Bronco bolts

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Be careful swapping in stainless. The stainless may be substantially weaker than the steel parts. Unless you know the material and heat treat on these bolts I would do it unless the application is purely cosmetic (trim parts, etc). If the application is anything remotely structural or safety related don't do it. 300-series (302-304 typical fastener materials) also known as 18-8 has a strength that roughly equates to a Grade-5 bolt strength. The "Bronco" bolts potentially could have a strength rating at a Grade-8 or higher level. Without either doing destructive testing or having the manufacturer's print you won't know. Also very possible that the Bronco bolts are simply low carbon steel in which case the stainless would be a strength upgrade.
Absolutely.
I should have added that caveat.
I replaced just about every bolt I could on my motorcycle with allen head cap screws or allen pan head bolts, stainless where applicable and it really cleaned the look up and gave more space to work on stuff. OF course, only on cosmetic stuff or where stainless was a grade upgrade.
If I were guessing based solely on the few pics we have of the M6 Bronco bolts I would guess grade 5 mild steel, coated for corrosion. M8 up to M12 more than likely a grade 8 or better. (just assumptions).
But that's based solely on visuals and no independent data or anything else...Having a grade 8 M6X1.25 bolt is a bit overkill for the intended use in most cases...
Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Alright, the moment you've been waiting for...
The little bolt appears to be M6x20
The bigger bolt appears to be M8x30

PXL_20210615_215614680.jpg
Looks like I nailed the size and type. 😎

Based on the photos, I’m guessing…

M8 x 30mm T40 Torx?
M6 x 20mm T40 Torx?

I would love to learn the actual sizes, if anyone can confirm them.
Any confirmation on the Torx head? :unsure:

Based on @flip’s post, I think it’s probably T30 instead of T40. I doubt the Bronco tool kit contains two different Torx wrenches?