First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Was slowing for an intersection, ABS kicked in super aggressively, then threw a brake fault and straight locked the tires up. Limped into a parking lot and I have NO brakes. Pedal is firm but does nothing. Once you press it hard enough it's like flipping a switch and it locks up, I think it's actually the parking brake clamping down on the rear tires.

Getting a Check Brake System, Service advanctrac, pre-collision assist not available, etc all the typical Bronco gremlins.

Guessing the stupid electronic brake booster bit the dust. Luckily it did it right next to the Ford dealer. Hopefully they'll look at it Monday.

I'm really starting to lose faith in this thing, it's spent more time at the dealer than any car I've owned.

Ford Bronco Brake Fault (2.7L) Left Me Stranded - UPDATE - Failed Brake Booster Screenshot_20230121_200625_FordPass

Ford Bronco Brake Fault (2.7L) Left Me Stranded - UPDATE - Failed Brake Booster Screenshot_20230121_202129_FORScan Lite

Ford Bronco Brake Fault (2.7L) Left Me Stranded - UPDATE - Failed Brake Booster Screenshot_20230121_202134_FORScan Lite
Sponsored

Last edited:

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I had the same failure and same code. Haven't experienced it since the ABS module was reprogrammed, but pedal feel and engagement has been really inconsistent since.

PXL_20221201_142725692.jpg

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Man, I knew the 2.3 at break issues, but I thought that was the one area the 2.7 was clear of!

Cbiggs

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ, 94 YJ, 04 JK, 17 Taco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry to hear this, Ty. I know how you feel, mine went down yesterday with what I’m guessing is a bad power steering pump, or the driveshaft that was just replaced on 12/27 under the recall. Headed to the dealer tomorrow.
good luck with your repair, sharing your frustration…..

OP
OP
AK SNO RIDER

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I had the same failure and same code. Haven't experienced it since the ABS module was reprogrammed, but pedal feel and engagement has been really inconsistent since.

Ford Bronco Brake Fault (2.7L) Left Me Stranded - UPDATE - Failed Brake Booster PXL_20221201_142725692
Thanks, Ill have to mention that TSB to them.
Man, I knew the 2.3 at break issues, but I thought that was the one area the 2.7 was clear of!
Same, I hadn't heard of any 2.7 brake failures but did some searching last night and there seem to be plenty to go around.

What amazes me is that it failed in such a way to be undrivable. I've had failures on other vehicles where you just lose ABS, or just lose the power assist but can still drive albeit need to stomp hard on the pedal.

More shoddy design from Ford engineers.

Sponsored

KABQ

Base
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'93 4Runner, '84 Vanagon, '93 Miata, '14 LittleGuy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thanks, Ill have to mention that TSB to them.

Same, I hadn't heard of any 2.7 brake failures but did some searching last night and there seem to be plenty to go around.

What amazes me is that it failed in such a way to be undrivable. I've had failures on other vehicles where you just lose ABS, or just lose the power assist but can still drive albeit need to stomp hard on the pedal.

More shoddy design from Ford engineers.
I agree 100%. That type of failure (complete loss of brakes other than full lock up) shouldn't be possible, especially for something as simple as a software glitch. My dealer didn't think it was a big deal and made me wait 3 weeks for service. It happened to me in November and I still don't fully trust the brakes.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That is probably the single biggest design flaw of the Bronco. Other vehicles may go into limp mode, drive harder, something... But they get you off the trail.

Broncos have a bad signal from a sensor and it seems like it was a throw its hands up in the air it just refused to move!

Let us know what they find out. Don't take this the wrong way, but I hope it's something freaking major for to act the way that it did and not some stupid minor thing.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ouch... At least it's under warranty. Seems like nothing on this Bronco is cheap to replace.

Between that and the electronics, that may eventually be the nail in the coffin that prevents the Bronco from being a true off-road rig.

Wonder how long it's going to take them to get the part?

OP
OP
AK SNO RIDER

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Ouch... At least it's under warranty. Seems like nothing on this Bronco is cheap to replace.

Between that and the electronics, that may eventually be the nail in the coffin that prevents the Bronco from being a true off-road rig.

Wonder how long it's going to take them to get the part?
They said 4-5 days so at least it's not on backorder.

Definitely not a vehicle I want to own without a warranty

Sponsored

gemask

Badlands
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had my brake booster go out after installing a lift and reconnecting the battery this summer. The lock up is the ABS module triggering the parking brake. If you have Forscan you can look up in the live data the line pressures of each wheel and then the main pressure at the booster.

On mine I believe it was really just a sensor in the module that went bad telling the system it had no pressure, even though each wheel was seeing over 6k PSI with the pedal pressed to the floor.

It's a $2300 part because the ABS module is built into the booster and is entirely unserviceable. F150s have had a TSB and recall for trucks with the 2.7 since 2021... funny that's probably the same part but didn't manage to get a recall on the Bronco...

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Was slowing for an intersection, ABS kicked in super aggressively, then threw a brake fault and straight locked the tires up. Limped into a parking lot and I have NO brakes. Pedal is firm but does nothing. Once you press it hard enough it's like flipping a switch and it locks up, I think it's actually the parking brake clamping down on the rear tires.

Getting a Check Brake System, Service advanctrac, pre-collision assist not available, etc all the typical Bronco gremlins.

Guessing the stupid electronic brake booster bit the dust. Luckily it did it right next to the Ford dealer. Hopefully they'll look at it Monday.

I'm really starting to lose faith in this thing, it's spent more time at the dealer than any car I've owned.

Ford Bronco Brake Fault (2.7L) Left Me Stranded - UPDATE - Failed Brake Booster PXL_20221201_142725692

Good afternoon! This doesn't sound like the kind of experience we want you to have. Feel free to send over a private message including your VIN and dealership info at your earliest convenience. I can look into things for you.

Robert Killion

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Exact same thing happen to me 3 weeks ago. Took it to the dealer and they said it threw an error code but they couldn’t find anything wrong. They rest it cleared the code. The ABS light came back on on my way home from the dealership. Took it back to the dealer and it’s been there over a week. The dealership called me 3 days ago and said they can’t fix it but have a call in to the Ford hotline. A Ford technician is either going to call them and walk them thru troubleshooting or will come to the dealership and troubleshoot. Kinda weird the dealership can’t troubleshoot, maybe they should read the Forum. It is scary and dangerous when it goes out. First time it happen my wife was driving it and she said she never driving it again.

OP
OP
AK SNO RIDER

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Exact same thing happen to me 3 weeks ago. Took it to the dealer and they said it threw an error code but they couldn’t find anything wrong. They rest it cleared the code. The ABS light came back on on my way home from the dealership. Took it back to the dealer and it’s been there over a week. The dealership called me 3 days ago and said they can’t fix it but have a call in to the Ford hotline. A Ford technician is either going to call them and walk them thru troubleshooting or will come to the dealership and troubleshoot. Kinda weird the dealership can’t troubleshoot, maybe they should read the Forum. It is scary and dangerous when it goes out. First time it happen my wife was driving it and she said she never driving it again.
Any update on yours?

I just got mine back. ABS/booster module replaced and all was well on the drive home.

They've had it done since late last week, the part isn't on backorder thankfully. Wonder if you can talk your dealer in to just replacing it.
Sponsored