Teghogh

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Below is my comparison of the two models After driving the 2.3L MT badlands for almost a year and having driven the raptor for the last 2 weeks

Engine: although badlands 4 cylinder is significantly down on power compared with the raptor, it is by no means slow, feels peppy and never left me wanting for more power. On the other hand Iā€™m somewhat disappointed by raptor acceleration at this price point, given that it shares the same engine with the f-150 raptor.

Transmission: raptors 10speeds transmission is quick, and manual snappy shifts are awesome but the sheer number of gears to choose from doesnā€™t make it fun in city driving in manual application.

Sound: raptor sounds very much like the f150 raptor. Much sportier than the badlands

Driving dynamics: this is where the raptor Truly shines even in street driving. The truck feels planted, even in relatively high speed corners. The same bumps that upset the badlands are barely noticeable on the raptor. Pushing the truck in corners is fun and confidence inspiring. The badlands drives similar to a Jeep wrangler where as the bronco has a much more plush ride when needed and controlled dynamics through the corners. Driving comfort is easily on par with ā€œnormalā€ SUVs in daily application.

Mpg: same driver, same route, badlands on 35s, and raptor on 37s.
Badlands averaged 14.5 mpg
Raptor 13.5 mpg.

Interior design: raptor leather seats, dash stitching, gauge cluster, in my opinion are suited for a vehicle at this price point. The fit and finish is comparable to my wifeā€™s Audi etron gt, and Atleast ro my eyes it looks fantastic. On the other hand, any other trim bronco interior is down right terrible. The guage cluster lesser trims is awful, the seats in wildtrackā€¦. Loss for wordsā€¦ The interior on its own is atleast worth 10k-15k. upgrade. I canā€™t fathom how ford got this so wrong. Wrangler rubicon interior fit and finish is awesome and exciting area to spend time in where as you canā€™t wait to get out of the bronco, look at the exterior and remind yourself of why you chose to buy this truck.

Exterior design: Slight edge to the raptor. Both models look good. I was somewhat shocked when my coworkers didnot even notice it is a different truck, where as to us enthusiasts the differences are glaringly obvious.

Value: hands down Badlands. My Badlands MSRP was 48k. The bronco MSRP is exactly double at 96k. It is easily worth 20-25k more ( close to original msrp) but is significantly overpriced at this price point. Shock and disbelief is the common reaction of bystanders when they inquire about price.

Final thoughts: Bronco raptor is no doubt a special vehicle. With that said there is absolutely no reason for it to commands a 6 figure price tag without some version of v8 like the raptor R. A 5.0 cayote engine would have been superb and worth the money at this price point.

I believe the 37 tires are too big for this vehicle. I would have been happier with 35s on city driving, better gas mileage, quicker acceleration etc

Ford redesigned most body panels for raptor trim and I wish they didnā€™t stop at the removable top. I donā€™t think a raptor needs a removable top. A solid welded to chassis top not only would have looked more unique and purpose built, but it would have solved the major gripe with every bronco that is wind noise

Ford Bronco Badlands to Bronco Raptor review IMG_3068

Ford Bronco Badlands to Bronco Raptor review IMG_3069

Ford Bronco Badlands to Bronco Raptor review IMG_3067

Ford Bronco Badlands to Bronco Raptor review IMG_3066

Ford Bronco Badlands to Bronco Raptor review IMG_3071
Sponsored

Last edited:

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The badlands drives similar to a Jeep wrangler ...
A Badlands drives like a Jeep??? Only time I've had the "clutched steering wheel of death" with my BL is when I replaced the steering rack and drove 250 miles way out of alignment. My 95 Jeep? Almost every time I drove it. I've never darted over 1/3 lane on a ripple in the road, or had a semi trailer blow me off the freeway, or not been able to go over 60mph. Everyone who drives it says how much it drives like a car.

Sorry, I get almost all your other points (good write up), but this one I was wa-huh! lol

OP
OP

Teghogh

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A Badlands drives like a Jeep??? Only time I've had the "clutched steering wheel of death" with my BL is when I replaced the steering rack and drove 250 miles way out of alignment. My 95 Jeep? Almost every time I drove it. I've never darted over 1/3 lane on a ripple in the road, or had a semi trailer blow me off the freeway, or not been able to go over 60mph. Everyone who drives it says how much it drives like a car.

