Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

2021 Big Bend 2.3 Auto, October '21 build date, almost 50k on the odo as of right now.

A few weeks ago, I started to notice that when i got into the truck to start it after it had been sitting, the brake pedal was rock hard, and didn't start to act like a real pedal until the engine started and the vacuum pump was clearly running to help things along.

After googling and hunting around here, seems it's an issue with the vacuum line attached to the booster, and/or the booster being contaminated from the factory. This is all well and good and the truck's covered for everything to 100k anyways.

Here's the rub:

As time has gone on, the pedal feel is getting worse and worse. What used to take 15-20 minutes to firm up is now happening almost immediately when the truck is shut off. So it's definitely dumping vacuum wayyyy too fast. For comparison, my 15 year old VW that has the same style vacuum-assisted braking, will still have residual vacuum in the line weeks after the car has been shut off.

I have found the various TSB/SSB's that relate to this, and presented them to my local dealership where the vehicle was purchased, to have them shrug it off and happily schedule an appointment for THE END OF MARCH. The claim is that they are literally this busy, AND that once they have the vehicle, it will take upwards of 3-5 days 'to diagnose', and an unspecified amount of time for repairs after that. I get a similar level of horseshit story from every dealership service dept within 30 miles.

"We need 3-5 days to diagnose"
"Oh, so it takes you 4 days to plug in a computer and get the codes from the vehicle?"
"well, it's a lot more than that sir"
"ok, let's assume it is, so your tech is driving my car for 3-5 days?"
"well, no. They use the diagnostic tools we have here for that."
"and that takes 4 days?"
"Uhm, yes."

I am truly glad that @Ford Motor Company has made a reliable vehicle (it really has been, I've done little beyond changing the oil in 48,500 miles), because the dealership support network that keeps our trucks running is bad. How bad? It's apple maps bad:

Ford Bronco Another brake booster vacuum leak tenor

Meanwhile, I still have to get this addressed, as I know that eventually this will lead to a very exciting few seconds where I come off a freeway and watch my brake pedal get acquainted with my floorboard while nothing slows down. Will likely end up just buying the damn vacuum line and doing it myself because even a couple hundred bucks is worth less of my time than waiting months for the dealership molasses to drip. Same reason I replaced my window switches myself vs waiting 3-5 days (was really quoted this time frame) for this

A safety issue shouldn't be prevented from being repaired because of the forced market mechanism of 'dealerships', and the ineptitude that they foster.
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
2021 Big Bend 2.3 Auto, October '21 build date, almost 50k on the odo as of right now.

A few weeks ago, I started to notice that when i got into the truck to start it after it had been sitting, the brake pedal was rock hard, and didn't start to act like a real pedal until the engine started and the vacuum pump was clearly running to help things along.

After googling and hunting around here, seems it's an issue with the vacuum line attached to the booster, and/or the booster being contaminated from the factory. This is all well and good and the truck's covered for everything to 100k anyways.

Here's the rub:

As time has gone on, the pedal feel is getting worse and worse. What used to take 15-20 minutes to firm up is now happening almost immediately when the truck is shut off. So it's definitely dumping vacuum wayyyy too fast. For comparison, my 15 year old VW that has the same style vacuum-assisted braking, will still have residual vacuum in the line weeks after the car has been shut off.

I have found the various TSB/SSB's that relate to this, and presented them to my local dealership where the vehicle was purchased, to have them shrug it off and happily schedule an appointment for THE END OF MARCH. The claim is that they are literally this busy, AND that once they have the vehicle, it will take upwards of 3-5 days 'to diagnose', and an unspecified amount of time for repairs after that. I get a similar level of horseshit story from every dealership service dept within 30 miles.

"We need 3-5 days to diagnose"
"Oh, so it takes you 4 days to plug in a computer and get the codes from the vehicle?"
"well, it's a lot more than that sir"
"ok, let's assume it is, so your tech is driving my car for 3-5 days?"
"well, no. They use the diagnostic tools we have here for that."
"and that takes 4 days?"
"Uhm, yes."

I am truly glad that @Ford Motor Company has made a reliable vehicle (it really has been, I've done little beyond changing the oil in 48,500 miles), because the dealership support network that keeps our trucks running is bad. How bad? It's apple maps bad:

tenor-gif.gif

Meanwhile, I still have to get this addressed, as I know that eventually this will lead to a very exciting few seconds where I come off a freeway and watch my brake pedal get acquainted with my floorboard while nothing slows down. Will likely end up just buying the damn vacuum line and doing it myself because even a couple hundred bucks is worth less of my time than waiting months for the dealership molasses to drip. Same reason I replaced my window switches myself vs waiting 3-5 days (was really quoted this time frame) for this

A safety issue shouldn't be prevented from being repaired because of the forced market mechanism of 'dealerships', and the ineptitude that they foster.
Hi there. This hard pedal concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your Bronco. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end. To send a private message, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation".

OP
OP
HotdogThud

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I appreciate that Ford reached out, I know it's just a social media presence to *try* to get things moving.

That being said. I just spent about 45 minutes on the phone with a nice dude at Ford that sympathized, and agrees that the dealership model sucks. However, they will apply zero pressure to any dealership to get things moving to support their vehicles, whether it's a cosmetic issue, functionality issue, or in my current case, *a safety issue*.

Ford will continue to allow dealerships to just run rampant over the customer experience in pursuit of their own ineptitude and failure to staff themselves with enough workers to support their product. Why bother, when you can artificially distort the known supply, to increase demand and keep the service bays full!? I mean, the kitchen certainly stays busy when you have a full restaurant but refuse to hire more than one cook.

It is a damn shame to see San Tan Ford fall so hard into being just another mediocre dealership that barely supports the product they sell. From getting caught running their oil drain plugs in via impact guns, to chunking up their own customer vehicles during windshield replacements to this, they're just apathetic when it comes to any form of ownership.

The next-gen 4Runner's are looking mighty sexy right about now.
Sponsored

Last edited: