First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger STX FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
My passenger side latch was sticking pretty bad and I was also having water come in on the front passenger side because the top wasn’t fitting correctly over the seal across the front windshield. Even after a week in the sun it wasn’t any better. I ended up adjusting passenger side by removing the screw from where it held together the plastic and metal tube that runs to the front and then tapping a spot in the plastic with the screw to hold the new position. Attached picture as it’s easier to see it than explain it. I don’t have after pictures but here are the before pictures on how far off the passenger side was vs the drivers.
Ford Bronco BestTop latch issue IMG_1247
Ford Bronco BestTop latch issue IMG_1232
Ford Bronco BestTop latch issue IMG_1231
Sponsored

ATLBronco75

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've had mine for several months and will list a few tips:
  1. Every strut I found that had a gap I unscrewed and reseated it correctly.
  2. As mentioned pull down on the top with the hand cutout next to the latch. It will also loosen up a lot over time and by time I mean about a month.
  3. The rear window is finicky. Make sure the same amount of piping is sticking out both sides at the top and that the bottom rail is centered on the window before trying to lock it down.
  4. Getting the rear bar in the pictured female slots is a pain almost every time but it is absolutely essential.
  5. Even though I felt it was quieter than the stock soft top I added foam padding to my bars under the Velcro tunnels and it stopped almost all flapping.
  6. If you have twill spray it off regularly. I let some pollen/sap sit on mine for too long and it's a pain to get off because of the twill texture.
  7. Lastly, if your top is very hard to close you likely overtightened the pivot points in the side struts. I had to loosen mine and it got much easier.

Co1063

Base
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Base
just a quick note on my experience with the sunrider on a 2 door. i could not get the latches to work very well no matter how much i pulled down or how long it sat in the sun. i finally removed the plastic trim pieces that cover the bracket that the latches grab onto and now the latches work very well.

CyberOrangeBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Pic of female end - both sides
Ford Bronco BestTop latch issue IMG_1231
Also the plastic does scratch easily and is subject to deformation if not stored to limit any issues - but even when mine looked like crap, a few hours in the sun made them look pretty good again. Having said that, I bought a second set of side windows and rear window that I’ve stored away for a rainy day- I think $800 for all three. Right now I have mine laying flat on a bench in garage layered between some beach towels
Thanks for posting. Was able to join male/female but it’s still not sitting right. Getting closer but the tubing where it meets the window is off . . .

Ford Bronco BestTop latch issue IMG_0188

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for posting. Was able to join male/female but it’s still not sitting right. Getting closer but the tubing where it meets the window is off . . .

IMG_0188.jpeg
Dude that’s weird. Maybe a dumb observation but make sure the tailgate is open before you put in the back window….it should sit cleanly with bottom section of rear window overlapping the tailgate. Otherwise frankly your roof was installed incorrectly
Ford Bronco BestTop latch issue IMG_7108

Last edited:

Sponsored

CyberOrangeBadlands

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Dude that’s weird. Maybe a dumb observation but make sure the tailgate is open before you put in the back window….it should sit cleanly with bottom section of rear window overlapping the tailgate. Otherwise frankly your roof was installed incorrectly
Ford Bronco BestTop latch issue IMG_7108
Tailgate was open when i installed the back window.

The right side almost reached the tailgate door . .
Ford Bronco BestTop latch issue IMG_5381

Has to be something wrong with the top of the rear window being to high up and not reaching the tailgate snugly.

WhiskeyCity

Badlands
First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 2.3L, 7spd
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Bronco BestTop latch issue IMG_5381
I just walked out to my rig and it looks just like ^this. I installed it myself back in Feb. Something's not fitting correctly on CyberOrangeBadlands' top.

Also, when the top is cold, it's hard to latch/unlatch. When everything's warmed up, it's easy peasey.

Ford Bronco BestTop latch issue Soft To

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I've had mine for several months and will list a few tips:
  1. Every strut I found that had a gap I unscrewed and reseated it correctly.
  2. As mentioned pull down on the top with the hand cutout next to the latch. It will also loosen up a lot over time and by time I mean about a month.
  3. The rear window is finicky. Make sure the same amount of piping is sticking out both sides at the top and that the bottom rail is centered on the window before trying to lock it down.
  4. Getting the rear bar in the pictured female slots is a pain almost every time but it is absolutely essential.
  5. Even though I felt it was quieter than the stock soft top I added foam padding to my bars under the Velcro tunnels and it stopped almost all flapping.
  6. If you have twill spray it off regularly. I let some pollen/sap sit on mine for too long and it's a pain to get off because of the twill texture.
  7. Lastly, if your top is very hard to close you likely overtightened the pivot points in the side struts. I had to loosen mine and it got much easier.
Couple question on these tips.

1. I assume your talking about the point on the circled picture in post #16? You removed the screw and made the metal part sit flush? I have several points that look like that picture.
5. What type of foam padding? I used some window weatherstripping with a sticky side, but it flies off when the top is open. I put it across the whole bar though as my flapping comes from the corners where the bend is. You put it where the velcro flap is only?
7. By close do you mean latch, or you talking about closing from the sunrider position. I can latch mine fine, but opening and closing is tough. I was thinking the opposite, maybe mine are too loose (but I did tighten shit out them when installed). When i grab the bars on drivers side, Im fighting the passenger side to open, passenger side lags behind kind of in a bind, doesnt open evenly if that makes sense.

ATLBronco75

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Couple question on these tips.

1. I assume your talking about the point on the circled picture in post #16? You removed the screw and made the metal part sit flush? I have several points that look like that picture.
5. What type of foam padding? I used some window weatherstripping with a sticky side, but it flies off when the top is open. I put it across the whole bar though as my flapping comes from the corners where the bend is. You put it where the velcro flap is only?
7. By close do you mean latch, or you talking about closing from the sunrider position. I can latch mine fine, but opening and closing is tough. I was thinking the opposite, maybe mine are too loose (but I did tighten shit out them when installed). When i grab the bars on drivers side, Im fighting the passenger side to open, passenger side lags behind kind of in a bind, doesnt open evenly if that makes sense.

1. Yes. I fully seated all of my parts before installing.

5. I used this: https://www.mcmaster.com/2029N13/
Slit it and covered every bar so it was tight under the velcro.

7. I'm talking about flipping it forward and back. I initially had my pivots too tight (the plastic was deforming) and they were binding. I still have the twisting problem from side to side but I get around that by standing in the back seat floor area and flipping both sides at once. This also helps me tuck the top fold back so it doesn't hang over the back seat head area.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

1. Yes. I fully seated all of my parts before installing.

5. I used this: https://www.mcmaster.com/2029N13/
Slit it and covered every bar so it was tight under the velcro.

7. I'm talking about flipping it forward and back. I initially had my pivots too tight (the plastic was deforming) and they were binding. I still have the twisting problem from side to side but I get around that by standing in the back seat floor area and flipping both sides at once. This also helps me tuck the top fold back so it doesn't hang over the back seat head area.
Awesome thanks. That pipe insulation will definitely do the trick. Didn't realize it was available in such a thin wall.

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco BestTop latch issue Soft To
Looks to me that the left side is not installed or seated properly.. seeing some lift in that pic. Suggest you check it out next warm day. Thankfully that’s everyday here in sunny Clearwater
Sponsored