Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That bolt seems to have a more smooth "dog point" vs. the Bronco bolt, which looks stripped to me. :LOL:
The Quadratec fastener in the photo I posted is brand new.

The photo that the OP posted is of a used fastener, which has already been installed and removed. It has some thread or lathe markings on the dog point, but the thread isn’t stripped.

Ford Bronco Bronco bolts E3D0D8D9-CFF4-4CED-9143-C84D001176DC
Sponsored

TXNavy

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon XLT 1500 4x4, Jeep Liberty Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Oh great! Another commodity restrained item because people are giving away Bronco bolts

/s

OP
OP
DasQball

DasQball

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer ST, Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That bolt seems to have a more smooth "dog point" vs. the Bronco bolt, which looks stripped to me. :LOL:
I didn't get to talk to the guy about how they're made... But these could be QA rejects.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

" One Piece at a Time" Johnny Cash

Sponsored

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Think @Efthreeoh is just going on about the “stripped bolts “... 🤷‍♂️
Well, I've worked on a lot of cars in the past 40 years and in a aerospace manufacturing plant as a manufacturing engineer and never seen a bolt thread such as the Bronco bolts pictured. While what Razorbac86 makes sense, it seems the dog point is a bit of an interference fit since there are threads cut into the bolt shaft. Maybe it explains why the remaining threads are munged up (industry term)...

I'd like to see what the threads look like that the bolt came out of. But that might be going on about it ;) .

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, I've worked on a lot of cars in the past 40 years and in a aerospace manufacturing plant as a manufacturing engineer and never seen a bolt thread such as the Bronco bolts pictured. While what Razorbac86 makes sense, it seems the dog point is a bit of an interference fit since there are threads cut into the bolt shaft. Maybe it explains why the remaining threads are munged up (industry term)...

I'd like to see what the threads look like that the bolt came out of. But that might be going on about it ;) .
I’ve made thousands of bolts/screws for the military/aerospace and for the medical industry. Plus I turned a wrench once 😉. These mass produced bolts are thread rolled though... so the tolerances are a lot more open than you and I are accustomed too in the aerospace world.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ve made thousands of bolts/screws for the military/aerospace and for the medical industry. Plus I turned a wrench once 😉. These mass produced bolts are thread rolled though... so the tolerances are a lot more open than you and I are accustomed too in the aerospace world.
I get that. At the risk of going on about this ;) I pulled three used dog-point bolts from my spare automotive bolt collection. One bolt was from my old F150 when I removed the center belt. Not a mark on the point. A very rusted one from my old Jeep (I think), again no thread trail on the point. If the threaded hole that the bronco bolts are threading into are leaving thread traces on the point, then I'd say there is a tolerance issue. Perhaps the bolts are preproduction.

OP
OP
DasQball

DasQball

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer ST, Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I get that. At the risk of going on about this ;) I pulled three used dog-point bolts from my spare automotive bolt collection. One bolt was from my old F150 when I removed the center belt. Not a mark on the point. A very rusted one from my old Jeep (I think), again no thread trail on the point. If the threaded hole that the bronco bolts are threading into are leaving thread traces on the point, then I'd say there is a tolerance issue. Perhaps the bolts are preproduction.
I can assure you they aren't preproduction and they weren't installed on a vehicle.

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe it is a MAThread screw?

The MAThread screw can correct any degree of axial misalignment. It features a dog point that aligns the screw and nut upon insertion. As the screw is turned, its threads cam over the female threads, forcing the two helixes into alignment. Misalignment is allegedly impossible.

Ford Bronco Bronco bolts 3788497A-9FAA-4243-8671-2C855B7EA5B0

Automakers and Tier 1 suppliers hate cross-threading, and for good reason: It raises the cost of fastening operations through increased rework or scrap. The good news for manufacturers is they can use specially designed thread-rolling screws to prevent this problem, which occurs when the threads of a fastener do not align with those of a nut or a tapped hole.

Interestingly, one manufacturer’s concern about cross-threading spurred the development of the first thread-rolling screw. In the early 1960s, General Motors advertised to fastener companies its need for a fastener that formed threads in heavy-gauge materials like a tapping screw. General Motors was convinced that such a fastener would prevent cross-threading.

An engineer at REMINC accepted the challenge and developed Taptite thread-rolling screws. Within a few years, Taptite screws were being used by several automakers. By the 1990s, several types of thread-rolling screws were available and being used in other industries, such as white goods.

These days, there are a wide variety of screws for specialized tasks and specific fastening problems. They feature drive styles like the Mortorq Super, which quickens bit engagement and facilitates automated assembly, and head styles like the Ecosyn-Grip, which prevents loosening due to vibration.

[…]

Mike Garver, president of MAThread Inc., invented the MAThread anti-cross-threading screw in 1995. He took a standard screw and filed the threads to the shape he wanted. Then he intentionally tried to cross-thread the screw with a nut and couldn’t. By early 1996, MAThread was in production.

The MAThread screw can correct any degree of axial misalignment. It features a dog point that aligns the screw and nut upon insertion. As the screw is turned, its threads cam over the female threads, forcing the two helixes into alignment. Garver claims that misalignment is impossible.

“In early 1996, when Ford heard about our new product, they contacted us about a serious cross-threading problem they were having at their plant in Chicago,” recalls Garver. “Door handles on the Taurus and Sable were loosening. We provided them with a few thousand fasteners, and the problem went away. ”

Soon after that, Garver got a call from a Ford plant in Louisville seeking fasteners to solve a cross-threading problem with radiators. Then several General Motors and Chrysler plants contacted Garver about cross-threading problems they were having. Both companies liked the fasteners and began using them regularly.

Automakers then requested a shorter screw to save space. This led the company to introduce its MATPoint screw in 1999. By 2000, General Motors and Chrysler had specified them in all their plants. Mercedes did likewise in 2002. Garver says the MATPoint accounts for 95 percent of the 28 billion fasteners sold to date.
Source: https://www.assemblymag.com/articles/91865-whats-new-with-screws

Last edited:

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Maybe it is a MAThread screw?

The MAThread screw can correct any degree of axial misalignment. It features a dog point that aligns the screw and nut upon insertion. As the screw is turned, its threads cam over the female threads, forcing the two helixes into alignment. Misalignment is allegedly impossible.

Ford Bronco Bronco bolts 3788497A-9FAA-4243-8671-2C855B7EA5B0

Source: https://www.assemblymag.com/articles/91865-whats-new-with-screws
The female holes are typically not pre-tapped. The "bolts" are thread forming screws. The form the threads as they are installed.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
News flash. Bronco production delayed due to random bolt shortage. Lol

ex_nyer

Badlands
First Name
Chokes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Land Cruiser, Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
but what about that hat? Where did it come from?
[/QUOTE]

Go this one at dealer preview .....

Ford Bronco Bronco bolts 1623068758152
Sponsored