Sponsored

Bronco Drive Shaft and U-Joints, what are they?

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
The drive shaft and U-joints on the Bronco are totally different than what I have worked on before. I'm not having any problems, just looking for information on what these are and how they function. Is the joint in the photo a U-Joint or some kind of rubber coupling? What is the advantage over a traditional U-Joint? I also notice a rubber boot in the middle of the drive shaft, what is under this rubber boot?

Thanks

IMG_20220817_192232308[1].jpg
Sponsored

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The plus is they are sealed to keep crap out and run smoother than a traditional U joint. There is a slip joint under the rubber in the middle of the shaft. My 1950 dodge has something similar lol.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Thank you for this post. I was so wondering about those "U Joints". I have never seen any like that in all my years of working on vehicles. I like the design- enclosed and fully lubricated all of the time. And from the video looks like they are serviceable and can be replaced. They should last awhile......

I learn more and more about my Bronco on this forum.

OP
OP
broncobase1

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
Not U-joints, CV joints. Similar to these:
Thanks to everyone who responded exactly what I was looking for. I guess this type of drive shaft has been around for awhile, do Jeeps use it or do they use traditional U-Joints? These joints don't really move that much, should last a long time.

Sponsored

goatman2

Badlands
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gandgautorepair.com
Vehicle(s)
F450, Jeep XJ, Porsche 911, 2dr Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They are all CV joints rather than u-joints and they eliminate any driveline vibrations that can come from u-joints. They are also non-servicable which is what is mostly on newer vehicles. Jeeps since the JK came with CV driveshafts. All IFS vehicles have CV axles. To be determined if it will be a good idea to change the rear shaft to standard u-joint style down the road with bigger lifts. U-joint angles are important to eliminate vibrations while that isn't as issue with CV drivelines.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Jeep has something similar and it's called a Rzeppa joint (ra-zep-a)

Kind of looks like that to me. They're actually stronger than normal you joints but they have some cons.
Sponsored