Sponsored

anyone else have this issue with wireless Android Auto?

Amcole1984

Big Bend
First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So for the past few months my wireless android auto had been disconnecting A LOT. Phone and bronco are both up to date and I have done the reset where you hold down the buttons. Well, i connect when I leave for work and there is one area in my commute that is a huge mixmaster in Ft. Worth where it disconnects everyday. That"s not the issue. My bronco has not been letting me reconnect. It will not reconnect automatically anymore, even though it used to with no problem. Now it doesn't even let me reconnect at all unless I pull off the freeway and come to a complete stop. If I try while driving it tells me that this feature has been diabled while driving for safety. Wtf! So now I go the last half of my commute with no music, no gps, no nothing. Is there a way around this? The first 2 years, my wireless android auto was fine, now it's horrible. I also have the same phone, so it's definitely something with the software in the truck.
Sponsored

Last edited:

bradcd

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Have you tried deleting the Ford Pass app? Worth a try first as it fixed my issues.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...uck-for-some-of-you.83611/page-4#post-2121384

What version of Android are you on? Also just throwing this out there. Phones pretty much have engineered obsolescence. Your phone is not the same as it was over 2 years ago, unless you've completely stopped updating it. Ford's software also is most likely not the same either. Old phone talking with new infotainment or vis versa can present its own quirks.

What's so special about that one specific area where your AA disconnects?

OP
OP
Amcole1984

Amcole1984

Big Bend
First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I think it disconnects there because there is so much going on. It is a huge mix master with lots of heavy traffic lots of concrete bridges stacked on top of one another. Probably loses signal. It happens in that same spot everyday. How do i get past the Android auto being disabled while driving? That's the part that makes me crazy.

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think it disconnects there because there is so much going on. It is a huge mix master with lots of heavy traffic lots of concrete bridges stacked on top of one another. Probably loses signal. It happens in that same spot everyday. How do i get past the Android auto being disabled while driving? That's the part that makes me crazy.
My running theory is that the bronco is susceptible to 2.4Ghz interference of a certain kind. I have the same issue in the same spots every day. I brought a spectrum analyzer from work and something is using a ton of 2.4Ghz spectrum in those spots. It has to be some kind of site to site microwave or something used by police perhaps. I don't think anything could be done except disabling wireless app projection and using a cable. To do this properly you have to delete the phone entirely from both sides and then re-add it with a cable and answer NO when it asks if you want to setup wireless.

Ibuprofen3293

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22MY Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My running theory is that the bronco is susceptible to 2.4Ghz interference of a certain kind. I have the same issue in the same spots every day. I brought a spectrum analyzer from work and something is using a ton of 2.4Ghz spectrum in those spots. It has to be some kind of site to site microwave or something used by police perhaps. I don't think anything could be done except disabling wireless app projection and using a cable. To do this properly you have to delete the phone entirely from both sides and then re-add it with a cable and answer NO when it asks if you want to setup wireless.
Agree with this. Wireless Carplay disconnects in the same spots (near some airfields, near certain cell phone towers, etc).

Sponsored

bradcd

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree there must be some kind of large radio disturbance going on there to fully disconnect you. I've lost GPS signal in tri-level underground streets in Chicago but never a wireless AA disconnect. Seems strange, you may want to try clearing your Google Maps and Android Auto cache to just start fresh. There are some other adjustments to Google Maps that may make a difference like GPS accuracy selection and battery optimizations: https://www.geekdashboard.com/fix-gps-signal-lost-google-maps-android-auto/

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
So for the past few months my wireless android auto had been disconnecting A LOT. Phone and bronco are both up to date and I have done the reset where you hold down the buttons. Well, i connect when I leave for work and there is one area in my commute that is a huge mixmaster in Ft. Worth where it disconnects everyday. That"s not the issue. My bronco has not been letting me reconnect. It will not reconnect automatically anymore, even though it used to with no problem. Now it doesn't even let me reconnect at all unless I pull off the freeway and come to a complete stop. If I try while driving it tells me that this feature has been diabled while driving for safety. Wtf! So now I go the last half of my commute with no music, no gps, no nothing. Is there a way around this? The first 2 years, my wireless android auto was fine, now it's horrible. I also have the same phone, so it's definitely something with the software in the truck.
Hi Amber! I can look into your Bronco's concern on my end. To get started, could you please send a private message over with the name/location of your local Ford dealer and your Bronco's VIN?

Billy Goat

Wildtrak
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Velociraptor 400
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I travel that area quite a bit up and down 35 and the 20/30 mixmasters and toll roads. I used to have that issue but it seems like it corrected itself. With my Google phone connected via cable, sometimes it won't let me access Ford apps. But what the Bronco didn't like was surfing songs on Sirius or off my USB. While moving That's when I would get that screen but it's calmed down quite a bit now.

Billy Goat

Wildtrak
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Velociraptor 400
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That said, I did have some signal dropping issues which I believe are attributed to the Yakima rack on top. So I'm contemplating doing the antenna relocation mentioned in other threads

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This ^^^

I've got one zone on my commute that does it nearly every time. it also happens to be a spot with a huge amount of infrastructure. Probably upwards of 30-35 different repeaters and cell antennas on this one tower that's right next to the freeway. I just chalk it up to someone around there clearly violating part 15 of the FCC rules...

Also, for OP, wipe your storage and cache for android auto and it'll usually reconnect just fine

Sponsored
OP
OP
Amcole1984

Amcole1984

Big Bend
First Name
Amber
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This ^^^

I've got one zone on my commute that does it nearly every time. it also happens to be a spot with a huge amount of infrastructure. Probably upwards of 30-35 different repeaters and cell antennas on this one tower that's right next to the freeway. I just chalk it up to someone around there clearly violating part 15 of the FCC rules...

Also, for OP, wipe your storage and cache for android auto and it'll usually reconnect just fine
Wiped everything. Had same issue this morning. Will not auto reconnect and cannot manually rexonnect because it says AA is disabled while driving for safety.

bradcd

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oddly enough, I found a spot local to me where wireless AA is disconnecting consistently. Not sure if it would have always done that or there's been a recent change in radio signals in that area, I haven't been doing wireless AA for very long. It's just like OP's spot, right when traveling through a multi level interchange. I was able to go into the infotainment screen/Settings/Phone and just click the AA symbol and it reconnected again just fine without slowing down. I wonder if it requiring you to safely come to a stop before reconnecting is phone/manufacturer specific.

TacosTuesday

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Badlands 2dr 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
thankfully, i havent experience any issues at all with wireless AA. i'm fairly close to Camp Pendleton, and a bunch of radio towers too. i'm on a pixel 8 pro. definitely wondering if those with problems are on older versions of android or older hardware? it's hard to imagine that outside radios would be strong enough to impact connectivity within the cabin. they would have to be very very strong and pointed right at you. otherwise, you'd lose it every time you pulled into an apartment complex or business park.

bradcd

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
thankfully, i havent experience any issues at all with wireless AA. i'm fairly close to Camp Pendleton, and a bunch of radio towers too. i'm on a pixel 8 pro. definitely wondering if those with problems are on older versions of android or older hardware? it's hard to imagine that outside radios would be strong enough to impact connectivity within the cabin. they would have to be very very strong and pointed right at you. otherwise, you'd lose it every time you pulled into an apartment complex or business park.
I had no issues with my older A11 phone running wired. As soon as I upgraded I started having problems. I have a Nothing Phone 2 on A14, latest everything, mostly using wireless AA. You typically benefit by not being the first adopter of tech.
Sponsored