DasQball

Wildtrak
First Name
Ryan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer ST, F-150
Clubs

Have you thought about buying lottery tickets? If so, what numbers would you play? Asking for a friend. ;)
Nope... Wouldn't even know how many numbers you need.

Advertisement

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Clubs

How much for one of the bolts? So I can be a step closer as well... lol

Razorbak86

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX-450h, BMW R1150 GS
Clubs

My non-existent hardtop uses latches, it's easier than bolts.
Nice try there. It’s a reverse-mullet design. Party up front (easy-turn latches), and business in the back (T50 Torx bolts).

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, 93 Bronco, 13 F250 6.2L
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I bet @flip could get us specs on these...

Efthreeoh

Black Diamond
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Painful on the lack of fasteners knowledge on this thread :ROFLMAO: But worst is, anyone else notice the first millimeter or two of the threads are stripped...

North7

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Clubs

Painful on the lack of fasteners knowledge on this thread :ROFLMAO: But worst is, anyone else notice the first millimeter or two of the threads are stripped...
Yes, but that is not stripped, it is designed that way to act as a guide pin for alignment through the two pieces of metal it holds together.

Efthreeoh

Black Diamond
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Yes, but that is not stripped, it is designed that way to act as a guide pin for alignment through the two pieces of metal it holds together.
Not that I've seen every fastener type made :geek: , I've never seen a thread starter section that looks like that. Granted, the two bolt threads do look "stripped" in the same manner. Interesting way they form it.

flip

Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Clubs

I bet @flip could get us specs on these...
I try to order some tomorrow. Most of the parts we have looked up are in the national depot. We are serviced out of the Indy pdc but get a lot of stuff out of national or Memphis.
A good majority of hardware/fasteners are necked down on the leading edge. I think this is done to lessen the chances of cross threadding both on the production line and at the repair level. A lot of fasteners are installed with power tools on the line where as we generally start them by hand prior to using air, electric or mechanical tools.

Last edited:

Razorbak86

Badlands
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus RX-450h, BMW R1150 GS
Clubs

A good majority of hardware/fasteners are necked down on the leading edge. I think this is done to lessen the chances of cross threadding both on the production line and at the repair level. A lot of fasteners are installed with power tools on the line where as we generally start them by hand prior to using air, electric or mechanical tools.
Correct. The bigger fastener is a SEMS screw (screw and washer assembly) with a dog point (or pilot point), which helps speed alignment during automated assembly.

For comparison, below is a replacement hard top retainer bolt sold by Quadratec for several Jeep Wrangler TJ and JK model years.

28CA05C9-1C8E-45B5-9418-09427036F61C.jpeg

https://www.quadratec.com/p/omix-ada/hardtop-bolt-m8x125-97-17-jeep-wrangler-tj-jk

This is a SEMS M8 x 1.25 x 25mm dog point T40 Torx.

Efthreeoh

Black Diamond
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Correct. The bigger fastener is a SEMS screw (screw and washer assembly) with a dog point (or pilot point), which helps speed alignment during automated assembly.

For comparison, below is a replacement hard top retainer bolt sold by Quadratec for several Jeep Wrangler TJ and JK model years.

28CA05C9-1C8E-45B5-9418-09427036F61C.jpeg

https://www.quadratec.com/p/omix-ada/hardtop-bolt-m8x125-97-17-jeep-wrangler-tj-jk

This is a SEMS M8 x 1.25 x 25mm dog point T40 Torx.
That bolt seems to have a more smooth "dog point" vs. the Bronco bolt, which looks stripped to me. :LOL:

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Clubs

That bolt seems to have a more smooth "dog point" vs. the Bronco bolt, which looks stripped to me. :LOL:
Thread rollers for the Bronco Bolts are newer... gotta wait for em to wear down a bit 🙂

Advertisement

Ridergraphix

Advertisement