Sponsored

Auto Transmission/Oil sounds “sloshy” at low temps. Is this normal?

EazyCheezy

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Please let me know if I’m being paranoid. My auto BD (1400 miles) 2.3L transmission oil sounds what can only be described as “sloshy” when I accelerate right after I start the car. Once it heats up to about 160F-180F the noise goes away. Am I right to assume this is just from the viscosity changing as it heats?

Also, when I first start the car and shift into reverse it makes a noticeable clunk. Again, after the oil heats, it’s fine. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Please let me know if I’m being paranoid. My auto BD (1400 miles) 2.3L transmission oil sounds what can only be described as “sloshy” when I accelerate right after I start the car. Once it heats up to about 160F-180F the noise goes away. Am I right to assume this is just from the viscosity changing as it heats?

Also, when I first start the car and shift into reverse it makes a noticeable clunk. Again, after the oil heats, it’s fine. Thanks in advance.
Well that is horrible for the car to do mild to hard accelerations right off of a cold start, since the engine doesn't have enough time to get to operating temperature. If it is slow soft accelerations to barely get the vehicle up to speed, than you should take it to a dealer for warranty work. Either way I would take it to a dealer for warranty work. That's what it's there for.

OP
OP
EazyCheezy

EazyCheezy

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well that is horrible for the car to do mild to hard accelerations right off of a cold start, since the engine doesn't have enough time to get to operating temperature. If it is slow soft accelerations to barely get the vehicle up to speed, than you should take it to a dealer for warranty work. Either way I would take it to a dealer for warranty work. That's what it's there for.
Sorry let me clarify that I'm not dogging it right after start. I do let it warm up a bit and even on soft accelerations it does it.

2020FordRaptor

Wildtrak
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Sorry let me clarify that I'm not dogging it right after start. I do let it warm up a bit and even on soft accelerations it does it.
Okay. Thanks for the clarification. I would take it to your dealer to have them check it out under warranty. That's what warranty is for and the last thing that needs to happen to you is for your tranny to go out after warranty. Nots saying that would happen I just would simply take it to the dealer for warranty work.

M4Madness

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Serious question: How do you know that you are hearing transmission fluid sloshing around?

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Hey there! I can look into your Bronco’s noise concerns on my end if you’d like. Will you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership info?

66Fan

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Serious question: How do you know that you are hearing transmission fluid sloshing around?
I agree... The transmission fluid is usually behind an inch or two of aluminum and under high pressure. We can speculate all day, but I'd doubt that is it.
Another serious possibility is low coolant, or air trapped in the heater core. Each of those would present a gurgling sound in the firewall area prior to reaching normal operating temperature.
Again... all pure speculation.

The service department is typically far better at diagnosis than the internet.

The internet is usually best suited for law and foreign policy expertise.

OP
OP
EazyCheezy

EazyCheezy

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I agree... The transmission fluid is usually behind an inch or two of aluminum and under high pressure. We can speculate all day, but I'd doubt that is it.
Another serious possibility is low coolant, or air trapped in the heater core. Each of those would present a gurgling sound in the firewall area prior to reaching normal operating temperature.
Again... all pure speculation.

The service department is typically far better at diagnosis than the internet.

The internet is usually best suited for law and foreign policy expertise.
yeah I’m just going to take it in.
Sponsored