jeep364

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep WK
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I had an 03 4Runner with only 2H, 4H and 4L. I live in Colorado and never really had an issue. Tires make a big difference. I would also switch to 4H if conditions got bad. I would also switch back to 2H on sustained dry pavement. More of a nuisance than anything else. I do recall my owner's manual stating that I shouldn't drive over a certain speed (maybe 45 mph?), but if conditions are really bad, do I really want to be driving faster than that anyway?
At least the 04-09 4runners "4high" was really "4auto". Allowed to run on dry pavement.

For my purposes I will not buy a vehicle without the ability to run 4auto. Grew up in snow country, it is tremendously useful.

Big bend vs BD to me is based on 4 auto availability (without sasquatch) and cloth vs MGV in real life.

Agree tires make the most difference.
Sponsored

OP
OP
5280Bronco

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

At least the 04-09 4runners "4high" was really "4auto". Allowed to run on dry pavement.

For my purposes I will not buy a vehicle without the ability to run 4auto. Grew up in snow country, it is tremendously useful.

Big bend vs BD to me is based on 4 auto availability (without sasquatch) and cloth vs MGV in real life.

Yep, this is exactly why I'm deciding between squach BB and a standard BD. I don't need the squach, so BD may be it.

jswing

Base
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Base

Same, it's the 4auto that has me moving to BD.

PRA4SNW

Outer Banks
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Flex
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Same, it's the 4auto that has me moving to BD.
I may have to do the same thing, unfortunately. Maybe cut back on some options to equalize the price difference.

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Idk where you guys live, but I live in southeast PA (Philly). And do a lot of snowboarding, travel to VT, NY. And I never use the 4 auto on my Tahoe. It's always in 2H. Unless it's actively snowing, then I use 4H. You actually have more control over your car in rear wheel drive. And you'll also get better gas mileage.

So literally for, what 9? months of the year, the car is always in 2H. Then occasionally during those other 3 months I'll put it in 4H if needed. Doesn't seem worth the cost to me.

There's articles out there (you can Google it) that go into detail about how 4 auto is mostly a marketing gimmick to upsell you. With that said though, maybe you'll get higher resell value? But I'm personally not worried about that.

Anyway. Just my 2 cents, fwiw.

Sponsored

jeep364

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep WK
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Yep, this is exactly why I'm deciding between squach BB and a standard BD. I don't need the squach, so BD may be it.
I was playing around and Base squatch vs BD Mid+4auto difference is 1500 or so.

Obviously Mid package adds a few things (but mainly adds automatic transmission for 'free').

But I could downsize squatch to 33s or 32s and add remote start on my own. Don't need heated seats with cloth seats, where as you would want them with MGV.

Decisions decisions.

Last edited:

Rydfree

Badlands
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford F-150 Supercrew 4WD King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

dingle87

Black Diamond
First Name
Reese
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Explorer XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Unless you just have to have the remote start button on your keyfob , the vehicle can be started from your cell phone by using the free FordPass app .
https://www.cars.com/articles/ford-makes-fordpass-connect-remote-vehicle-services-free-411276/
That's true, unless it's a manual trans, then the FordPass remote start won't work either. If you're talking automatic trans, then yes using FordPass should work just fine. But... in the manual trans world, we won't have access to Mid package in the BD anyways, so not sure I even needed to post this. LOL.

derpydestiny

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda 3 GT HB (MT)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm taking the "wait and see" attitude about this one. But, if it's true that what we see is correct, then perhaps we have lucked into a $1,500 discount if the automatic transmission is included in the mid-package.
That don't know why you can get the mid and high package with manual on the Badlands but you can't even get mid on the Big Bend. That's annoying me.

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Never saw a cactus gray BB so far... so I tried to photoshop that CG on that Antimatter 4-door:

Antimatter Blue Bronco Big Bend 4 Door.jpg
I really don’t like those wheels, nor those skinny all-season tires. I like the Big Bend, but I’d have to add the optional wheels from the Badlands, on my own.

Sponsored

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ok. So today my build is 4 doorBig Bend, Iconic Silver, Locker for $37870.

Waffled down from 4 door Base Squatch. $40485.

Until the next wind shift.

Trigger

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Silverado/2022 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sticking with the Big Bend. Trying to save weight since it'll be a tow behind and doing all I can for good MPG (commuter for a few years). Yes, I know you don't buy a Bronco for MPG. For those that may have ordered, was anyone able to get Manual with the Mid Pkg? Looks like it has been removed and I am really disappointed if that is the case. I hate to choose between the two.

Any successful BB MT with Mid orders?

_finack

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Lincoln MKZ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sticking with the Big Bend. Trying to save weight since it'll be a tow behind and doing all I can for good MPG (commuter for a few years). Yes, I know you don't buy a Bronco for MPG. For those that may have ordered, was anyone able to get Manual with the Mid Pkg? Looks like it has been removed and I am really disappointed if that is the case. I hate to choose between the two.

Any successful BB MT with Mid orders?
I thought it's been pretty well known for awhile that the only way to get a manual with the Mid package (or higher) was to get a Badlands.

Sorry, you are probably out of luck for MY2021 at least.

Trigger

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Silverado/2022 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I thought it's been pretty well known for awhile that the only way to get a manual with the Mid package (or higher) was to get a Badlands.

Sorry, you are probably out of luck for MY2021 at least.
I am pretty active on the site, not sure how I missed that major news. Bummed for sure but will decide between them. I am a late Jul reservation so likely pushed to 22 unless I get lucky with my simple, cost conscience build. Moving up to a BL isn't in the cards. Thanks for the info.

Panmort

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Outer Banks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Currently debating on getting the rear locking differential or not on the manual BB. I don't plan on doing a ton of off-roading, to be honest.

edit: Went ahead and included the RLD, figured the extra $500 was worth it in case, plus re-sale value if I ever decide to part with it. I'll most likely get pushed to MY22, but I sent over my B&P to my dealership, finally.

Carbonized Gray 4D, manual, MIC hardtop, sound deadening, and rear locking differential. Figured I'll add some stuff after-market or through the dealership, like roof racks.
Sponsored

Last edited: