers lie. Noticed the chinese companies play it fast and loose with the facts.

Let me do a little explaining and I have also supplied a link for some light reading...see what I did there :)

There is a reason LED's are not measured in "watts". Also, the voltage of those lights are 9-30 vdc. You are using a nominal 12V for our calculations. I'm sure if you pumped in ~30V into them you could get close to 60W of power usage. Read the article below and let us know if you need some more splain'n

1-Watt, 3-Watt & High Wattage LEDs Explained (ledsupply.com)

Sponsored

Billnchristy

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bmw m440i gc,2022 BD 2dr, 1966 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Probably because there is no effin way they are 60w.

Djstang2011

Badlands
First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT, 2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
LED Lights advertised at "X" watts usually means brightness, not actual power consumption.

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

LED Lights advertised at "X" watts usually means brightness, not actual power consumption.
This is absolutely correct. LED bulbs for your house are listed as a wattage equivalent. For example a 120W LED bulb may only draw 10W of power but the brightness is similar to a 120W incandescent bulb, making it easier for consumers who are unfamiliar with LEDs.

OP
OP
the paws

the paws

Outer Banks
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Thx Toymaster. The article was interesting. But, still, at 13.5 volts actually drew less than a 1/2 amp. So, it’s still a mystery. Maybe the forward voltage os actually 120 volts times 1/2 amp equals 60 watts. In any event, before connecting something to your Aux circuits, some checking would be in order. In my case, it looks like a 10A circuit could handle 20 of the “60 watt” lights. Hummm.

BTW “wala” is an advanced engineering word. Voila is a bastardized French word. So there! LOL. Voila is pronounced wała. So there!

Sponsored
OP
OP
the paws

the paws

Outer Banks
First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So, I'm not crazy, well maybe I am but not for this. I've never understood the wild wattage ratings some were claiming for their LEDs. I've installed cheapo LED lighting kits with the included relays, and I've wired bare lights in direct with no issues, this 'splains it.
Sponsored