First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I put the Diode Dynamics s3 pro combo on my a-pillars. Mostly aimed forward. There are always deer in my neighborhood, which has a lot of curvy hilly roads (Carefree foothills). I actually get the most use of them driving home in the dark. Really helps to see what's about to jump out in front of me!

Great for the trail at night was well. They are so bright, I'm not even sure I'll add more ligting (oh, who am I kidding? Of course I'll add more, because I can and my night vision sucks!)
Sponsored

OP
OP
los7883

los7883

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I put the Diode Dynamics s3 pro combo on my a-pillars. Mostly aimed forward. There are always deer in my neighborhood, which has a lot of curvy hilly roads (Carefree foothills). I actually get the most use of them driving home in the dark. Really helps to see what's about to jump out in front of me!

Great for the trail at night was well. They are so bright, I'm not even sure I'll add more ligting (oh, who am I kidding? Of course I'll add more, because I can and my night vision sucks!)
Could you take a pic at night? I’d like to see how you have them aimed and the how much light it throws to the sides.

MillerAndCheeto

Wildtrak
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Cyber Orange Wildtrak Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have the driver combo with wide/Spot like you're mentioning.

The wide is nice as it hits up the whole area in front of you and a bit to the side. I have mine angled out just enough that the spots are just outside of touching their beams at the end.
Yea and I guess its just all personal preference too. I want to get a flood because I truly want it angled off into the ditches but worry it won't throw enough light to the side. Driving up in Oklahoma this past December I almost hit a deer just hanging out on the side of the road. Luckily i saw him and was able to brake hard enough to avoid him but had that area been lit up I would have seen him sooner. Which power level did you go with?
If you're worried about "enough" lights, then I have a suggestion for you. I was also worried so I just went baIls-out and got the Baja XL80's. Jeepers. They throw ENOUGH light let me tell you. Turns the first 100 feet of whatever you're looking into daylight, and from 200-300 feet into "wow that's really bright" and then with the spots from the combo pattern out to 600 feet being like "Dang, I can still see that far!!". I'm still surprised every time I turn them on how good they are.

Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I went with flood and the front of the light is parallel with the front side of the mirror mount. So they point to the side at an angle. I want to light up the sides of the vehicle and they do exactly that.

I would never use them in traffic.

OP
OP
los7883

los7883

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I went with flood and the front of the light is parallel with the front side of the mirror mount. So they point to the side at an angle. I want to light up the sides of the vehicle and they do exactly that.

I would never use them in traffic.
And that’s what I was leaning towards but seems like everyone was doing the combos. Grrr decisions decisions! I even thought about running dual SS3s so I could run both floods and combos on the a-pillar

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And that’s what I was leaning towards but seems like everyone was doing the combos. Grrr decisions decisions! I even thought about running dual SS3s so I could run both floods and combos on the a-pillar
You do know the motto of this forum? Excess is best!

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Diode dynamics SS3 Pro combos here and couldn't be happier. Wide beam patter up close with enough throw to reach out about as far as my headlights.
20230401_203914.jpg
IMHO It is all about the entire system versus an individual set of lights...for example, If you have a well set up front bumper set of lights then you shouldn't need any more forward light throw...and then your ditch lights can point out farther toward ditches. I found that if you angle your ditch lights even a smidge too far forward, then you will absolutely get hood or fender reflection...and any light that's reflecting or shining where it shouldn't be can reduce your night vision. I believe that dimmer well placed lights could easily be more functional than crazy bright poorly placed or redundant lights. I recommend giving the guys a call at whatever brand you support, tell them exactly what you're hoping to do, and they will give you very useful information regarding what specific setup may suit your desires. It can also save some embarrassment...there were some folks bashing diode dynamics fog light pattern not realizing that they installed them upside down, and the fog lights have a very specific orientation because the pattern is so specific. A quick discussion with the tech would have solved that issue. It is also more efficient to stick with a single brand because many of the manufacturers aren't going to be able to tell you things about other brands that are going to be nearly as accurate as they are about things about their own brand (or how the brands do or don't play well together). Just my 2 cents. There are a lot of people out there with really excessive/expensive lights on their rigs that just end up being super bright and impressive in a show and tell kind of way but not in a real world application. There are also a bunch of folks who have lights and who then find out by speaking with other people who have really well placed lights that they spent a lot of money on the wrong lights. As we all know price tags can quickly add up to epic proportions...

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
los7883

los7883

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

IMHO It is all about the entire system versus an individual set of lights...for example, If you have a well set up front bumper set of lights then you shouldn't need any more forward light throw...and then your ditch lights can point out farther toward ditches. I found that if you angle your ditch lights even a smidge too far forward, then you will absolutely get hood or fender reflection...and any light that's reflecting or shining where it shouldn't be can reduce your night vision. I believe that dimmer well placed lights could easily be more functional than crazy bright poorly placed or redundant lights. I recommend giving the guys a call at whatever brand you support, tell them exactly what you're hoping to do, and they will give you very useful information regarding what specific setup may suit your desires. It can also save some embarrassment...there were some folks bashing diode dynamics fog light pattern not realizing that they installed them upside down, and the fog lights have a very specific orientation because the pattern is so specific. A quick discussion with the tech would have solved that issue. It is also more efficient to stick with a single brand because many of the manufacturers aren't going to be able to tell you things about other brands that are going to be nearly as accurate as they are about things about their own brand (or how the brands do or don't play well together). Just my 2 cents. There are a lot of people out there with really excessive/expensive lights on their rigs that just end up being super bright and impressive in a show and tell kind of way but not in a real world application. There are also a bunch of folks who have lights and who then find out by speaking with other people who have really well placed lights that they spent a lot of money on the wrong lights. As we all know price tags can quickly add up to epic proportions...
I also agree with keeping with the same brand, and also intend on doing so when I buy my ditch lights. I believe I have enough forward facing lighting and may gear mine more for true ditch lighting. Just wish someone had the SS3 Pros in Flood light pattern that could post a pic of it.

AZMikeL

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands 4dr, 2016 BMW 435i
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Could you take a pic at night? I’d like to see how you have them aimed and the how much light it throws to the sides.
I aimed them in the garage just above and outside of the headlights. Then tweaked them a bit on my road.

1st pic is headlights only. 2nd is with the pillars on. Does a great job of lighting up the shrubbery (and animals) on the sides.

20230419_201636.jpg

20230419_201646.jpg

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I aimed them in the garage just above and outside of the headlights. Then tweaked them a bit on my road.

1st pic is headlights only. 2nd is with the pillars on. Does a great job of lighting up the shrubbery (and animals) on the sides.

Ford Bronco Beam pattern for ditch lights? 20230419_201646

Ford Bronco Beam pattern for ditch lights? 20230419_201646
Helpful:

MillerAndCheeto

Wildtrak
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Cyber Orange Wildtrak Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Whatever option you choose, most lights have both options. Typically you just swap out the cover so really, you don't need to make a full decision, just make sure you get a few lense types.
Sponsored