Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Today was a beautiful day to go wheeling. The sun was out, the sky was clear, and the temperature was perfect (mid-50s). Couldn’t wait to get to the trail. 😎

Ford Bronco Arkansas Bronco Owners 4BC9B973-EA07-4A68-AE52-BE20128653E9

@kodiakisland was driving the other Bronco, and @Ragtop1962 was his passenger. @kodiakisland’s Bronco was topless, and my Bronco had the soft top half open.

I didn’t take many photos today, because the trail was longer, narrower, more off-camber, and more challenging than on our last venture together. Tight, low-hanging Kamikaze branches gave their best effort to die a glorious death while taking me out at the same time. Seriously, my left arm was a virtual limb riser for half of the trail, just protecting myself from a sharp stick in the eye.

You can’t really tell from the few photos that I snapped, but at one point, the roll meter on the Off-Road menu in the Instrument Panel measured 22 degrees, and about 15 minutes later, I was halted dead in my tracks by a 1-1/2” thick bow branch that easily skimmed over the A-pillar and the windshield frame, but got caught in the soft top mechanism right at the fold point about 2 feet behind my head. Fortunately, I was only going about 3 mph, so no damage occurred, but I had to get out and delicately extricate the branch before I could move forward again.

Ford Bronco Arkansas Bronco Owners 5BB3480A-89A8-4E0B-8168-E247F52E3A1E
Ford Bronco Arkansas Bronco Owners E13FA06A-A7EA-4070-AFE7-D076BF20FE71

Each of the drivers skipped a few of the more treacherous mud holes today, choosing discretion over valor and taking the optional bypasses.

@Ragtop1962 drove the 2D Bronco half way down the trail to get a taste for what he hopes to experience when his own Black Diamond 2D gets released from Ford’s inventory storage mountain du jour. He had a blast, but at the end of the day, left a little depressed wanting his own vehicle even more, having tasted the thrill personally.

I spent most of the day in 4L with the Stabilizer Bar Disconnect (SBD) and Trail Turn Assist (TTA) buttons both activated. I only engaged one of the lockers a few times, and only once did I need both lockers engaged to get out of a deeper mud hole.

One thing that I accidentally discovered was that TTA can run silently in the background and only kick in when needed (i.e., when the steering wheel approaches full lock). At one very narrow turn, @Ragtop1962 was driving the 2D and did a 3-point turn around some tight trees, but my 4D with the TTA activated just scooted through without having to stop and reverse to get a better approach angle. I don’t know who was more shocked… me or my buddies in the 2D. :eek: Needless to say, some good natured shit-talking commenced! (“@Ragtop1962 was just being conservative, since he was driving my rig!!!” Blah blah blah…) 😂;)

Seriously, though, running in 4L with the TTA silently engaged in the background and only activating when needed felt like being strapped with a CCW — almost an unfair advantage over the manual transmission :oops: — but it definitely made the 4D almost equal in maneuverability to the shorter wheelbase of the 2D. That was a real gem of a discovery! :geek:

After we finished the trail, we headed over to beautiful Devil’s Den State Park — the origin and location for the storyline in True Detective (Season 3), where many of the scenes were filmed — to enjoy the scenery and snap some photos.

Ford Bronco Arkansas Bronco Owners DCFFD03C-F356-4845-8BBF-349D37824472
Ford Bronco Arkansas Bronco Owners ED25EB3E-A5CB-437B-AD70-5D99A76FBBF8
Ford Bronco Arkansas Bronco Owners 3F98AB1B-C569-4C0A-ABD0-C434F60D1233
Ford Bronco Arkansas Bronco Owners 9FAFC160-D7A0-4712-AF72-54F71934B193

Obviously, we also took some time to look over the vehicles, examine new gear and mods, and swap war stories amongst friends after a long, fun ride.

