Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Broke the passenger end housing off the axle tube and both Cv's

At Bronco Safari earlier this year I made it up Hells Gate with some drama. This time did not work out so well. The Bronco was in 4L with front and rear lockers on. This is 100% driver error. I was all the way up to the last step up had to much momentum and the front started bouncing and the back wheels were chirping. This when I should have let off the gas and let the Bronco settle down. I should have brought the rpms up to about 1800 and used the break peddle to module the forward movement this would have allowed the breaks to reduce wheel spin.

In the heat of the action I just thought I'm all most there and gave it more gas the front bounced violently and then I herd a loud bang, I Knew I was done. We used my winch to get up to the top. Had to drive to a level spot on the rocks where we could meaning @Snacktime @SS Bronco and his brother Brandon last but not least Trevor Jeep driver and owner of Gravity Metal Fabrication and Off-Road in Georgetown removed both Cv"s.

Took about two hours to remove both Cv's, then I and @Snacktime who broke his M190 on Hells Gate also drove back to the trail head with two wheel drive and a rear locker. Some of the steep rock climbs were challenging, we just had to attack them a little faster than we normally would. Drove all the way back to Sacramento 890 miles just fine.

Ford Bronco Broken M210 Shaft End Housing Both CV's Hells Gate Moab Video Added thumbnail (7)
Ford Bronco Broken M210 Shaft End Housing Both CV's Hells Gate Moab Video Added thumbnail (5)
Ford Bronco Broken M210 Shaft End Housing Both CV's Hells Gate Moab Video Added thumbnail (2)
Ford Bronco Broken M210 Shaft End Housing Both CV's Hells Gate Moab Video Added thumbnail (6)
Ford Bronco Broken M210 Shaft End Housing Both CV's Hells Gate Moab Video Added thumbnail
Ford Bronco Broken M210 Shaft End Housing Both CV's Hells Gate Moab Video Added PXL_20231120_194812306

Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
NORCALGXP

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Bummer! Taking the opportunity to replace FDU with something a little stouter now?
Not sure yet.

Spicer, The Ultimate Dana 44™ AdvanTEK® Front-Drive Unit Axle $3,799.99

Spicer Extreme 2021 and Up Ford Bronco With Dana M210 Front 32 Spline #10292027 $3809.46 Toms Offroad Price: $2,749.99

VS.
BRONCO M210 FRONT DRIVE UNIT 4.70 RATIO Retail $1,965.00 M-3002-470BF

Ford Performance Parts Bronco Axle Assemblies M-3002-470BF Summit Racing $1,798.99

BRONCO M210 PAINTED HALF SHAFT KIT M-3429-BR Retail $495.00 Summit $447.99

V1Rotate

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Not sure yet.
Yeah it’s tough with such a big price difference and I’d hardly consider the ultimate 44 “bulletproof” but I think it’s probably the best value option as it’ll likely be the last one they have to do for (most) people.

It’s definitely what I have getting worked into the budget at the moment for when I pull the trigger unless there’s a better option when that comes.

Or you could literally do it twice for the same $ by going with more of a stock replacement again.

All that said you obviously know where this one went wrong! I think you might have been ok or at bare minimum only lost one CV without lockers engaged. Seems when the hopping starts and the front end is at full extension on the gas when it makes contact with traction again it doesn’t stand a chance. With just my stock 210 on 37’s I pretty much consider my front locker non existent when there’s any traction at all. I’m out East though where a little bit of clearance, 4x4 and a rear locker will do mostly anything these days

MyDogGoldie

Black Diamond
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7L BD 4D
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I wonder if a lower gear ratio would help.

Sponsored
OP
OP
NORCALGXP

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Or you could literally do it twice for the same $ by going with more of a stock replacement again.

All that said you obviously know where this one went wrong! I think you might have been ok or at bare minimum only lost one CV without lockers engaged. Seems when the hopping starts and the front end is at full extension on the gas when it makes contact with traction again it doesn’t stand a chance. With just my stock 210 on 37’s I pretty much consider my front locker non existent when there’s any traction at all. I’m out East though where a little bit of clearance, 4x4 and a rear locker will do mostly anything these days
Agree twice for the same money, really do need the front locker on this climb do to the short wheel base of the two door.

OP
OP
NORCALGXP

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Well we need to find out if you differential is still good. Might be able to get you a passenger housing and shaft to get you back on the road for less money. Heck we will have to get your buddy to lathe out a piece of pipe and I will make you a steel outer.

Going to have a massive install party at my house 🥳

OP
OP
NORCALGXP

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well we need to find out if you differential is still good. Might be able to get you a passenger housing and shaft to get you back on the road for less money. Heck we will have to get your buddy to lathe out a piece of pipe and I will make you a steel outer.

Going to have a massive install party at my house 🥳
I was thinking the same thing replace the axle tube I was going to check with Spice to see if I could buy one. What CVs are you using and do you like then. As always another epic adventure by the Norcal Broncos. I love your comments at the beginning on the video.

Sponsored

DangerMTBBronco

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Broke the passenger end housing off the axle tube and both Cv's

At Bronco Safari earlier this year I made it up Hells Gate with some drama. This time did not work out so well. The Bronco was in 4L with front and rear lockers on. This is 100% driver error. I was all the way up to the last step up had to much momentum and the front started bouncing and the back wheels were chirping. This when I should have let off the gas and let the Bronco settle down. I should have brought the rpms up to about 1800 and used the break peddle to module the forward movement this would have allowed the breaks to reduce wheel spin.

In the heat of the action I just thought I'm all most there and gave it more gas the front bounced violently and then I herd a loud bang, I Knew I was done. We used my winch to get up to the top. Had to drive to a level spot on the rocks where we could meaning @Snacktime @SS Bronco and his brother Brandon last but not least Trevor Jeep driver and owner of Gravity Metal Fabrication and Off-Road in Georgetown removed both Cv"s.

Took about two hours to remove both Cv's, then I and @Snacktime who broke his M190 on Hells Gate also drove back to the trail head with two wheel drive and a rear locker. Some of the steep rock climbs were challenging, we just had to attack them a little faster than we normally would. Drove all the way back to Sacramento 890 miles just fine.

Ford Bronco Broken M210 Shaft End Housing Both CV's Hells Gate Moab Video Added IMG_2728
Ford Bronco Broken M210 Shaft End Housing Both CV's Hells Gate Moab Video Added IMG_2728

Bummer! Sucks to have to dish out cash to replace parts for sure. But good on you for taking driver error responsibility. I think for most of us, it's not IF but WHEN if you are out putting these to the test. Hope you get it back rolling soon.

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I would say you broke those pretty good.
indeed very impressive. Probably exactly how it would have ended for me. 🤣

Seems when the hopping starts and the front end is at full extension on the gas when it makes contact with traction again it doesn’t stand a chance.
Yeah, Once the front gets traction with spinning wheels, that can be a fairly serious shock load (short duration impulse). After some good bouncing and at full extension the angles amplify loads. Of course this is kinda obvious but real hard to avoid sometimes. Easy to say but hard to always do. Aside from the carnage looks like a good time.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@NORCALGXP , you better get that crap fixed for May & you are going to need a front locker ;)

GLWTR 🤠

OP
OP
NORCALGXP

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@NORCALGXP , you better get that crap fixed for May & you are going to need a front locker ;)

GLWTR 🤠
Not to worry I will have my straight axle installed by then, that's what some Jeep guys said after it broke. :ROFLMAO:

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@NORCALGXP, did the intermediate shaft break as well? If not, you could always get a BB tube and a set of shafts to get back in business if the gear set didn't sheer like @Snacktime.
Sponsored