First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I am trying to find Matte finish carbon fiber interior parts (specifically the center console)

I have searched (unsuccessfully) to find matte finish —please let me know if you have a source.

Cheers
Sponsored

DallasCajun

Raptor
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I was in the same boat for other trim peices and eventually gave up and took an alternative route. What I've done is purchased some of the CF gloss trim pieces (window switch, ac vent, light switch) and then spraying them with Rust-Oleum Clear Matte.

I had ordered some of the TufSkinz raw carbon fiber stuff but to me those looked awful and don't complement the oem panels whatsoever.

If I can get some pics that help you see I'll try to post them, but I've been very happy with the results.

OP
OP
2021WILDTRAKCDH

2021WILDTRAKCDH

Wildtrak
First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was in the same boat for other trim peices and eventually gave up and took an alternative route. What I've done is purchased some of the CF gloss trim pieces (window switch, ac vent, light switch) and then spraying them with Rust-Oleum Clear Matte.

I had ordered some of the TufSkinz raw carbon fiber stuff but to me those looked awful and don't complement the oem panels whatsoever.

If I can get some pics that help you see I'll try to post them, but I've been very happy with the results.
I was thinking of Doing the same. Matte spray.

Love to see your results.

Thank you for your help

Tye

Raptor
First Name
Tye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, Range Rover P525, Audi Etron Chronos
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The reason these aftermarket companies are struggling to match the factory carbon fiber finish is because Ford is using a flat pressed carbon weave. These OEM parts are made out of a mould under very high pressure, which made the weave structure flat and lost the typical deep carbon view. Most aftermarket companies who work with Carbon Fiber do not have this kind of tooling and are not using molds, they are hand laying which is why the 3D structure effect is retained.

DallasCajun

Raptor
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The reason these aftermarket companies are struggling to match the factory carbon fiber finish is because Ford is using a flat pressed carbon weave. These OEM parts are made out of a mould under very high pressure, which made the weave structure flat and lost the typical deep carbon view. Most aftermarket companies who work with Carbon Fiber do not have this kind of tooling and are not using molds, they are hand laying which is why the 3D structure effect is retained.
Agreed, the key here is that the OEM parts are actual CF in a pressed form whereas almost all of the aftermarket options are really just plastic parts with hydro-dipped carbon fiber patterns. There are a couple of "carbon fiber" options with a matte finish but very few. So to add just a couple of additional trim accents I went the route of using a matte finish clear paint.

I've chosen to not purchase any pieces with large surface areas (console, ac cover) but rather some with smaller surface areas.

Sponsored

DallasCajun

Raptor
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Here's a few pictures of the pieces I installed after a couple of coats of the clear matte applied. The last one is the Light Switch Panel trim which I just applied a coat to and waiting to fully dry. This one was a little bit of a lesson learned as the original part I ordered didn't have a cutout for the puddle light buttons, so I had to find another version that has this section opened up.

Ford Bronco Bronco Raptor carbon fiber matte finish 1689626635394

Ford Bronco Bronco Raptor carbon fiber matte finish 1689626652759

Ford Bronco Bronco Raptor carbon fiber matte finish 1689626670017

Ford Bronco Bronco Raptor carbon fiber matte finish 1689626691855

OP
OP
2021WILDTRAKCDH

2021WILDTRAKCDH

Wildtrak
First Name
Topher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I can live with those results. They look good

Any paint prep or simply just spray over the existing Finish with matte spray ?

DallasCajun

Raptor
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I can live with those results. They look good

Any paint prep or simply just spray over the existing Finish with matte spray ?
No real prep other than good wipe down to clean the surface. I pulled them directly out of the plastic packaging and straight to painting. Way easier than I was expecting: 2 applications about 30 min apart from different angles to ensure I didn’t have any missed glossy sections then let them dry for 60-90 min before installing.

Easy as pie.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Is vinyl wrap an option? My son put a rather matte finish wrap on the dash of our car and looks good. Low cost also.

DallasCajun

Raptor
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Is vinyl wrap an option? My son put a rather matte finish wrap on the dash of our car and looks good. Low cost also.
I'm sure it is an option but probably a lot more challenging with potential to damage some parts if you need to remove them to properly install the vinyl. I did this a few years ago on a couple of cars and thought it was an improvement over the basic plastic finish but I must admit it still seemed like I had just added wallpaper to the car.

After having done both on different vehicles my preferred option is the trim pieces with/without the matte paint.
Sponsored