Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As I mentioned elsewhere on the forum, I've been gathering up parts to do a drivetrain overhaul on my 2-door Base non-Sasquatch, which currently has an M190 front end, open diff of course, and 4.46 gears due to the manual transmission.. So I bought a used M210 FDU and M220 rear axle assembly that had come out of a Badlands Sasquatch, so they already had the electric lockers. The FDU still had the factory 4.70 gears but the previous owner had re-geared the rear end to 4.88, so they were mismatched anyhow and I was going to have to re-gear at least one end to match them up. But part of this upgrade also entails 37" tires (currently running 35's) so I preferred to re-gear both axles to an even deeper gear.

Like many here believed, the conventional wisdom has been that any gears lower than the factory 4.70 simply would not physically fit into the factory M210 gear case. As is often the case on the Internet, this was first said, and then repeated, by people who carry some authority on the subject, in a YouTube video. So voila, instant fact. But I'm always one to question authority :)

I'm pretty good friends with the guys up at Yukon due to my industry connections so I called up there and asked if they knew anything about it. They said of course, they actually have gears specifically designed for the Bronco M210, all the way down to 5.38. I chose to go with 5.13's (I'll explain why later), so I ordered R&P's and install kits for front and rear.

Ford Bronco Yukon 5.13 Gears in Factory M210 Housing: It Fits! 382599789_10229715584370617_6537263925449717597_n

Ford Bronco Yukon 5.13 Gears in Factory M210 Housing: It Fits! 381388355_10229715584570622_456392232240308065_n

So yesterday I had a chance to load everything up and haul it over to my buddy Mike's shop (4XDoctor) in Riverside to set these up and independently verify, for myself and for the rest of the Internet, that yes indeed you can re-gear the factory Bronco M210 to lower than 4.70. Now, Mike is mostly a Jeep shop doing straight axle gears out of Jeeps and Early Broncos, but he'd done a few IFS front drive units so he was somewhat familiar with them. But I'm not going to say the Bronco M210 FDU didn't throw him a few curveballs. But he figured it out and got it all set up. The final result is that the gears fit fine, the setup went fine, all of the bearings, shims, crush sleeve and seals that came in the Yukon install kit were correct for the application (not simply re-purposed from the Jeep JL M210 as some have found with other install kits). Basically, once we figured out how everything comes apart and goes back together, everything went smoothly and fit just right.

Ford Bronco Yukon 5.13 Gears in Factory M210 Housing: It Fits! IMG_6128-1200w

Ford Bronco Yukon 5.13 Gears in Factory M210 Housing: It Fits! IMG_6138-1200w

Ford Bronco Yukon 5.13 Gears in Factory M210 Housing: It Fits! IMG_6164-1200w

Ford Bronco Yukon 5.13 Gears in Factory M210 Housing: It Fits! IMG_6166-1200w

Ford Bronco Yukon 5.13 Gears in Factory M210 Housing: It Fits! IMG_6181-1200w

So the FDU is now buttoned up and back sitting on the bench in my own shop ready to be installed. It got late on us so I left the rear end with Mike to do at his leisure and I'll pick it up later this week. But there was no question about the M220 so I didn't see the need to hang around for that. I won't actually get these installed into the Bronco for at least a month though, as I'm waiting on some other stuff to come in so I can do everything at once. So I can't give you any seat of the pants or performance results yet but I can only verify that yes the Yukon gears do fit and everything in their install kit fits and works as intended.

So, about that Internet myth. I believe there are two things at work there. First, it was a claim made by the guys who have a vested interest in selling the very expensive complete "Ultimate" FDU. So there was an incentive to simply say their product was the only way you could get deeper gears into a 6G Bronco. Second, I believe the "deeper gears won't fit" claim was based on an early state of affairs, in which the only M210 aftermarket gears were specifically made for the Jeep JL version of the M210, and perhaps those did indeed not physically fit, at least back at the time that claim was made.

But the Nitro 5.29's have been out for a while, and those were just verified for fitment on this board a couple of days ago. I don't know how long these Yukon's have been on the market. But it looks like we now have a couple of options for deeper gears in the stock M210 FDU. So we can put that Internet myth to bed.

As an aside, Ford themselves now offer 5.13 and 5.38 gears pre-loaded in complete FDU assemblies through Ford Performance, in what appear to be factory FDU housings (not a re-branded Dana Ultimate housing). And of course Dana makes those too. But as of the last time I checked, neither Ford nor Dana offer those Ring & Pinion sets by themselves without having to buy the complete FDU.

Lastly, some have asked why I chose 5.13 gears, why not go deeper to 5.29 or 5.38. I came up with it after playing with Grimmjeeper's excellent gear calculator. I remember when I first got my Base-non-Squatch with MT, and it was on the stock 30" pizza cutters. To me it felt like it was too torquey for comfortable street driving. It felt like 32" or maybe 33" tires would have been perfect for that drivetrain. When I went to 35's it felt slightly under-geared. The stock final drive "crawl ratio" for my Bronco was 79.92. Going to 5.38s would have put me at a crawl ratio of 96.41 on 37" tires, which is slightly lower than the stock Sasquatch crawl ratio of 94.75, while highway RPMs at 75mph would be 2367. In the stock congifuattion on 30" tires, its was turning similar rpms at highway speeds (2420 at 75mph) and I always felt like it was winding out a bit too high for me. With 5.13's on 37's I'll still get a very respectable crawl ratio of 91.93 and turn 2257 rpm at 75mph on the highway. So it seems like a decent compromise for a Bronco that sees quite a bit of both freeways and off-road.

Who knows, maybe I'll regret not going with the 5.38s. We shall see!

UPDATE: We published an episode on this subject for our Horsin' Around YouTube channel. Please check it out :)

Sponsored

Last edited:

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ‘24 V60 Polestar
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Very nice.

How are you wiring the lockers?

I’ve been looking at the Ford harness that adds buttons by the media hub in front of the shifter.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks for sharing - great info! Looking forward to driving impressions.

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Very nice.

How are you wiring the lockers?

I’ve been looking at the Ford harness that adds buttons by the media hub in front of the shifter.
I've been looking at that harness too. I don't like the location they suggest for the switches though. I'll probably buy that kit anyhow for the harness, plugs, relays etc but wire it to the AUX switches instead. I've also considered a SwitchPros with their Bronco-specific mount, which would put the switches closer to the driver's hands than either the Ford solution (down in front of the shifter) or up high on the AUX switches. But I'll probably just do the AUX switches because I'm cheap.

Sponsored

scotman623

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy LT Trail boss
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is great information my friend 😎😎😎😎!!! I look forward to hearing your thoughts when you finally have everything installed and testing.. Scott

Aztec1382

Base
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Base
Awesome write up
How much were the gears from yukon

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The FDU still had the factory 4.70 gears but the previous owner had re-geared the rear end to 4.88
This is just silly, why did the PO spend the time and money on basically nothing? What are you doing with the rear 4.88s? I might have a use for them.

Awesome confirmation though, I never bought the myth.

I regular drive on the freeway at 2800+ RPM and it gets better mileage than trying to keep the RPMs down (with the boost up). So while 5.13 will be fine, I'm going with the 5.29s or 5.38s for 37s.

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is just silly, why did the PO spend the time and money on basically nothing? What are you doing with the rear 4.88s? I might have a use for them.

Awesome confirmation though, I never bought the myth.

I regular drive on the freeway at 2800+ RPM and it gets better mileage than trying to keep the RPMs down (with the boost up). So while 5.13 will be fine, I'm going with the 5.29s or 5.38s for 37s.
There was a good explanation for it. He had installed a Dana Ultimate FDU with 4.88 and re-geared the rear to match. Then a while later he upgraded the rear to a Dana 60, and put the M220 up for sale along with the 4.70 FDU he still had laying around.

Yeah as I said I may live to regret not going deeper. Part of it is no doubt due to me still getting used to these small displacement, high-revving turbo engines. It's probably living right where it wants to be cruising around at 2800 all day but my small block Ford V8 mind just has a hard time wrapping itself around that.

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Awesome write up
How much were the gears from yukon
I didn't pay retail but I'm not sure what the retail price is on them. Yukon is usually pretty competitive priced.

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Lastly, some have asked why I chose 5.13 gears, why not go deeper to 5.29 or 5.38. I came up with it after playing with Grimmjeeper's excellent gear calculator. I remember when I first got my Base-non-Squatch with MT, and it was on the stock 30" pizza cutters. To me it felt like it was too torquey for comfortable street driving. It felt like 32" or maybe 33" tires would have been perfect for that drivetrain. When I went to 35's it felt slightly under-geared. The stock final drive "crawl ratio" for my Bronco was 79.92. Going to 5.38s would have put me at a crawl ratio of 96.41 on 37" tires, which is slightly lower than the stock Sasquatch crawl ratio of 94.75, while highway RPMs at 75mph would be 2367. In the stock congifuattion on 30" tires, its was turning similar rpms at highway speeds (2420 at 75mph) and I always felt like it was winding out a bit too high for me. With 5.13's on 37's I'll still get a very respectable crawl ratio of 91.93 and turn 2257 rpm at 75mph on the highway. So it seems like a decent compromise for a Bronco that sees quite a bit of both freeways and off-road.
+1. First gear on my base MT with 30s (and 4.46 diffs) felt a bit too short for street driving. The 35s I swapped on seem a better match for first gear, no problem getting rolling, and not running out of gear so soon. The vehicle is actually easier for my family members to drive when starting from a stop. The 5.13 gears make sense, if not wanting to go back to that short first gear scenario. Hoping that works out well for you, at the low and high end of the trans gearing.

CMillBronco

Base
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 GMC HD 3500 AT4, 2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Great info Dusty and yet again making me re-think the base axles, STOP making me spend money or my wife may come have a chat with you!

Seriously though great to know we can go lower if needed, I have an auto so I think 5:13's would be perfect!!

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Did you measure the clearance after the new gears to the FDU just curious where its at with the 5.13 since well Ford is offering it.

builtMIbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond on 37s
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Good to hear and see, I plan on ordering Yukons 5.38s and chromoly shafts for the rear once I get this rack swapped.

If you want to go the cheap route this connector
IMG_0998.png
is the connector for the fdu and rear e-lockers, they both just want to see 12v+ to activate whether that's an aux switch or you use a relay and 12v source with your own switches.

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you want to go the cheap route this connector is the connector for the fdu and rear e-lockers, they both just want to see 12v+ to activate whether that's an aux switch or you use a relay and 12v source with your own switches.
Thanks for that tip! Yeah I wasn't aware I could just source the connectors so that's exactly what I'll do. I probably will use relays though.
Sponsored