The two Broncos were tired and muddy after being ridden hard and put up wet…

Ford Bronco Arkansas Bronco Owners B1AF36F0-5DD6-4E6C-9B4B-A162BE41FDFC
Ford Bronco Arkansas Bronco Owners EDFE7927-BD55-4269-BE8E-D106A781C1F3
Ford Bronco Arkansas Bronco Owners 2CBFFC43-A0D7-41B2-95C7-FDFEE4E2393E

3 of my wheels suffered a little rock rash, but 1 escaped unharmed…

Ford Bronco Arkansas Bronco Owners 8A2B7501-1CF7-4061-BFF6-C6F115EAD515
Ford Bronco Arkansas Bronco Owners 832709C1-4885-44B5-962F-BBD7DC9E1E15
Ford Bronco Arkansas Bronco Owners 4DB2EE21-0F1B-42D9-9885-8F03400135D6

No biggie. Beauty rings will soon be replaced with beadlock rings, and this look will become commonplace.

A fitting christening for such a fun trail, and the end of a very good day! 😎
Sponsored

Last edited:

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'd say more rock than mud on this trip, although Ragtop was surprised the first mudhole he hit was over the bumper and one of the rare bypasses would have required at least 38s. Was a fun day. The trails are close to Devils Den and would probably make a good meeting spot for those from Ft Smith who want to come up in the future. There's a few more trails that were still a bit too wet to venture on but will certainly be doable when we go a week without rain.

And as far as those tight turns, yeah, I guess that trail turn assist is cool, but as Ragtop saw, I don't mind rubbing. Once I get proper sliders and can pivot with them, it will get interesting.

Ragtop1962

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Toyota Sequoia
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Thank you, @Razorbak86 and @kodiakisland, for allowing me to tag along. I was so grateful to experience the capability of the new Bronco. My build is the same as @kodiakisland. So now I know how mine will handle the trails and the road. I really had a blast. Can't wait!

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Is it too early to plan an April get together? Would love to have some other Broncos join up. Anyone have dates that works for them in April to either meet up for lunch or get in some trails?

Hossamus Prime

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
21 BadSquatch,‘21 ExplorerST , RIP 84 & 90 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is it too early to plan an April get together? Would love to have some other Broncos join up. Anyone have dates that works for them in April to either meet up for lunch or get in some trails?
this maybe??

Ford Bronco Arkansas Bronco Owners BCF085F2-EA2D-400B-949F-77A9BE98EEBB

Sponsored

bigburchlpn

Base
First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4D Base Sasquatch, 2.3I. Bummin’ Rides for now.
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Your UofA seems to be the wrong color for living in NWA ;)

I'm in NWA too for a few more years until I retire. Then hopefully a cabin on Bull Shoals.
Bull Shoals is the bee's knee's my friend. I hopefully follow those foot steps!

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Chevy Silverado Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi all. My name is Josh, my father retired as a ford mechanic from Mclarty Ford in Bentonville and finally another ford worth owning. My first one is a 1969 Mustang...been all chevy since. I have a 2022 Badlands 2door with 7sp in Cactus Gray ordered. I will say those of you that have yours I don't know how you were so patient lol. In the mean time don't mind me while I try to do the same.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Welcome, Josh. (y)

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi all. My name is Josh, my father retired as a ford mechanic from Mclarty Ford in Bentonville and finally another ford worth owning. My first one is a 1969 Mustang...been all chevy since. I have a 2022 Badlands 2door with 7sp in Cactus Gray ordered. I will say those of you that have yours I don't know how you were so patient lol. In the mean time don't mind me while I try to do the same.

Welcome! Hope your wait won't be too long.

What type of gunsmithing do you do? I'm partial to custom rifles with cut rifled barrels. All my previous barrels came from Boots Obermeyer or one of his apprentices. Unfortunately there aren't many of those guys working any more. I guess we are all getting a bit long in the tooth.
Tend to like Linebaugh and Bowen single actions as well, although my Freedom Arms are really nice right out of the box.

Last edited:
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Chevy Silverado Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Welcome! Hope your wait won't be too long.

