Sponsored

Anyone have the Ford OEM removable hoop step option?

gaaangs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

It's on my build but am wondering if it actually protects from rocks/mud being flung up? Or if its just more so for the step option? Just trying to decide if I need mud flaps or not (pavement princess).
Sponsored

Mdozier

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 F250, 23 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have them. They are mounted to a rock rail running wheel well to wheel well and serving as some protection. Ford states that the rail used with the steps will not support the weight of the vehicle but so far it's done a damn good job as a rock rail. My personal opinion is rails should be considered sacrificial. Even the body mounted factory rails which stated can support the vehicle weight don't guarantee you won't get some deformation but they do serve the purpose.
As far as replacing flaps, no. While they do pick up a good bit of mud, debris, etc. they aren't located such that they protect like a flap would. I don't have flaps and don't really worry about it. The hoop steps are removable for adventures but they've proven fairly tough for back country off roads around here.
I got them for the wife (claims 5ft but we know better...) and they're helpful.
i don't even take them off for most trips.
Hope that helps
m

JL8jeff

Base
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2door base Sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Base
My truck has them and since I'm 5'6", I find them useful when getting in and out. With the hoop step, you don't end up stepping on the sill most of the time. They do block some rocks/stones, I've heard them ding off the rail/steps but I also have mud flaps to keep the debris down. My wheels are -6 offset so they stick out a lot more than stock so the flaps help but don't block everything. You can see the flap and the step in this photo.
Ford Bronco Anyone have the Ford OEM removable hoop step option? bronco_comp5

WhiskeyCity

Badlands
First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 2.3L, 7spd
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have both and the flaps are what you want to keep stuff off your bodyside. The hoop steps are just that, steps. If you're tall enough, you don't need the steps. If you're concerned with rock chips and keeping your doors clean, front flaps are the ticket.
Ford Bronco Anyone have the Ford OEM removable hoop step option? No Fla
Ford Bronco Anyone have the Ford OEM removable hoop step option? Flap Far

FreddieLee

Wildtrak
First Name
Freddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

It's on my build but am wondering if it actually protects from rocks/mud being flung up? Or if its just more so for the step option? Just trying to decide if I need mud flaps or not (pavement princess).
Had them on a previous Bronco. Protection from debris is not their intended purpose, so they offer little to no protection.
Sponsored