M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco HE
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Ford will likely ruin it by putting rattling and defective cam phasers and a rubber oil pump belt...
On a side note, you mentioned relic and 90's in the same sentence and I'm here doing math like, there is no way the 90's happened almost 35 years ago...:cry:

Ford already has a fairly recent I6 turbo.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Barra_engine
HAD...
the I6 engines continued production until 26 September 2016
I know it feels like 2016 wasn't that long ago, but that's over 7 years ago now...
Sponsored

Billy Goat

Wildtrak
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Velociraptor 400
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Buddy of mine back in the early '80s. Put one in a CJ with a predator carb and killed him at the mud pit pulls

Bill K

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Big Bend 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Folks that have been turning wrench on Fords since the 90s will understand this and it's to get everyone's thoughts about it. I suggested to Ford the they revive the 300 straight 6 as an Ecoboost, with the reliability of the original, but with the ability of the Ecoboost line (my '16 2.7 Ecoboost out towed my '97 F-350...5.8L/351 Everytime). Considering the size of the Broncos and Rangers compared to earlier eras, I also suggested they could use it in Broncos, Rangers, and F-150s. What are folks' thoughts about the 300 Straight 6 returning?

Steve
I had the inline straight six on an '81 F100 pickup. Had a problem where coolant would get in the oil and come up as a phlegm like flow into the air cleaner thru the carburetor. Changed the head gasket, and it still kept doing it. I know many are fans of that engine, but I'm not...

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mazda just came out with a single turbo 3.3 Inline 6:

Mazda's new inline-six displaces 3.3 liters, is boosted by a single turbocharger, and incorporates a 48-volt hybrid-assist system that can add 17 horsepower and 113 pound-feet of torque. The new six comes in two strengths. CX-90 Turbo models get a version that makes 280 horsepower at 5000 rpm and 332 pound-feet of torque at 2000 rpm. For top-spec Turbo S models, the power goes up to 340 horsepower at 5000 rpm and 369 pound-feet at 2000 rpm.

https://news.mazdausa.com/2023-01-17-All-New-Inline-Six-Turbo-to-be-Available-in-2024-Mazda-CX-90

I got it that it's a different platform and could be tuned higher but with Ford offering the 2.3L engine making 300 hp and 325 pound-feet of torque, and the 2.7L engine making 330 hp and 415 pound-feet of torque an all new engine would have to be substantial in both power and economy over the current offerings.
I don't think Ford has any sort of partnership with Mazda anymore unfortunately, but if they would go ahead and license this engine that would check all the boxes. Of course it would probably be locked to the auto. Choosing the 7MT over the 2.7 was an easy choice that took about 2 nano seconds, this would be a lot harder.

I had the inline straight six on an '81 F100 pickup. Had a problem where coolant would get in the oil and come up as a phlegm like flow into the air cleaner thru the carburetor. Changed the head gasket, and it still kept doing it. I know many are fans of that engine, but I'm not...
It is highly overrated, the only engine in a Ford that's more overrated is the 7.3 PSD. But inline 6s in general are pretty awesome.

Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Technically true. However in referencing Broncos, or F 150ā€™s push rod motors are extinct. BTW, I would like nothing better than a 5.0 push rod for the Bronco. Take care.

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe should have had the head milled while it was off.

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Ford will likely ruin it by putting rattling and defective cam phasers and a rubber oil pump belt...
On a side note, you mentioned relic and 90's in the same sentence and I'm here doing math like, there is no way the 90's happened almost 35 years ago...:cry:

Ford already has a fairly recent I6 turbo.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Barra_engine
Those Barra engines are a real hot ticket to import. I saw one last year a guy stuck in a foxbody, it was badazz.

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
All I want is a reliable small 4 banger turbodiesel with gobs of torque down low and actual range worth a shit on the stock tank.

JEMSA

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70 Bronco, 82 F350, 91 MX5, 93 MX5, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Perfectly happy with the 302 in my ā€˜70 Bronco - and itā€™s got 320,000 on the clock, stock ignition and manual 3spd too. Though I am tempted to put a Windsor in next rebuild. My Cleveland always ran too hot. My 6G is my first vehicle built this century, if you want to talk relicsā€¦I admit Iā€™m worried how the turbo will hold up once the odometer rolls twiceā€¦sorry I guess they arenā€™t mechanical anymore and have extra digits, donā€™t ā€œroll overā€ anymore.

IMG_0827.png

Sponsored

Bill K

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Big Bend 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Maybe should have had the head milled while it was off.
Had it checked for flatness and the shop I took it to said it didn't need it...