What type of gunsmithing do you do? I'm partial to custom rifles with cut rifled barrels. All my previous barrels came from Boots Obermeyer or one of his apprentices. Unfortunately there aren't many of those guys working any more. I guess we are all getting a bit long in the tooth.
Tend to like Linebaugh and Bowen single actions as well, although my Freedom Arms are really nice right out of the box.
Hey I am a master pistolsmith but do a little bit of all of it. I own a small gunshop in Gravette, AR. We are an 07 Manufacturer and do a lot of custom type work. I build AK-47's, 1911's, and then Glock style and ar's but who doesn't build those now days lol. I have an old Bridgeport Mill and a pretty big Jett Lathe as well as a bunch of other tools and stuff. If you are ever in the NW AR area come check it out. xbonesrisingllc.com

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hey I am a master pistolsmith but do a little bit of all of it. I own a small gunshop in Gravette, AR. We are an 07 Manufacturer and do a lot of custom type work. I build AK-47's, 1911's, and then Glock style and ar's but who doesn't build those now days lol. I have an old Bridgeport Mill and a pretty big Jett Lathe as well as a bunch of other tools and stuff. If you are ever in the NW AR area come check it out. xbonesrisingllc.com

Cool! I'll definitely make a point of stopping in. I love 1911s and have a few Colt custom shop models, but always on the lookout for something new. I'm actually in Gravette a lot, but in a yellow super cub on the airstrip by the high school.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Anyone in the NWA area who needs a hitch for bike rack, etc., I have one from BAMF you can have. It was one of the early production models that some hitches are not long enough to fit, although all three hitches I have fit it fine. You will not be able to complain to BAMF if your hitch is too short as they know who they gave them to and replaced all for free, so just make sure it works with whatever you plan to put in it.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Saw a gray/silver 4 door at Byrds this morning, Friday 3/25. Anyone on here?

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK, 2000 Ram 2500, 1993 FZJ80, 1994 FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would love to see some Broncos down at Hot Spring Off-road Park. I currently help do their paid trail guides for trucks and UTVs when they are overbooked. I have been going there for quite some time now and am very familiar with the trail system. It is a very safe place to learn your vehicle's capabilities. You pick the weekend and I will take you out for as long as you like. Just let me know. As soon as I get my Bronco, look for regular scheduled trips there. I currently have a 1993 Land Cruiser and a 2011 Wrangler so we can go even before my Bronco arrives.

Also, I am the current president of Arkansas Crawlers 4x4 Club. We were once quite the large club but many members got really hard core into building rigs. A lot of the members were intimidated by this and left. Then most of those hard core wheelers stopped off-roading. I've kept the name alive and I am looking for those that want to #1, hit some trails, and #2, have a good time with your vehicle.

https://www.facebook.com/arkansascrawlers

Last edited:

cyberfalco

Badlands
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 JK, 2000 Ram 2500, 1993 FZJ80, 1994 FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would love to see some Broncos down at Hot Spring Off-road Park. I currently help do their paid trail guides for trucks and UTVs when they are overbooked. I have been going there for quite some time now and am very familiar with the trail system. It is a very safe place to learn your vehicle's capabilities. You pick the weekend and I will take you out for as long as you like. Just let me know. As soon as I get my Bronco, look for regular scheduled trips there. I currently have a 1993 Land Cruiser and a 2011 Wrangler so we can go even before my Bronco arrives.

Also, I am the current president of Arkansas Crawlers 4x4 Club. We were once quite the large club but many members got really hard core into building rigs. A lot of the members were intimidated by this and left. Then most of those hard core wheelers stopped off-loading. I've kept the name alive and I am looking for those that want to #1, hit some trails, and #2, have a good time with your vehicle.

https://www.facebook.com/arkansascrawlers
I invite all makes/models of vehicles off-road. Just a few weeks ago I lead a brand new Chevy Colorado and a 2005 Xterra. We had a blast.
Sponsored