Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch, Porsche Macan S
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

which positioning pins? are they on the leading edge of the halo?

(can't check my vehicle right now. it's raining :))
They are the pins (1 on each side) on the front edge side of the middle panel (I have a 4 door) that drop into the positioning holes of the bracket the hard top sits on. You can see them from inside the car. I did the fix without removing the hardtop. I had to unbolt the sunrider and slide it forwrd to be able to lift the panel up. I put a rolled up towel between the panel and the car enough to elevate the top and let me work on the pins.
Sponsored

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
How do the clips play into this adjustment? What do they do and when and why am I squeezing them?
All they do is allow for the removal of that plastic cover over the strike plates. Just makes them easier to adjust.

FYI - I did end up putting some thin flat washers between the frame mount and plates to lower them a tiny bit. Seemed to help the top seal a lot. You can't lower it much though, as the metal latch brackets in the middle do not adjust.

ILoveToDrive

Badlands
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sounds like the issue was resolved. My 2023 soft top is relatively quiet, but I added the Ford front valance recently to protect the windshield and it seems to really quiet down the ride even more.

20230306_104404.jpg
Did you install it or have the dealer do it?

ILoveToDrive

Badlands
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I took the 1/8" weather stripping and wrapped it around the crossbar. It's thin enough so the part that wraps around it and closes with velcro still works properly but now the top doesn't flap and snap against the bar.
I did the exact same fix, and it worked great!

Canyon Coolers

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
canyoncoolers.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco, Dodge 2500, Sprinter Van
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Did you install it or have the dealer do it?
I ordered it with the vehicle, so they did install it, a few weeks after I got the vehicle, but it is just VHB tape, it would only require wiping the hood area with a little alcohol and sticking it on.

Sponsored

ILoveToDrive

Badlands
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ordered it with the vehicle, so they did install it, a few weeks after I got the vehicle, but it is just VHB tape, it would only require wiping the hood area with a little alcohol and sticking it on.
Thanks.

ILoveToDrive

Badlands
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Update:

I adjusted the assembly rearward using the mounting bolts, and it made it tolerable, this got me thinking. The latch rotates down and rearward to secure. I adjusted the striker forward using the two bolts and that made it feel more solid upon latching. Striker mount bolts in red, the trim doesn't have to be removed, but it does make it easier, the clips to squeeze are circled in green. I loosened it enough that I could tap it with the ratchet to get it to move. Bolts are IP50 which comes in the Bronco tool kit.

I'm going to mess with the seal some to see if I can make it quieter, but it's much better.

PXL_20220114_015434294~2.jpg
The left hand side of the plate seemed to have way more available movement forward than the right side of the plate. Did you find that as well? I was able to get a little bit of forward shift on the left side, but still not much. I think I feel a bit more resistance when I clamp it down. About to go for a drive and check out the difference...if any. Stay tuned...

Luke111

Wildtrak
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I spent 3 weeks with the Sunrider and absolutely loved the simplicity of unlatching it and flipping it open. There is a major design flaw that can not be over come by adjusting. Loosening the two bolts above the latch allows about a 1/16 of a inch of movement and yes using a couple of washers to lower the latch plate helps sealing thing but makes it really difficult to unlatch. After adjusting and running a rubber weather strip across the header I was still experiencing wind noise. After running it through a car wash twice without a leak I realized the seal between the car and top was tight but metal header in the Sunrider limits where the cloth front section sits and as others have post picture the Sunrider sits above the body line and there is no adjustment that will correct it. Bestop should reduce the gap between the metal header and the cloth section which would allow the top sit flush or lower like the factory soft top. Th noise is the wind buffeting off the leading edge, so today I removed and retuned the top, I’m hoping Bestop can make that simple design adjustment and copy the factory header.The photos on the first page of this thread clearly shows the difference between the factory soft top versus Bestop.

Last edited:
Reactions: LCW

KT_bronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect Cargo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It still makes some weird popping noises (especially when cold). I'm sure it's a bit of flapping near the back. Wind noise is good though. Anyone remedy this?
I remedied 1 popping noise from the twill by placing a felt strip in the cross bars. But I'm still hunting down popping on cold days and just generally over rough street terrain. It's actually driving me nuts.

ILoveToDrive

Badlands
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I remedied 1 popping noise from the twill by placing a felt strip in the cross bars. But I'm still hunting down popping on cold days and just generally over rough street terrain. It's actually driving me nuts.
That's not the top...probably. It's the positioning pins at the front of the middle panel. Slide on a piece of heat shrink rubber tubing, and wrap cloth tape around the base of the pin. That fix is posted is a Youtube video....
This video shows working on the front panels, but it applies to the pins on the middle panel as well.

Sponsored

KT_bronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect Cargo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's not the top...probably. It's the positioning pins at the front of the middle panel. Slide on a piece of heat shrink rubber tubing, and wrap cloth tape around the base of the pin. That fix is posted is a Youtube video....
This video shows working on the front panels, but it applies to the pins on the middle panel as well.
Appreciate it, but my question was for the Bestop Sunrider and that top doesn't have guide pins.

ILoveToDrive

Badlands
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Appreciate it, but my question was for the Bestop Sunrider and that top doesn't have guide pins.
I understand. I have it as well. The noise you’re hearing are the positioning pins on the middle mic panel. I had it as well. That fixed it. The Sunrider changes the pressure put onto the middle panel. The noise also occurs with a lot of the hard tops as you see in this video.

KT_bronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect Cargo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I understand. I have it as well. The noise you’re hearing are the positioning pins on the middle mic panel. I had it as well. That fixed it. The Sunrider changes the pressure put onto the middle panel. The noise also occurs with a lot of the hard tops as you see in this video.
Copy that, when I have it removed I'll put in the rubber tips. I've had this thing off so many times trying to remedy various issues, I'm willing to give anything a shot.

ILoveToDrive

Badlands
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Copy that, when I have it removed I'll put in the rubber tips. I've had this thing off so many times trying to remedy various issues, I'm willing to give anything a shot.
Don’t forget cloth tape for the base of the pin. It’s a tad wider than the rest of the pin and pushing the rubber that far down was a challenge.

KT_bronco

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect Cargo
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I removed the
Don’t forget cloth tape for the base of the pin. It’s a tad wider than the rest of the pin and pushing the rubber that far down was a challenge.
I removed the top and the 2 door doesn’t have those pins with the sunrider.
Sponsored