Sponsored

Anyone go with 5.13 or 5.38 gears on 37’s and still daily the Bronco?

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Pretty sure Dusty has some miles on his towards the last page, for sure by now. Give him a ping, I'm sure he'll be responsive.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/yukon-5-13-gears-in-factory-m210-housing-it-fits.83319/page-4
Sorry guys I didn't see the notifications until I logged back in to my Icon account today. So I'm embarrassed to report that I still don't have those axles under the Bronco yet. Quite a few things have gotten in the way (such as being out wheeling instead of in the shop wrenching LOL...oh, and using my Christmas break to overhaul my car trailer!). Anyhow we hope to finally tackle it this weekend, in time to break the gears in before leaving for UBB. So unfortunately I don't have any insight on performance or MPG yet.

I do have one small update though. I did finally get my new tires last week, and put them on this past weekend. 37" Nitto Recon Grapplers. I love the looks of the 37's under the 2-door. Just about perfect if you ask me. But the 4.46's are noticably under-geared for them. They were with the 35's too, but not as much of course. I'm looking forward to the 5.13's, which will get me closer to the original final drive ratio it had when it was stripper Bronco on pizza cutters. BTW those Recon Grapplers ride very nice.

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
If your worried I would increase the oil change interval and go synthetic. Your not going far enough from factory optioned 4.71 to be in uncharted water. I wouldn't expect to get more than 75K miles out of the 5.13/5.38 gears. Biggest thing is knowing your going to be doing gears again if you plan to keep it 100K miles.
I'm not sure that is 100% in every case. Plenty of Wranglers out there running 37's and 5.13s with many miles on them. I had over 75K with zero signs of issues.

It all boils down to:

1. Setup and installation--wrong preload and lash guarantee early failure. I would also have them REM Isotropic polished prior to install.

2. Gear brand--I would only use Dana Spicer

3. Use case--deflection will kill 3.45 gears just as fast as 5.38

4. Heat and load management--D44s were not built for 37's or larger tires and with them it is very easy to overload the axle and cause it to run too hot. D44 Advantek axles run hot unloaded and with 33" tires. I saw 220°F in the rear at 75MPH and 95°F ambient.

5. Oil viscosity--Dana Spicer specs 75W-140 and OEMs spec 75W-90 or thinner

6. Maintenance--there is no such thing as a lifetime fill and the oil capacity of the current gen D44 has been reduced from the previous generations. Frequent oil changes are needed.

22luxobx

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F-150 SE
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Didn’t realize we could add sway bar disconnect from bad lands can you send me some info on it or the forum for it? That’s awesome to hear was one thing that I wanted but preferred the daily use more over the off-road with the obx features!
Sponsored