Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Would you be willing to share the name of your local off road park? I would like to check if the trails are visible on Gaia GPS.
It's called Elephant Hill near Pasadena, CA.
The trails were in Google Maps, but it was so washed out by the storms and completely overgrown on most of the trails, I couldn't tell where I was by referring to the maps.
I just knew where I wanted to be at the end, so I tried at least a dozen different ways, and I have weeds stuck to my Bronco now.

Here's a pic of the area just before I got to the top. Everything fell apart after this picture was taken.
Ford Bronco Bronco "rescued" out on the trail in Utah 20230304_144134

Most of it was easy enough, but there were so many washed out areas wiht really deep water troughs, weeds going up to my hood, really steep declines, and a lot of the drop offs were hidden behind weed growth.

And this is me after I got back to the city after over an hour of trying to get out:
Ford Bronco Bronco "rescued" out on the trail in Utah 20230304_154050
Sponsored

BroncoTrail

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Sasquatch Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's called Elephant Hill near Pasadena, CA.
The trails were in Google Maps, but it was so washed out by the storms and completely overgrown on most of the trails, I couldn't tell where I was by referring to the maps.
I just knew where I wanted to be at the end, so I tried at least a dozen different ways, and I have weeds stuck to my Bronco now.
Gaia GPS is pretty awesome. I recommend that all offroaders get it - it only costs maybe $25/yr

It's got all the trails in that area marked pretty well.

Ford Bronco Bronco "rescued" out on the trail in Utah 1678150804748

mikeeshim

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MBZ E350, supposed daily driver
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I did an overlay of Google Maps and your GAIA screen shot. X marks closed gates with no access to either side of gate.
Ford Bronco Bronco "rescued" out on the trail in Utah 1678151619741

They show pretty similar trails, but there were definitely more "paths" than what is shown on either.
That being said, I do have GAIA installed and usually use this when I'm on real trails with little to no cellular service.
But one this is for certain. It's quite embarrassing how long I was searching for an exit in such a small space!

Pale Horse Adventures

Badlands
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco - Badlands - Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I did an overlay of Google Maps and your GAIA screen shot. X marks closed gates with no access to either side of gate.
Ford Bronco Bronco "rescued" out on the trail in Utah 1678151619741

They show pretty similar trails, but there were definitely more "paths" than what is shown on either.
That being said, I do have GAIA installed and usually use this when I'm on real trails with little to no cellular service.
But one this is for certain. It's quite embarrassing how long I was searching for an exit in such a small space!
Note that unauthorized vehicles are prohibited in this space. Plenty of people off-road here, but it is not legal.

Neverowneda4x4

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Might be that he needed somebody to teach him. That's where the OffRodeo is great for most buyers.
To most people "lockers" are places they store stuff at school and the gym. Until it's demonstrated, "locking the axles" are just words to most people.
This is true. I had never owned a 4x4 and my dealer didn't tell me shit. Off roadeo for someone like me was priceless. Before, when i read on this forum the term, "rear lockers" i always thought it meant those locking boxes you can install in the cargo area.

Sponsored

JackFlack

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I mean, you don't really need to go to off-rodeo to understand the basic functions of your vehicle....
Perhaps, but I am convinced that without the bronco off-rodeo I would never have figured out all the different tech and learned when to use them. I'd be driving the bronco like my old international scout that didn't have any tech except 4H, 4L and manual locking hubs.

JackFlack

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm wondering how he thought standing right next to the tow cables was safe....?? didn't even have a rope blanket and looked like he was using hard shackles.....recipe for disaster if anything broke.
Matt has another video where he talks about the difference between cables and rope on the winch and shows how when a rope breaks, it simply falls to the ground and doesn't whip like a metal cable would. Certainly surprised me and makes a strong case for getting rid of metal cables on your winch.

Tex

Wildtrak
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Matt has another video where he talks about the difference between cables and rope on the winch and shows how when a rope breaks, it simply falls to the ground and doesn't whip like a metal cable would. Certainly surprised me and makes a strong case for getting rid of metal cables on your winch.
Ah, you probably need to watch some videos on synthetic line break tests. They don't simply fall to the ground, it's far more violent than that and probably faster too, but since they're so flexible they do tend to stay on the path they're being tensioned on, so they're at least more predictable than steel. Couldn't say whether a failed synthetic line would break your leg or ankle, but from the videos I've seen it looks possible, and unmistakably deadly if that line is carrying a steel shackle along with it. All good reasons to eliminate as much metal as possible from your recovery gear, even the eyelet and hook on the end of the line.
Sponsored