Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands Squach 2D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Moving to Phoenix AZ within a month or so - question, which is a better option … bumper mounted winch or a few Baja Design LP6 lights up front …. Prior to this AZ promotion I was set on a winch for East Coast wheeling but now lights might be more important for AZ wheeling ?? What say ye ??
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well that's simple...you must have both.

OP
OP
WR1

WR1

Badlands
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands Squach 2D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you had to pick only one … which would it be :)

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For me a winch makes more sense.

OP
OP
WR1

WR1

Badlands
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands Squach 2D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks … dumb question about winch in AZ … mind you I’ve never really been there hence the question …. What is used as anchors??? From pictures seems like there are no trees around ??

Sponsored

2022 base

Base
First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Chevy, 2004 Cooper S
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thanks … dumb question about winch in AZ … mind you I’ve never really been there hence the question …. What is used as anchors??? From pictures seems like there are no trees around ??
Loads of rocks! In the correct place if your lucky...Trees are up north!

Baja Designs

Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Moving to Phoenix AZ within a month or so - question, which is a better option … bumper mounted winch or a few Baja Design LP6 lights up front …. Prior to this AZ promotion I was set on a winch for East Coast wheeling but now lights might be more important for AZ wheeling ?? What say ye ??
Ford Bronco Arizona Question rig setup 1705612627474

Both would be a great option. Some parts of AZ can be very isolated and having a good pair of lights can be very beneficial. If you decide you want to go with a winch you can go with either a A-pillar light kit or a Fog light kit. We have a variety of options that will allow you to do both 👍 I am a Baja Designs rep here on the forums so feel free to let me know if you have any questions on lighting setup. Baja Designs plug-and-play kits.
Best,

Brahian Herrera | Forum Sales & Support
Email: [email protected] | Phone: (760) 560-2252 Ext 201

SafariJeff

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Defender / 2000 Discovery / 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I am in the Nevada desert and lights are great at night, but 90% of my off-road is during the day so winch and sand anchor (added some pictures below) are key since as stated above, no trees out here. On the other hand, I have the lights too, more for spotting dear running close to the road or right cross the road at highway speeds on the backroads. So, tough call, but once you get stuck in soft sand, you should already be aired down, so having to walk hours out of a place, if you are not on buddy system, and have someone come tow you a few feet out of the sand really sucks.

th-3681385202.jpeg

th-3319560230.jpeg

th-1335606606.jpeg

th-3841531262.jpeg

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
YouTube videos of "Back way to Crown King" then decide.

JONNEE

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Tahoe, 2000 Yukon XL, 1993 Suburban, all 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If you had to pick only one … which would it be :)
I live in Phoenix, and have been exploring mostly solo mountains and deserts throughout the southwest. Far off-pavement. Like 60-70 miles.
I have a hand winch (come-along). I like good lighting. Lighting is my first choice.

Sponsored
OP
OP
WR1

WR1

Badlands
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Badlands Squach 2D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Have you recovered with a hand winch ?? Do they actually work … never used one.

Shifts And Grins Fab

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
shiftsandgrinsfabrication.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2022 Bronco Wildtrak Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went light option first because I’m a Diode Dynamics Dealer. That being said, if I had to pick only one, I’d probably recommend winch. I’ve only needed a winch once and that was in Colorado. Both are useful but it’s probably easier to get by with factory lights at night than it is trying to recover your vehicle with no winch.
All of this also depends on the type of wheeling you do too. Most of mine is done in the day. Dust is also a huge consideration here in AZ. The wrong light setup will do more harm than good. When you’re ready to do lights, no matter if you decide to get Diode Dynamics through us or go a completely different route, I’d love to help guide your setup so only spend the money once. I’ve done testing with Diode Dynamics on different setups at King of the Hammers and can help guide you a bit.
Our Bronco part offerings can be found here.
https://www.shiftsandgrinsfabrication.com/shop/ford-bronco/8

JONNEE

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I am in the Nevada desert and lights are great at night, but 90% of my off-road is during the day so winch and sand anchor (added some pictures below) are key since as stated above, no trees out here. On the other hand, I have the lights too, more for spotting dear running close to the road or right cross the road at highway speeds on the backroads. So, tough call, but once you get stuck in soft sand, you should already be aired down, so having to walk hours out of a place, if you are not on buddy system, and have someone come tow you a few feet out of the sand really sucks.

Ford Bronco Arizona Question rig setup th-3841531262

Fair points.
I've never used an anchor like you show, that seems like a terrific tool. I have only gotten stuck once in my life where I had to be pulled out by a good sam, but that was a looooooooong time ago before i had 4WD vehicles.
In fact, I was doing off road exploring in a 2WD truck initially, and learned a lot of lessons that stick firmly in my head :eek: :rolleyes:
With now 30 y of 4wd trucks, I have taken on some (to me) heinous routes, especially in the Arizona strip or in SE Utah, following what seem to be goat trails in the bottom of washes cut a thousand feet deep... When I know that the nearest town is 3 hours away with the vehicle intact, and my ham radio gear is the only lifeline I have, that's pretty sobering!
Cheers - Jon

Canyon Coolers

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
canyoncoolers.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco, Dodge 2500, Sprinter Van
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

There is all kinds of terrain out here. So your preferences of terrain matters. You can go to wide open desert and scoot fast, or box canyon's and rocks. There are very active off road clubs here for Bronco's and everyone else.

Rigid, KC, and Nacho offroad lights are all native to Arizona, which is its own plus. If your more of a rock crawler maybe go winch, but around Northern Arizona the ditch lights are nice for spotting elk, deer, coyote, and javelina.

JONNEE

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

You might be amazed at what the humble mesquite or creosote bush can do for you. Bring lots of nylon pull line like this.
Ford Bronco Arizona Question rig setup 1705680864063

It's cheap, lightweight, packs tight, can be sacrificed if necessary, and extends any winch's reach, whether hand powered or electric powered.
Good luck!
Cheers - Jon
Sponsored