First Name
Aneil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Over the last three weeks I started getting a random "trailer brake module fault" pop up on my dash. I took it to the dealer last week and not only did they not have a solution, now I also get a "trailer brake fault" pop up intermittently with the module fault repeatedly while driving the vehicle. Can anyone provide any insight to the problem and how to fix it? It has gotten so bad that I just don't drive it.

I call the dealer (Beach Ford) everyday to see if they have a fix and I think they are ghosting me because no one will answer or return my calls.
Sponsored

OP
OP
akinG6OB

akinG6OB

Outer Banks
First Name
Aneil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Here is a brief video of the fault notices.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Over the last three weeks I started getting a random "trailer brake module fault" pop up on my dash. I took it to the dealer last week and not only did they not have a solution, now I also get a "trailer brake fault" pop up intermittently with the module fault repeatedly while driving the vehicle. Can anyone provide any insight to the problem and how to fix it? It has gotten so bad that I just don't drive it.

I call the dealer (Beach Ford) everyday to see if they have a fix and I think they are ghosting me because no one will answer or return my calls.
Good morning. Would you privately message us with your VIN and the location of your Ford dealer so I can look into this trailer brake message concern on my end? Thank you!

mini4mw

Badlands
First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
1) Do you have factory 7pin towing package?
2) When it comes up are you towing anything, doesn't sound like it..
3) Do you have a brake controller installed, what model
4) have you disconnected the negative terminal of the battery for a period of time to let the car 'reset'? The Bronco seems like an older Windows computer that needs to be rebooted once in a a while
5) if it keeps happening, it may be related to the F150 TSB.
https://www.f150forum.com/f129/trailer-brake-module-fault-501819/
https://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/F-150/2021/tsbs/tsb-21b08-s1.shtml

If you google that error there are lots of similar threads for the F150 which probably shares the same components. One thing they can do is reflash/program that module with some IDS software/machine. google gives more info on it. If reprogramming doesn't do it, could be short/loose wire in the 7/4 pin plug.

OP
OP
akinG6OB

akinG6OB

Outer Banks
First Name
Aneil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thank you for your reply.
1)yes,
2)no
3)no, I have not had one installed.
4)I have not. I saw this suggested fix on a blog but was hesitant that it might mess up other computers. But, I will try it.

Thanks again.

Sponsored

mini4mw

Badlands
First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i'd try the reset, if that doesn't work get the dealer to re-flash/program the module, if that doesn't work sounds like a module failure or possibly issue with 7/4 pin connector. The reprogram may also error out showing a faulty unit. If the dealer has no ideas, they can at least try that..

OP
OP
akinG6OB

akinG6OB

Outer Banks
First Name
Aneil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thank you for the help. I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery last night to restart the computer and the fault is no longer persistently showing up but seems to pop up when I let my foot off the brake after coming to a complete stop and then goes away on its own almost right away.

I will give the other options a try. Ford actually opened a case on the issue from this thread and direct communications on bronco6g so there is hope it will get resolved.
Thanks again,
Aneil

mini4mw

Badlands
First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the update. That is a tough gremlin. Sounds like it could be a short, bad ground or the module. I'd double check no moisture on the 4/7 pin socket (open the flaps and make sure the pins are dry) and wiggle the back of the connector and lightly pull on the cord coming out to see if makes any changes (loose wires somewhere). If no changes, its probably something under the plastic (lose wire) or the module and I'd let Ford figure it out (unfortunately). If you wanted to get into it, I'd follow/find where the ground goes from the 4/7 and make sure its tight and clean.

DaGuzer

Outer Banks
First Name
Guze
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have the same issue with mine. Took it to Encinitas Ford and awaiting the replacement module that I’m told should fix it. Been waiting three months now. Getting annoyed with the dash notice every time I start it.
The module is in a terrible spot IMO, above rear driver tire inside behind the plastic trim pieces. I think moisture may have gotten back there. Designers should never have put it in that location, especially with a soft top

OP
OP
akinG6OB

akinG6OB

Outer Banks
First Name
Aneil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have the same issue with mine. Took it to Encinitas Ford and awaiting the replacement module that I’m told should fix it. Been waiting three months now. Getting annoyed with the dash notice every time I start it.
The module is in a terrible spot IMO, above rear driver tire inside behind the plastic trim pieces. I think moisture may have gotten back there. Designers should never have put it in that location, especially with a soft top
Sorry to hear it. At times the constant chime was maddening. My replacement module came in on 12/19 and had it promptly replaced. No more faults and chimes. I hope your Ford dealer can get their hands on your module.

Sponsored

brewsterdabronco

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Door 6G
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’m having the same issue too. Showed up about two months ago with other electrical notifications then again yesterday while driving. Received a notification informing me to shut the vehicle down. Pulled into a gas station and heard a relay in the back driver side throwing numerous times. I’ll disconnect neutral and see what happens.

Roc_Cero8

Wildtrak
First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am having this same issue and it is driving me insane. Anyword on how to fix this. I have already scheduled an appointment at my local Ford but would like to see if there is a way to disable it until it gets serviced. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

@Ford please find a fix for this because it is very distracting and could potentially cause an accident. It makes the instrument panel hard to read speed and RPMs with the fault taking up the whole screen and constantly popping up.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

When I installed my brake controller, there is a plug that goes into the end of the wire harness that you have to remove in order to plug the actual brake controller into.

This isn't a dust cover and I don't know what it does but it does remind me of somthing that may have some sort of wire jumper function.

My point, maybe try unplugging it and either leave it out or clean it and make sure it is seated correctly.

You can see what I'm talking about in various Bronco Redarc Brake Controller install videos on YouTube..bit basically it is a plug just above the driver's side of the center console under the dash. Totally accessible when you just look under there.

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I just got this for the first time today. I pulled over unplugged my seven pin connector and plugged it back in. The errors went away. Time will tell if that’s a long-term fix. I suspect just a bad connection in the plug.

Edit: no dice on it being a long-term fix. It did make the error go away for a few hours. But it came back. Even worse, now after I disconnect a trailer my blinkers are flashing rapidly. I’ll try the battery disconnect and see if that helps.
Sponsored

Last edited: