Sponsored

Bronco/Bronco Sport Trade In Plan: Dumb?

Pughbert

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So, I’ve recently gotten a new job that pays really well and want to reward myself with my dream car: a Bronco. Unfortunately, full-size Broncos are being marked up right now on lots at ridiculous amounts.

So, I plan on ordering one. However, in the meantime, during my search for a Bronco, I found a great deal on a 2022 Bronco Sport at MSRP from a local small dealer.

I’m able to put down enough on the Sport that I would be financing 20,000. The only reason I’m considering this is because the order-to-delivery time on Broncos has been long and indefinite and new cars are holding their value incredibly well.

I would get the Sport, drive it lightly for a few months (I WFH), and then trade it in for a Bronco when it comes in.

Dumb decision? Has anyone else gotten an interim vehicle while waiting for their Bronco?
Sponsored

jsteph262

Outer Banks
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

That's pretty much what I'm doing with my current F150. Is it a smart financial decision? Probably not, but hey, I'm here for a good time, not a long time. 😂 I actually wish I would have gone with a Bronco Sport over my F150 for my interim vehicle.

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If your current vehicle is fine to drive, purchasing a vehicle as a hold over will likely only put you back financially. If that is okay with you then go for it. You could break even or possibly end out ahead, but expecting that to happen is irresponsible. Assume the worst, hope for the best.

OP
OP

Pughbert

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
That's pretty much what I'm doing with my current F150. Is it a smart financial decision? Probably not, but hey, I'm here for a good time, not a long time. 😂 I actually wish I would have gone with a Bronco Sport over my F150 for my interim vehicle.
Haha, that's how I feel. With the indefiniteness of the delivery time with a full-size Bronco, I was thinking getting an interim vehicle wouldn't be a bad idea, especially seeing how current '21 models are holding their value. Even if a lose a few grand, I guess it would be an appropriate toll to pay to get to drive a nice new car while I wait on the dream one.

Sponsored

Gizmo

Outer Banks
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Alfa Romeo Stelvio 2020 Porsche Macan 23 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Only problem is you can't even order a Bronco right now. Order banks are closed till the 2023 model year
I think i heard in August we may be able to order a 23

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'm just guessing here, but I'd say a new order would be a 2 year wait. Who knows what the used car market will be at that point.

OP
OP

Pughbert

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Only problem is you can't even order a Bronco right now. Order banks are closed till the 2023 model year
Yep, I know. If I order a '23 Bronco in August I think I'd be waiting until sometime next Spring, best case scenario.

OP
OP

Pughbert

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm just guessing here, but I'd say a new order would be a 2 year wait. Who knows what the used car market will be at that point.
Yeah, my order would be a pretty basic Big Bend with the Mid package and a soft top, so I'm pretty confident it would be in by next Summer, barring other unforeseen circumstances.

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yeah, my order would be a pretty basic Big Bend with the Mid package and a soft top, so I'm pretty confident it would be in by next Summer, barring other unforeseen circumstances.
Uh, I would be confident with anything Bronco related at this point......

Sponsored
OP
OP

Pughbert

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If your current vehicle is fine to drive, purchasing a vehicle as a hold over will likely only put you back financially. If that is okay with you then go for it. You could break even or possibly end out ahead, but expecting that to happen is irresponsible. Assume the worst, hope for the best.
I'm just worried my current trade (2015 Accord) will lose more value in that time than a 2022 Sport, knowing that my Accord's value right now is like 80% of what it was when I bought it.

You're right though, I definitely don't expect to come out on top. I'm just hoping I break even.

OP
OP

Pughbert

Big Bend
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Uh, I would be confident with anything Bronco related at this point......
Very true, but I've heard of that build being pumped out in 3 months. I could definitely be wrong though and that's why I'm entertaining getting an interim vehicle.

Jeverall

Outer Banks
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Totally. I paid a ridiculous markup on a new Bronco last month, but figured I might be making up for some of it by capturing the current premium on my trade in, &/or getting ahead of costly repairs.... Was it the best financial decision,? No...... "but I got no patience, and I hate waitin..... "

lol :ROFLMAO:@jsteph262 " I'm here for a good time, not a long time".. facts

Last edited:

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Very true, but I've heard of that build being pumped out in 3 months. I could definitely be wrong though and that's why I'm entertaining getting an interim vehicle.
It depends entirely on your dealer's orders vs their allocations. Yes, that is a simple build, but if your dealer has a lot like it, then youll be at the end of the line.

If they have 100 orders and 80 are an easy build like that, and they only have 75 allocations for 2023, youll be waiting until 2024.

ths0002

Outer Banks
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco OBX 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I kind of stumbled into the same plan. Car burned up in 2021, and they had a reasonable Big Bend Bronco Sport on the lot. The dealership knew I wanted a big Bronco, so they called and offered to buy my Sport back for almost as much as I paid for it as a trade in earlier this year. Now, if Ford could hustle and build the big one, the plan would work out nicely. I know it won't be worth nearly what they initially offered by the time the trade in happens, but those Sports are in high demand, too.
Sponsored