Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, Harley Trike, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I did some searching for an upgrade to the Broncos CV half axel,

Splicer makes one with 29 Splines and another with 32 splines. According to Bronco buster they north work with the M220 axel with locker. Yet obviously that
can’t be entirely true. One is $2600 for the st, the other is $2700 for the set.

ford performance makes a set for $450

And then RCV makes a set for $2300 which say are for any bronco with the sas package with front locker and m220.

I haven’t seen any posts here for anyone who has done this upgrade? I haven’t even heard of very many people even breaking their CV’s even with 40’s

the biggest problem I hear is with tie rods and the steering rack, which I am planning on upgrading the entire steering rack with bronco buster and him tie rods from FMI

I am goi;g to be upgrading to 37’s soon as well.

thoughts? Is it worth the $2300-2700? Bronco Buster even has a new front dif tube for $1800 that’s stiffer. Would that be a better option. Or do both?
Sponsored

Copperhorse73

Wildtrak
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4 door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I just put in the rcvs a couple weeks ago. If you lift it and do larger tires it’s a good insurance policy. Just this last weekend a friend broke his cv on an obstacle course. He is lifted with 37s and that sucker snapped good

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

A guy here broke his shaft last weekend... No lift and 35s... SAS with the 220.... It happens. I do not think it is a common "happening all the time" thing. It is situational. Some people are just better at breaking things than others. And well if you are going to be good at something... show your talent!

Sponsored

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just picked up a spare set of stock CVs to take on trips, cheapish insurance. Those suckers are heavy and bulky though.

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Long time lurker and decided today to create an account and start posting. I'm currently doing a pretty extensive build and my 32 spline FDU is actually scheduled for delivery today! If you want to upgrade to the 32 spline half shafts you will need the FDU as well. RCV has a lifetime warranty on the 29 spline shafts running 40's, but I think your weak point at that point will be the intermediate shaft-and in that case the broncbuster bandaid isn't going to help much. I originally planned on running the RCV's so I could keep the factory axles as spares, but again that isn't going to help me much when the intermediate goes and takes the differential out with it. Bit the bullet and went the full distance with the Spicer upgrades. Good luck with your decision!

https://danaproparts.com/i-30498010...ch:https://danaproparts.com/search.html?q=FDU

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Stock FDUs are 29 spline (both m190 and m210) OEM

But you can upgrade the carrier inside the FDU to 32-spline (similar carrier as in the rear m220, may be the same, not sure). If you buy the Dana Ultimate 44 Advantek FDU (not the Ford Performance one) that comes with a 32-spline carrier.

You probably wouldn't have 32 spline unless you bought the FDU through Dana or you went air locker/Eaton or upgraded the gears and carrier.

So yeah, they both work with the m210 - just a matter of which carrier you have in there.

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Long time lurker and decided today to create an account and start posting. I'm currently doing a pretty extensive build and my 32 spline FDU is actually scheduled for delivery today! If you want to upgrade to the 32 spline half shafts you will need the FDU as well. RCV has a lifetime warranty on the 29 spline shafts running 40's, but I think your weak point at that point will be the intermediate shaft-and in that case the broncbuster bandaid isn't going to help much. I originally planned on running the RCV's so I could keep the factory axles as spares, but again that isn't going to help me much when the intermediate goes and takes the differential out with it. Bit the bullet and went the full distance with the Spicer upgrades. Good luck with your decision!

https://danaproparts.com/i-30498010-ultimate-dana-44-advantekfront-drive-unit-fdu-fits-2021-ford-bronco-4-88-gear-ratio-electronic-locking-differential-32-spline.html?ref=search:https://danaproparts.com/search.html?q=FDU
This was the idea behind me upgrading to the UFDU vice the BB Band-Aid because the intermediate shaft was not going to be addressed. After selling my RCV's & Stock FDU it ran me an extra $1K over the BB Band-aid so it was a no brainer & the fact my wife insisted I do it 🤠

Sponsored

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This was the idea behind me upgrading to the UFDU vice the BB Band-Aid because the intermediate shaft was not going to be addressed. After selling my RCV's & Stock FDU it ran me an extra $1K over the BB Band-aid so it was a no brainer & the fact my wife insisted I do it 🤠
It definitely seems like the prudent way to go. Funny how that BB guy will talk smack on 74Weld for something like the billet steering rack “it’s just a $6000 shiny piece of aluminum that you don’t need” but he’ll turn around and sell a shiny piece of aluminum for an intermediate shaft where the housing isn’t even the issue. The more that guy talks the more I see him as a shady used car salesman.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well there were people that were breaking the mount on the aluminum tube. I would have ended up with the UFDU anyway so I saved the price of the BB tube 🤠

OP
OP
Texasgrillchef

Texasgrillchef

Badlands
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands, Harley Trike, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ideally upgrading everything is always the way to go. Absolutly. But a lot more costly as well.

I just wonder though the need level. Like the one gentleman even admited to to driver error going up Hells Gate.

I have been up Hells Gate Twice. Albeit it wasn’t in a Bronco. I did it in my Xterra that had a titan swap done on it though. Never had an issue. Not for sure how the FDU and CV’s of a titan swapped Xterra compare to a Bronco SAS FDU though. the first time up Hells Gate was in my Xterra before I did a Titan swap so the FDU was still factory pro4x.

Im still debating on if this expense is worth it. Plenty of stock badlands with SAS have been up hells gate without breaking CV’s

problem is like upgrading any part you don’t know you really need it till you break the factory One, then you have the problem of trail repairs or being towed back to civilization.

steering rack and components I see as an absolute necessity if you do any rock crawling.

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It’s so beefy… 🤤

IMG_1128.jpeg