First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have been considering buying some take-off SAS coil overs for a little upgrade and lift to my BD non-SAS and eventually going to 33 or 34's. I know this would be better than spacers, but am i creating weak points and future problems by doing so? For light off-roading (fire-roads, hunting, creek crossings, etc.) i was thinking control arms and possible tie rod re-enforcement. Basically, want to know if coil overs alone would be sufficient or am i going down a rabbit-hole? Thanks,
Sponsored

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Following..

I will say tho I measured my stock non sas bd with 295/70r17 (roughly 33.3") vs a stock wildtrack yesterday and the overall height difference from ground to flare was 1" front and .5" rear higher on the WT. Im leaning more towards just doing a level now and be done. Im 5'9" on a good day so I dont want it too high.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have been considering buying some take-off SAS coil overs for a little upgrade and lift to my BD non-SAS and eventually going to 33 or 34's. I know this would be better than spacers, but am i creating weak points and future problems by doing so? For light off-roading (fire-roads, hunting, creek crossings, etc.) i was thinking control arms and possible tie rod re-enforcement. Basically, want to know if coil overs alone would be sufficient or am i going down a rabbit-hole? Thanks,
For the bronco and the type of light off road you are doing coil overs would be perfect. Don't go too crazy if you aren't doing any major off road stuff.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You went down a rabbit hole the day you ordered it.

Iā€™m finishing up 10 months with 33s and Badlands Bilstein coilovers on my BD. Itā€™s all you need. Rabbit holes being what they are, I just got my new Icons delivered this week and will install next week. Iā€™ll keep the 33s for a couple more months and then go to 35s. Iā€™m not too worried about anything else. Iā€™ll just fix/upgrade what breaks, but I doubt Iā€™ll need to any time soon.

Trigger

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Silverado/2022 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As someone waiting on their non-SAS BD (built but waiting on a rail from MAP), I am surprised that there is a need for coil overs for your intended purpose. OP, are you saying your current setup isnā€™t capable of fire-roads, hunting and creek crossing right out of the box? We have similar needs from our rigs and Iā€™m not sure what we are doing here if a stock BD needs to be upgraded to handle it. Surely itā€™s sufficient (although I like the look of 33ā€™ KO2s on the BDs). Following the thread.

Sponsored

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

for reference I have done everything you plan to ride and more on the stock hitachis. that said i did move to 33s on a 17x9 wheel but pushed it completely stock to see what's up. i shocked friends that offroad in beefier jeeps, it's good.

i'll do c/os at some point but be advised it is more of a want than a need. theres a ton of aftermarket out or coming, ford performance, or takeoffs. i'll probably go @kodiakisland and get takeoffs but no rush.

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My 2 door Black Diamond is in the shop today getting High Ride (Sasquatch) suspension installed. While they are at it, they'll also install JKS tie rod sleeves. I've been running 33" tires since I picked it up last fall. 33s fit perfectly fine (no rubbing), but I want a little more clearance under the belly, more suspension travel, and better shocks without spending a galizzion dollars. My Bronco sees some pretty rough, rocky roads and I am very confident that this upgrade is not creating any weak points. I may even go with 35" tires when my current tires wear out. That may stress the M190 front differential, but I think I'd be OK since I tend to be light-footed off road. IMHO, Sasquatch suspension will be perfect for you.

F OR D

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD Green Machine
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You went down a rabbit hole the day you ordered it.

Iā€™m finishing up 10 months with 33s and Badlands Bilstein coilovers on my BD. Itā€™s all you need. Rabbit holes being what they are, I just got my new Icons delivered this week and will install next week. Iā€™ll keep the 33s for a couple more months and then go to 35s. Iā€™m not too worried about anything else. Iā€™ll just fix/upgrade what breaks, but I doubt Iā€™ll need to any time soon.
i've followed your dissertation on hitachis > bilsteins, i expect to hear the full report about the icons vs the other two!

jasonkosi

Black Diamond
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As someone waiting on their non-SAS BD (built but waiting on a rail from MAP), I am surprised that there is a need for coil overs for your intended purpose. OP, are you saying your current setup isnā€™t capable of fire-roads, hunting and creek crossing right out of the box? We have similar needs from our rigs and Iā€™m not sure what we are doing here if a stock BD needs to be upgraded to handle it. Surely itā€™s sufficient (although I like the look of 33ā€™ KO2s on the BDs). Following the thread.
If your needs are similar to OPs, the non sas BD will do you perfectly fine. Even on more moderate/hard off road trails, mine kept up fine with 2 other Badlands. I considered putting takeoff Bilsteins and 33s on mine, but Iā€™ve been blown away with the out of the box capability from the BD so I havenā€™t bothered.

Tarheel_Wes

Black Diamond
First Name
Wesley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is exactly what I have on my BD.
33ā€ KO2s (285 70-17)

I didnā€™t make any other modsā€¦no lift no level no coil over.
Gives it a more aggressive look and I think the BD can do 90% of off-roading.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Abenson

Abenson

Black Diamond
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No, it's capable, but i was looking at adding a little lift for better clearance and bigger tires.

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ā€˜1928 model A, ā€œ23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Unless ya can pick up so ā€œtake-offsā€ cheap I would go aftermarket coil overs...there are some good options out there for the price of new Sasquatch parts.

MudMonsterRacin

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1, 2016 F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is my plan when mine comes. Im gonna go with a BL non sasquatch takeoffs and 33 inch tires i think. Ive seen full coilover takeoffs for around 800 bucks so far. I really like the optional BL beadlock style wheels too so maybe a set of takeoffs there too.

Trigger

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Silverado/2022 Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No, it's capable, but i was looking at adding a little lift for better clearance and bigger tires.
That is encouraging. Iā€™ll follow your lead at some point with a lift and tires.

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I put a zone 2 inch spacer kit. and SAS takeoffs For south Florida off roading the kit is fine. Waiting on ford performance coils. Removed crash bars. Ride is same or better than before
i have posted pics with lift and stock BD wheels and SAS wheels and 35 s in other threads. Check my posts for pics if you like
Sponsored