Sponsored

Anyone go with 5.13 or 5.38 gears on 37’s and still daily the Bronco?

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hello planning a re gear and adding a locking FDU M210. Just wondering if it’s still decent to drive around as our bronco is still driven daily. How big of a hit to mpg if any. We have the auto transmission. Been on 37’s for 20k miles with no issues on the 4.27 gears. Have ran into multiple time where I couldn’t get up an obstacle that a front locker would help with. But I don’t want to make the bronco unpleasant to drive daily.
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP
OP
‘21OBX

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I believe both @BigMeatsBronco and @Dusty at ICON have upgraded. There's also several who have upgraded gearing using portals. My understanding is better acceleration, less top end speed and worse gas mileage.
Big meats is in his own category on 40’s and full custom. I’m looking for the guy that uses his daily. We usually have to drive at least an hour to off road and have gone 8-9 hours away. I am not wanted to buy a truck and trailer to go off road yet.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a calculator if you want to play around with the numbers at different axle ratios & tire sizes.

Personally... if I was daily driving and had the automatic transmission I don't think I would bump up higher than 4.88 on 37s. There is a LOT of gears in that transmission, and if you bump up too high the transmission will end up gear-hunting.

If this was more of a dedicated off-roading/weekend vehicle, then sure… 5.xx gears can make a lot of sense. But it sounds like this a daily driver first, and a weekend fun vehicle second. And 4.88 is a good “middle ground” between the two.

Sponsored
OP
OP
‘21OBX

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Several have re-geared. Here's one thread, several more threads out there.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/yukon-5-13-gears-in-factory-m210-housing-it-fits.83319/
I’ve read through his but last update nothing was installed or had drove time on it. But thank you! Hoping to find someone who has a couple months on them and if it’s really worth it. We do hit Windrock and Drummond island up a couple times a year each and could use the little extra advantage for sure.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve read through his but last update nothing was installed or had drove time on it. But thank you! Hoping to find someone who has a couple months on them and if it’s really worth it. We do hit Windrock and Drummond island up a couple times a year each and could use the little extra advantage
I’ve read through his but last update nothing was installed or had drove time on it. But thank you! Hoping to find someone who has a couple months on them and if it’s really worth it. We do hit Windrock and Drummond island up a couple times a year each and could use the little extra advantage for sure.
Pretty sure Dusty has some miles on his towards the last page, for sure by now. Give him a ping, I'm sure he'll be responsive.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/yukon-5-13-gears-in-factory-m210-housing-it-fits.83319/page-4

One more upgrade

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe Mogush
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Tesla Plaid X 22 Escalade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hello planning a re gear and adding a locking FDU M210. Just wondering if it’s still decent to drive around as our bronco is still driven daily. How big of a hit to mpg if any. We have the auto transmission. Been on 37’s for 20k miles with no issues on the 4.27 gears. Have ran into multiple time where I couldn’t get up an obstacle that a front locker would help with. But I don’t want to make the bronco unpleasant to drive daily.
This is from my Bronco with the 2.7, 5.13 gearing, and 38 Nitto TG's. 74 MPH at 2,300 RPM. I would recommend the Ford ProCal Tuner, it makes the shift points perfect. I am not positive, but I think you must have it when changing the gearing anyway. It's a great daily driver with no issues. I have never checked fuel economy so I don't have any info on that.

MPH.jpg

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Big meats is in his own category on 40’s and full custom. I’m looking for the guy that uses his daily. We usually have to drive at least an hour to off road and have gone 8-9 hours away. I am not wanted to buy a truck and trailer to go off road yet.
Most of the people going up that high are going to have specialty rigs. That's kind've the reason to do it.

OP
OP
‘21OBX

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is from my Bronco with the 2.7, 5.13 gearing, and 38 Nitto TG's. 74 MPH at 2,300 RPM. I would recommend the Ford ProCal Tuner, it makes the shift points perfect. I am not positive, but I think you must have it when changing the gearing anyway. It's a great daily driver with no issues. I have never checked fuel economy so I don't have any info on that.

Ford Bronco Anyone go with 5.13 or 5.38 gears on 37’s and still daily the Bronco? MPH
Thank you! Mileage is going to be what it is. With my wife driving even freeway we are lucky to see 16-18mpg on the freeway. We didn’t buy but for fuel mileage lol. I really don’t mind the 4.27 but it does feel like it lugs the engine at 72-74.

Sponsored
OP
OP
‘21OBX

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Most of the people going up that high are going to have specialty rigs. That's kind've the reason to do it.
Well we aren’t going full trail rig yet but have became very fond of crawling obstacles. We already have the badlands sway bar disconnect added to our rig. Will be going to most likely icon coilovers for the most travel without going to a long arm kit in the future. Trying to balance trail life and daily drivability.
Ford Bronco Anyone go with 5.13 or 5.38 gears on 37’s and still daily the Bronco? IMG_3023
Ford Bronco Anyone go with 5.13 or 5.38 gears on 37’s and still daily the Bronco? IMG_3022

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well we aren’t going full trail rig yet but have became very fond of crawling obstacles. We already have the badlands sway bar disconnect added to our rig. Will be going to most likely icon coilovers for the most travel without going to a long arm kit in the future. Trying to balance trail life and daily drivability.
IMG_3023.jpeg
IMG_3022.jpeg
Here's Dusty's thread about upgrading his Bronco to 5.13. He goes through his thinking pretty thoroughly. What you're proposing is a lot of work (front locker, new diffs and gearing).

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/yukon-5-13-gears-in-factory-m210-housing-it-fits.83319/

It's worth mentioning whether getting a BL Sas so you have the stock m210 in the front and then upgrading to 5.13 if you still want to is a cheaper path. You'd also get the front lockers stock.

It's just a lot of work and money to do that after the fact, but you may like the challenge.

OP
OP
‘21OBX

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Here's Dusty's thread about upgrading his Bronco to 5.13. He goes through his thinking pretty thoroughly. What you're proposing is a lot of work (front locker, new diffs and gearing).

It's worth mentioning whether getting a BL Sas so you have the stock m210 in the front and then upgrading to 5.13 if you still want to is a cheaper path. You'd also get the front lockers stock.

It's just a lot of work and money to do that after the fact, but you may like the challenge.
I already have a m210 sitting in my shed. Too late after the work I’ve out into this one to start over. If we would have known how much we would have like off roading we should have waited for a Badlands.

OP
OP
‘21OBX

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I would go with spicer gears and you shouldn't have any issues. Biggest issue with that much gearing is making heat in the differential so no stupid loads towing.
No hitch lol. Might be light brush hauling for yard cleanup someday. We do road trip it frequently
Sponsored