Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Bugging out isn't my objective. I have a place to go in Colorado, but that's 700ish miles away and everyone is going to try to go all Red Dawn. Making it there is unlikely with a 16 gallon tank, even if you find fuel, stopping at a gas station is vulnerable, too many blind spots. If I even make it there, the place will already be occupied by some high school kids from the nearby town.

My main objective is getting home. Work is in DFW, actually in a fairly sensitive potential target area of DFW. Home is a small ranch with tight neighbors on a dead end road. It's 42 miles from work to my house. My current truck is setup with... backpacking/camping gear, rifle and chest rig (plates are dumb if I have to ruck the whole way), pistol is on me already. If I can't get home in the truck, I'll get there on foot. Bronco will be no different.

Moral of the story. Don't set up the vehicle, put the setup in the vehicle. That electronic lawn ornament is going nowhere in the event of an EMP.

tin foil hats off now.

tracythemighty

Base
First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco - Race Red Base w/Sas
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Bugging out isn't my objective. I have a place to go in Colorado, but that's 700ish miles away and everyone is going to try to go all Red Dawn. Making it there is unlikely with a 16 gallon tank, even if you find fuel, stopping at a gas station is vulnerable, too many blind spots. If I even make it there, the place will already be occupied by some high school kids from the nearby town.

My main objective is getting home. Work is in DFW, actually in a fairly sensitive potential target area of DFW. Home is a small ranch with tight neighbors on a dead end road. It's 42 miles from work to my house. My current truck is setup with... backpacking/camping gear, rifle and chest rig (plates are dumb if I have to ruck the whole way), pistol is on me already. If I can't get home in the truck, I'll get there on foot. Bronco will be no different.

Moral of the story. Don't set up the vehicle, put the setup in the vehicle. That electronic lawn ornament is going nowhere in the event of an EMP.

tin foil hats off now.
I've gone back and forth with the EMP thing. It would depend on where it would hit and where your vehicle was when it hit. Many cars/trucks could be just fine. Cars used to be more metal than plastic, so they would've been built in Faraday cages. I supposed someone could turn their garage into a giant Faraday cage... In any case, we don't know the future, so we don't know what to expect. It could be just as easily massive natural disasters instead of govt roundups or civil war. I don't expect my Bronco to magically save me from the apocalypse, but I am hoping it will get me to where I need to go...and I like how it looks, so... lol

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Didn't the road wash out again? That hillside is always coming down
Yep we did have a bridge washout on the farm. But we wrangled it out of the river yesterday and tomorrow I get to start deconstructing it to narrow it down to just a walking bridge then rebuild it and set it up as retractable. Living out in the jungle you learn how to make things work with what you got. 100% off grid life for me and my wife out here. We always plan for instability out here, its the only constant.

You make a good point about wild fires. I don't live out West, but you're right. Having tires that can take some punishment is important also when fleeing fires, as well as having and knowing how to use a tire plug kit.
I keep telling everyone they should get Super Swampers but no one listens. The only other tires stronger are skid steer or AG tires. I ran 15 year old TSLs with a 1 inch deep gash 25% around the circumference of the tire. I wheeled on those tires for 5 years till I sold em with my CJ5.
Not a daily driver but TOUGHER than nails.

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep we did have a bridge washout on the farm. But we wrangled it out of the river yesterday and tomorrow I get to start deconstructing it to narrow it down to just a walking bridge then rebuild it and set it up as retractable. Living out in the jungle you learn how to make things work with what you got. 100% off grid life for me and my wife out here. We always plan for instability out here, its the only constant.

I keep telling everyone they should get Super Swampers but no one listens. The only other tires stronger are skid steer or AG tires. I ran 15 year old TSLs with a 1 inch deep gash 25% around the circumference of the tire. I wheeled on those tires for 5 years till I sold em with my CJ5.
Not a daily driver but TOUGHER than nails.
But aren't they hard as hell and uncomfortable? I don't know personally, but you're right. West Coast folks should likely buy some and put on during fire season just like Yankees have to do winter tires.

Hey, all I want to know is that once vaccinated or whatever and this thing subsides, can the wife and I fly out and stay with you? :ROFLMAO: You're one of the best and funniest guys on here and it seems like hanging out with you in that jungle paradise and drinking beer and cocktails is the perfect antidote to the COVID blues!

Fly this way and we can BBQ, or camp, or drive to Tuscaloosa for a Bama game and some moonshine, BBQ is always in the picture there.

Good times! 😊

harpo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
not as many as I thought
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

tin foil hats off now.
Serious question.
Would any modern vehicle work after an emp?

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Serious question.
For sure.... as a trailer!

But aren't they hard as hell and uncomfortable? I don't know personally, but you're right. West Coast folks should likely buy some and put on during fire season just like Yankees have to do winter tires.

Hey, all I want to know is that once vaccinated or whatever and this thing subsides, can the wife and I fly out and stay with you? :ROFLMAO: You're one of the best and funniest guys on here and it seems like hanging out with you in that jungle paradise and drinking beer and cocktails is the perfect antidote to the COVID blues!

Fly this way and we can BBQ, or camp, or drive to Tuscaloosa for a Bama game and some moonshine, BBQ is always in the picture there.

Good times! 😊
There is a joke there but I aint touching it with a 10ft.... never mind :ROFLMAO:.

But sure come on by Twin Falls, 1 mile from home. I dont drink much but cook some damn good tri-tip. Our guest room is a roof top tent I have up on an old horse trailer I will one day build out for camping.

iamchewby

Badlands
First Name
Chewby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Serious question.
Oddly enough, most of them will. But there will still be a lot of disabled cars in the roadway, mix in traffic control during something crazy and everything is gridlocked.

Edit: there was an EMP commission that studied this and came out with this information "The ultimate result of automobile EMP exposure could be triggered crashes that damage many more vehicles than are damaged by the EMP, the consequent loss of life, and multiple injuries." Most vehicles that they tested that completely shut down were able to come to stop and werw then restarted by the driver. The newest vehicle they tested was a 2002, so really who knows, we're 20 years on with more advanced gas vehicles and we've added hybrid and electric. So even with the previous study it's kind of an unknown.

Last edited:

Sponsored

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

HAHA! You are to far away, never make it out of that huge ass state of yours! :)
Man, them Texans couldn't handle 6 inches of snow. No way any of them make it out of there! :ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness, think many now may have the motivation to actually start walking the walk on being prepared, buying good gear, and planning for contingencies.

Let's call that winter storm, the fires last year, and the pandemic a dry run.

Last edited:

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Let’s have some fun . . . what, exactly, is the difference between a typical Bugout vehicle and a typical Overland vehicle? Asking for a friend. He’s such a damn troll (has his own bridge, and everything.

Me? I suspect I’m boiling the water out of my swimming pool till the usable fuel for fire is gone. At some point before that the situation will likely have repaired itself, or not . . . In the mean time, I’m not hungry or without shelter. The only real problem is my field of fire sucks from where I’m at.
Sponsored