Sponsored

Base Audio System Upgrade - Amp Configuration?

fraglgr

Base
First Name
Drake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hey Y'alls,

So while I'm waiting for my Bronco to come in I'm planning out the audio upgrade for the base system but I'm not sure which route I should go for the amp configuration.

So far I'm planning on Polk DB402's for the dash/rear speakers and Polk DB6502 component woofers for the kick panels. As far as a sub goes I'm not too concerned with it right off the bat, but I do have a JL powered sub in another car already that I'm planning to wire in at some point so for the amp(s) I'm only concerned about the 6 main speakers.

Since the 4" speakers have different RMS ratings from the woofers (45w vs 100w) I'm trying to decide between going with 2 4-channel 50wpc amps and use one for each of the 4" speakers individually but bridge 2 channels on the second amp for each of the woofers, or getting one single 4-channel amp with 75-100wpc, using 2 channels for the woofers, but splitting the other 2 channels between the 4 4" speakers so they're not getting too much power.

Are there any downsides with going for the single amp option aside from the fader not working quite right? Or would that be an okay compromise to save a bit of money on the upgrade?

Thanks a bunch, I appreciate it!
Sponsored

cmcbronco

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 f-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
I dont know if you’ve seen This thread yet but I’d highly recommend the kicker key set up from plug n play.
i have kicker ks for all my 4” (75 watts rms) and Memphis audio mjp6 for my kick panels (125 watts rms) and it sounds great. One amp and built in dsp you really can’t go wrong.
also if you’re thinking about a sub the kicker key 500.1 is a great amp as well.Here’s my thread on adding a sub using the B&O sub enclosure but putting your own box in the back would be an option as well.

DJ1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am by no means a car audio expert, but for me, it comes down to what you want to achieve and then build your system to suit your requirements. It sounds like you want to run 6 amplified channels to the 4 front speakers and 2 rear speakers. I wouldn't worry too much about the power ratings for the speakers you chose. If you must have the Polk speakers you listed, I would think that the 6.5s are efficient enough that 50W will drive them just fine.

If it was me, I would just go with a good 6-channel amp for simplicity and space. If you want to add a mono amp for a sub later, easy to do that. I know the Kicker Key amps are popular with a lot of people on this forum. With the base system, some type of DSP will give a lot of benefit to help correct the factory signal inadequacies.

If you are curious, here are the components I chose after a lot of thinking about my requirements:

Ford Bronco Base Audio System Upgrade - Amp Configuration? IMG_2776

I am going to run 5 channels with a integrated DSP for simplicity, power and sound quality. The Morels will replace the factory 4" and 6.5" in the front and the kicker 4" are just for some fill in the back. 12" sub for the lows. Hope this helps.

hozer

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I am by no means a car audio expert, but for me, it comes down to what you want to achieve and then build your system to suit your requirements. It sounds like you want to run 6 amplified channels to the 4 front speakers and 2 rear speakers. I wouldn't worry too much about the power ratings for the speakers you chose. If you must have the Polk speakers you listed, I would think that the 6.5s are efficient enough that 50W will drive them just fine.

If it was me, I would just go with a good 6-channel amp for simplicity and space. If you want to add a mono amp for a sub later, easy to do that. I know the Kicker Key amps are popular with a lot of people on this forum. With the base system, some type of DSP will give a lot of benefit to help correct the factory signal inadequacies.

If you are curious, here are the components I chose after a lot of thinking about my requirements:

Ford Bronco Base Audio System Upgrade - Amp Configuration? IMG_2776

I am going to run 5 channels with a integrated DSP for simplicity, power and sound quality. The Morels will replace the factory 4" and 6.5" in the front and the kicker 4" are just for some fill in the back. 12" sub for the lows. Hope this helps.

I wanted that same amp but thought it a bit overkill. How is it?

DJ1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I wanted that same amp but thought it a bit overkill. How is it?
I'll do a write up once I have time to get it installed. It met my 2 requirements - DSP (to correct the factory signal, control crossovers, time alignment, custom program different profiles, etc.) and enough power to still have good sound with the top down at highway speed.

Overkill? Maybe, but I'd rather turn things down and have it operating at less than max capacity instead of pushing a smaller amp to its max all the time.

OP
OP

fraglgr

Base
First Name
Drake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Your Bronco Model
Base

IMG_2776.jpg

Awesome, thanks a bunch for that!

Yeah they're pretty efficient so 50w should be fine. I do have that sub I can wire in later but it's already got the amp built in so I would only need to wire for power and audio inputs. I don't want to overdrive the smaller speakers too bad so I'll probably look for a decent 6-channel amp that puts out ~50-75 watts per channel and see if that'll work for what I want.
Sponsored