Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Finally got the chance to test drive a bronco yesterday. Local dealer finally listed they had a mannequin unit not for sale so made an appointment to test drive. So here is some thoughts from someone with 0 experience in these types of vehicles.

Best part for me, was almost identical to my build. 4 door soft top big bend 2.3 auto. Only thing it was missing was the mid package.

What I really wanted to see was the soft top noise levels. I have seen various degrees of people saying noisy or quiet and just needed to see for myself. Honestly it's fairly quiet. As soon as we got in, I could hear noise from the highway more than in my Mazda so initially I was like oh man this is gonna be loud, but much to my surprise it wasn't bad. Got to around 55 mph and was able to have a normal conversation, had the radio going and could hear just fine. Wife didn't think it was loud at all.

Driving impressions: awesome. Felt very solid, good feel to it. It feels way bigger than it is, I'd guess just from being so boxy. My initial thoughts on the 2.3 were correct, from experience with ranger and explorer. It has plenty of punch, and more than enough to get out of its own way.

Only thing I didn't like was the feel of the brakes, felt very mushy. Coming to a stop from 55 I felt like I had to press the pedal down way more than I was expecting. Part of that could be design and I'm just so used to the brake feel of my Mazda.

TLDR, soft top while does let in some road noise I would not say it's loud, 2.3 has plenty of power, brakes meh. Can't wait to get mine
Sponsored

Rahkmalla

Base
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 K900
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

soft top has acceptable levels of road noise up to 70. wouldn't call it quiet, but if you've driven a soft top convertible before, or especially a Wrangler softtop before, I feel like you know what you're getting yourself into and wont be disappointed.

That being said, I feel like the entire story changes once you hit 80. It starts to get real loud once you really get it going.

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I didn't think there was a big worry about the noise level with the soft top. Heck, I've drove Corvette's for years, and I expect the soft top Bronco would be as quiet as a tomb compared. Road noise is a relative thing depending on what one as driven over the years. Drive a Lincoln the Bronco soft top will be just too loud, and vise versa if you've driven a sports car over the years. Now, I just wish the dealers in my area wasn't so tight assed about test driving their mannequins.

Last edited:

Mr. Nice

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12' Boss302, 08' Audi TT, 13' CRV, 14" Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Finally got the chance to test drive a bronco yesterday. Local dealer finally listed they had a mannequin unit not for sale so made an appointment to test drive. So here is some thoughts from someone with 0 experience in these types of vehicles.

Best part for me, was almost identical to my build. 4 door soft top big bend 2.3 auto. Only thing it was missing was the mid package.

What I really wanted to see was the soft top noise levels. I have seen various degrees of people saying noisy or quiet and just needed to see for myself. Honestly it's fairly quiet. As soon as we got in, I could hear noise from the highway more than in my Mazda so initially I was like oh man this is gonna be loud, but much to my surprise it wasn't bad. Got to around 55 mph and was able to have a normal conversation, had the radio going and could hear just fine. Wife didn't think it was loud at all.

Driving impressions: awesome. Felt very solid, good feel to it. It feels way bigger than it is, I'd guess just from being so boxy. My initial thoughts on the 2.3 were correct, from experience with ranger and explorer. It has plenty of punch, and more than enough to get out of its own way.

Only thing I didn't like was the feel of the brakes, felt very mushy. Coming to a stop from 55 I felt like I had to press the pedal down way more than I was expecting. Part of that could be design and I'm just so used to the brake feel of my Mazda.

TLDR, soft top while does let in some road noise I would not say it's loud, 2.3 has plenty of power, brakes meh. Can't wait to get mine
How about the brakes, anybody care?
Broncos with the 2.3 have Ranger like vacuum assist. The Ranger's brakes are a known and documented sore spot. The 2.7’s have electronic assist.
Car and Driver’s testing showed a much heavier 2.7 stopping 20 feet shorter than a lighter 2.3.
The 217 foot stop from 70 MPH for the four banger should be very concerning. I believe they were both 2DR’s. The 4DR 2.3 will be worse. Then there are the folks upsizing their tires, yikes...

Thed

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GX460 '16 Miata '67 F-100 '21 Streetfighter V4
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

soft top has acceptable levels of road noise up to 70. wouldn't call it quiet, but if you've driven a soft top convertible before, or especially a Wrangler softtop before, I feel like you know what you're getting yourself into and wont be disappointed.

That being said, I feel like the entire story changes once you hit 80. It starts to get real loud once you really get it going.
Can confirm. After hitting 70 MPH it's like turning a wind noise switch on. Given that I have other vehicles to go fast in and the Bronco's atrocious aerodynamics, I don't think I'll be regularly hitting 80 MPH.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Don't know what mazda you have but many are designed to provide a lot of driver feedback. Mazda's entire zoom zoom is based off of driver seat experience.

My wife hates driving my Mazda 3 because the steering and breaks are "heavy" according to her.

I wasn't aware that the 2.3 and the 2.7 used entirely different braking systems, but it has been said that replacing your rubber brake lines (at the wheels) with steel braided ones can significantly improve brake feel.
Sponsored