Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Tahoe, 2000 Yukon XL, 1993 Suburban, all 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Here are some photos and a video from our recent trip up Berdoo Canyon out in Joshua Tree. Berdoo is an easy trail with only a couple of technical spots. But if you like desert canyons and scenery like we do there's plenty of it.

DTS_6378X-2400w.jpg

One of the neat things about Berdoo Canyon is the old Berdoo Camp area, where construction on the Colorado River Aqueduct was happening during the 1930's. We talk a little bit about that history in the video.

DTS_6326X-2400w.jpg

DTS_6355X-2400w.jpg

DTS_6374X-2400w.jpg

DTS_6382X-2400w.jpg

DTS_6352X-2400w.jpg

DTS_6396X-2400w.jpg

Later that day we the chased sunset down Pinkham Canyon on our way back out of the park. We'll have pics and a video for that soon :)
Thanks for the pix and memories!

Love the little and big San Bernardinos and the Mojave. Is Pipes canyon road still passable from top to bottom? What about Little Morongo?

Cheers - Jon
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Pipes Canyon is a sad story. Years ago the Wildlands Conservancy bought up all the land at the eastern end near Pioneeetown. They bulldozed the historic Pipes Canyon Road where it crossed their property up in the canyon, and closed it forever. Despite it being an historic right of way and at one time an important road for getting from the desert to the mountains. For a few years the forest service road was still open from Onyx Summit down to where the environazis erased the road. There was a nice campground down there. But a few years back there was as a fire so of course they closed the road due to hazards and fallen trees. The forest service loves to use that excuse to keep roads closed, and it remains that way to this day. A couple of years ago a small group of us went past the gate with a forest service volunteer to assess the situation. We removed a few trees and it was clear all the way down to the campground and the Wildlands Conservancy’s closure. But it’s still remains closed to the public.

I don’t know the situation with Little Morongo but I would bet it’s a similar story.

Last edited:

TPatt

Raptor
First Name
Teri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Raptor, '14 Jeep JKU, '23 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Hi Dusty,
Great pictures and video. I'm not sure Jim and I have been up there, definitely going to have to check it out.
We bought ourselves a '23 Bronco Raptor for Christmas a couple weeks ago, not sure what our plan is with it. But we are enjoying driving it around, different than a jeep.

Teri

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hi Dusty,
Great pictures and video. I'm not sure Jim and I have been up there, definitely going to have to check it out.
We bought ourselves a '23 Bronco Raptor for Christmas a couple weeks ago, not sure what our plan is with it. But we are enjoying driving it around, different than a jeep.

Teri
Is this Teri and Jim Patterson? if so welcome to the Bronco family! Wow, Bronco Raptor that's a nice score! Bring it up to Calico this weekend, a bunch of us will be up there :) Mostly Early Broncos but a few new ones too, including a Raptor or two.

TPatt

Raptor
First Name
Teri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Raptor, '14 Jeep JKU, '23 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Is this Teri and Jim Patterson? if so welcome to the Bronco family! Wow, Bronco Raptor that's a nice score! Bring it up to Calico this weekend, a bunch of us will be up there :) Mostly Early Broncos but a few new ones too, including a Raptor or two.

Yes it is.
Busy this weekend and still not sure what we want to do with it. Not sure we want (need) another offroad rig. We've just been enjoying driving it, drives really nice.
Sponsored