Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Badlands, '01 Z8
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yeah, and it's totally reasonable to ASSume that the Bronco started itself and is a danger to anyone parking their Bronco in a home garage.

JFC
I already posted that mine did something similar, admittedly by my mistake.

I think you are ignoring the fact that these vehicles don't behave like vehicles made as recently as a decade ago or later.

In my case, every vehicle I owned previously required a key, and that key needed to be turned in the ignition. Clockwise = on, CCW = off. Definitive.

With these, I push a button and the engine starts. Or depending on what my feet are doing and what the state of certain controls is, it might go into Accessory mode and the radio will turn on. Or if it was already running, it will turn off - but the display and radio stay on. But if I press the key again after turning it off, the engine will fire up again - unless it goes into auto-off mode.

My point: I can no longer simply look at the position of the key, or remove it from the ignition. I now need to look at the position of the stick shift, look for an icon on the digital dash, listen for the engine, etc. Rather than turning off when I turn the key, the display doesn't go dark until I open the door. The button I use to start the engine is the same one I must use to stop it.

Honestly, I think a simple fix might be to put a light in the start-stop switch that is illuminated whenever the engine is "on" (running or not), and dark when it is "off". Simple. Unambiguous. Not even that expensive.
Sponsored

2023bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I already posted that mine did something similar, admittedly by my mistake.

I think you are ignoring the fact that these vehicles don't behave like vehicles made as recently as a decade ago or later.
Your Bronco did not "do something similar" to starting by itself.

You started it by mistake. False equivalence.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

it's possible the OPs phone was hacked.

it's also possible that Fords servers are hacked

it's also possible for a hacker to intercept the digital "start up" message from the app and replicate it

it's also possible one of the broncos modules that "triggers" the OTA start could short circuit and be irratic like my fuel Guage did.

OTA updates, remote start, remote widows is a VERY easy thing for a hackers to emulate folks.

it's also possible the digital message was delayed and sent at a later date....( like if OP previously used the app to start it unsuccessfuly) I've had this happen with text messages that arrive YEARS after they were sent, while traveling in another state.

for God's sake the Oregons own DMV just got hacked in my state. Everyones info was compromised.

if you don't see these risks as very real your head is in the sand!

Last edited:

RELEGATION BATTLE

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco (2-dr.)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I love the few people who are trying to call BS on the OP. This is a Forum where people discuss issues and topics. This guy is just genuinely just trying to figure out what is happening and people are calling BS? Get off your high horse people (pun intended)
I believe the vehicle started, but I’m calling BS on “it started by itself”. That didn’t happen. He, or a family member, did something. Period.

Sponsored

RELEGATION BATTLE

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco (2-dr.)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

it's also possible for a hacker to intercept the digital "start up" message from the app and replicate it

it's also possible one of the broncos modules that "triggers" the OTA start could short circuit and be irratic like my fuel Guage did.

OTA updates, remote start, remote widows is a VERY easy thing for a hackers to emulate folks.

it's also possible the digital message was delayed and sent at a later date....( like if OP previously used the app to start it unsuccessfuly) I've had this happen with text messages that arrive YEARS after they were sent, while traveling in another state.

for God's sake the Oregons own DMV just got hacked in my state. Everyones info was compromised.

I like your idea of his phone being hacked—that is something to consider. However, I don’t think that’s all the hacker would do—start the car and that’s it—and the OP isn’t mentioning anything else related to a hack.

If Ford was hacked, there’d be more cases.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have accidentally caused a Chevy Tahoe to start on it's own while I was working on it. Was kinda my own fault, but I didn't know it could happen. I have a flashlight I use w/a pretty powerful magnet on it, so I can stick it to the frame or body, and point it at whatever I am working on. I set the flashlight (magnet down) on top of the PDC while doing something under the hood. Scared the bajeesus out of me! I know it was that because I could recreate the results...but dangerous if I had had my hand in the wrong place at the time. Just saying

2023bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have accidentally caused a Chevy Tahoe to start on it's own while I was working on it. Was kinda my own fault, but I didn't know it could happen. I have a flashlight I use w/a pretty powerful magnet on it, so I can stick it to the frame or body, and point it at whatever I am working on. I set the flashlight (magnet down) on top of the PDC while doing something under the hood. Scared the bajeesus out of me! I know it was that because I could recreate the results...but dangerous if I had had my hand in the wrong place at the time. Just saying
That is why you disconnect the battery before working on a vehicle. Over on another forum a while ago, I read a story about a guy who was under his Chevelle and accidentally bumped the starter by crossing power to ground with his wrench. The car was in gear, drove off the stands, and crushed him. Lucy to be alive.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That is why you disconnect the battery before working on a vehicle. Over on another forum a while ago, I read a story about a guy who was under his Chevelle and accidentally bumped the starter by crossing power to ground with his wrench. The car was in gear, drove off the stands, and crushed him. Lucy to be alive.
Ya I know, but it still happened. I wasn't even "working on it" yet just checking for a leak or something. Weird stuff can happen...not saying that's what happened to OP, but I believe his story

The Beaz

First Edition
First Name
Shad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I would like to know how to along with how to access/manage forscan?!
You are in the bay area, yes? I have forscan set up on mine, I can walk you through it all, send me a note and we can find a time that works

Sponsored

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just out of curiosity, I wondered if my Bronco would start remotely with the hood in the up position.

Tried both the fob and the FordPass App. No go, only the horn honks.

It can be started with the hood in the up position by pushing the start button on the operators console.

Leilani

Big Bend
First Name
Leilani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mini cooper/ford bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

You are in the bay area, yes? I have forscan set up on mine, I can walk you through it all, send me a note and we can find a time that works
Blessings Shad,
That is so incredibly kind of you. 🙏

I will DM so we can figure a day/time to meet!

Solfive

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Inflammatory and Erroneous on all counts!!

I kid of course, nothing but facts here. Just because it’s uncomfortable doesn’t mean it’s a conspiracy or trying to stir up trouble.

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just out of curiosity, I wondered if my Bronco would start remotely with the hood in the up position.

Tried both the fob and the FordPass App. No go, only the horn honks.
Same thing if a door is open, it's designed to not start remotely if anything is ajar.

ZeoBandit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looking to buy
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It is entirely possible that something happened on Ford's side with the app and someone else's remote start command through their app went through to the OP's vehicle and started it. It's software. Software glitches all the time.
Sponsored