Sorry, I get almost all your other points (good write up), but this one I was wa-huh! lol
Not talking about a 94 jeepo but Jl model drives very similar to bronco. Iā€™d say bronco is ~10-15% better but my wife hates driving in both šŸ˜‚

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I canā€™t say the Raptor interior is that special. Except for a few coverings itā€™s mostly the same plastic throughout. Seat coverings are easily changed. Not that MGV is bad. Love mine. Otherwise good write up.

DillonC

Raptor
First Name
Dillon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 f250, 2019 expedition
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Iā€™m somewhat disappointed by raptor acceleration at this price point, given that it shares the same engine with the f-150 raptor.
They don't share the same engine. The f150 has the 3.5l and the bronco has a 3.0l

Ford redesigned most body panels for raptor trim and I wish they didnā€™t stop at the removable top. I donā€™t think a raptor needs a removable top. A solid welded to chassis top not only would have looked more unique and purpose built, but it would have solved the major gripe with every bronco that is wind noise
Couldn't agree less with that. The removable top is a huge selling point for the bronco period. If I wanted a sealed cab I'd just have gotten an f150 raptor.

Sponsored

jwysopal

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just to clarify for you, the Bronco Raptor does NOT share the same engine as the F-150 Raptor. āœŒ

Tabman10

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sorry to be anal, but the BRaptor doesn't share it's engine or trans with the F150 Raptor. Without needing the necessary weak-tranny protections in place, there is a huge difference in performance - more than it looks like on paper. Also, keep in mind that BRaptor was originally designed/planned to have a mid-70's-80's price - under that of the F150. Ford raised the price instead of letting dealers mark it up as much, but there are way too many compromises at a six-figure price point.

OP
OP

Teghogh

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They don't share the same engine. The f150 has the 3.5l and the bronco has a 3.0l

Couldn't agree less with that. The removable top is a huge selling point for the bronco period. If I wanted a sealed cab I'd just have gotten an f150 raptor.
Bronco I agree. Bronco raptor I donā€™t think so. Body rigidity is the number one priority for performance vehicles specially one that is supposed to go 70mph offroad. Thatā€™s why you donā€™t see convertible versions of 911 gt3 , and z06, Atleast up to c7 version. I live in SoCal where you could technically ride topless for 6 months a year. But even here it gets down to low 60s at night which makes driving uncomfortable. This hardtop is not made to be taken on and off frequently. And the damn raptor sits so high that makes removal and reinstall of the top more difficult.

Bschurr

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Braptor / 2023 Heritage LE / 2016 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I recently picked up a Braptor to compliment my Badlands and the 2 are quite different and very similar both at the same time. The most notable difference is the dash & configurable steering, suspension & exhaust on the Raptor. The next most obvious is the additional girth. I havenā€™t wheeled the Raptor yet but in the NY Metro area, trails are tight and Raptors will struggle in narrow areas that my Badlands was barely able to squeeze through.
Ford Bronco Badlands to Bronco Raptor review IMG_5014

DemonGT

Heritage
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
I thought anything with the Raptor name was built for off-road "racing", and the badlands was made or "off roading".

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought anything with the Raptor name was built for off-road "racing", and the badlands was made or "off roading".
The Raptor is built for impressing your friends on the way to the mall, the Badlands for Christmas shopping at the mall.

Just sayin'. šŸ˜…

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
OP: Have you done aggressive off roading in BOTH rigs? If not then sorry but your evaluation isn't valuable to me.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No Iā€™m not as cool as the rest of you. Wont aggressively off-road a 100k vehicle
Whenever I get the "but do you go mudding?!?" (the favorite way to destroy your rig in these parts), I usually say, Sure! Where's your keys? lol

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
No Iā€™m not as cool as the rest of you. Wont aggressively off-road a 100k vehicle
It's not a matter of being "cool". It's just that both vehicles are very specifically designed for off roading prowess, the Raptor obsessively so. It's very tough to damage these vehicles off road, even cosmetically, given a modest paint protection film application. It seems wasteful to not use such vehicles in the way they've been designed. It's the same observation that not exercising a capable sports car (in corners and not just occasional stop light exhibitions) seems to be a waste of money.

There are a lot of folks here on the form who do moderate to aggressive off roading. This contingent wants to hear about these capabilities especially when comparing trims driven by the same person and hopefully on the same trails.

Enjoy your cool rigs however you use them. Get out and try some trails, you could get hooked quickly and realize the unreal potential in your quiver.
Sponsored