Sponsored

Building a low-profile drawer system for my Badlands - what's your input?

j_4260

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3, Ducati M620, BMW GSA 1200
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi all,

I'd love your input and ideas on how to build my drawer system.

Requirements:
- Dual drawers
- Access to the jack storage compartment
- Access to the drawers without sliding them open
- Drawers will be for storing some recovery gear, camping kit, tools, accessories for pew-pew'ing.
- Relatively flat to allow me to sleep inside (probably the easiest requirement)
- I can build in my garage with power tools or hand tools

Construction materials (all up for discussion/debate):
- A mix of 80/20 aluminum, 1/2", 1/4" plywood
- 1/2" plywood for the frame and platform
- 1/4" plywood for the cabinet drawers
- Drawer hardware

In my first draft (pictured in the sketch), I have the platform opening with a pivot towards the front but in order for this design to work, the entire cabinet has to rotate upward.

This means:
- Need a pivot point to the platform top (to gain access to drawer contents)
- Need a pivot point to the entire cabinet

Any other approaches I can think about?

Ford Bronco Building a low-profile drawer system for my Badlands - what's your input? PXL_20230821_035049674.MP
Sponsored

OP
OP
j_4260

j_4260

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok - I was over-complicating this way too much.

For the frame I used some poplar lumber I had (3" tall x .75" thick) and picked up a 4' x 4' sheet of .5" plywood from Home Depot.

Measurements:

Front support: 41" long x 3" tall x .75" wide
Left and right supports: 28" long x 3" tall x .75" wide, using some scrap for the center support
Platform top: 41" wide x 31.5" tall x .5" thick

In the next week, I'll wrap the surfaces in black carpet, add some brackets to tie it down to the factory cargo points, and order a few gas struts to keep it open.

I'm going to skip drawers right now and use some plastic bins to keep my crap organized.

Ford Bronco Building a low-profile drawer system for my Badlands - what's your input? PXL_20230902_025631515.MP

Ford Bronco Building a low-profile drawer system for my Badlands - what's your input? PXL_20230908_035055060.MP

Ford Bronco Building a low-profile drawer system for my Badlands - what's your input? PXL_20230902_025631515.MP

Ford Bronco Building a low-profile drawer system for my Badlands - what's your input? PXL_20230908_032334127.MP

Ford Bronco Building a low-profile drawer system for my Badlands - what's your input? PXL_20230908_035049519.MP

Last edited:

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Following! I love custom builds

OP
OP
j_4260

j_4260

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Gas shocks came in and got them mounted tonight!

Sponsored

Callelk

Heritage
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escalade ESV, Cherokee 2-Door
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Looks great!

Why couldn't Ford do something like this and give us a flat cargo area?
They do have the pull out tailgate. With only a roughly 4" height, the drawers would not not be very deep.

OP
OP
j_4260

j_4260

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks great!

Why couldn't Ford do something like this and give us a flat cargo area?
Thank you!

When I first went about drafting plans, I had goals of putting drawers in and all that but I realized there's not a lot of space to work with.

After calculating the dimensions of the cabinet and drawer hardware, you're left with two drawers, with the approximately dimensions of 19.5" wide x 28" deep x 3" high.

As they say, "The juice isn't worth the squeeze." This keeps things tidy and I can use packing cubes or whatever to toss in the compartment when it's not in use.

Not having drawers is a feature and not a bug! :ROFLMAO:. Sorry I'm a software nerd.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I had had plans similar to create something as low profile as possible. However the reality of usable depth squash that.

For me, ironically as I went around measuring all the things I wanted to keep in the Bronco (air compressor, bottle jack, battery station, recovery gear, etc....everything came back at 8" .... Meaning if I could not fit something 8 in tall, there was no point.

i ended up with a split basically down the middle. 8" clearance on 1 side, and 4" clearance on the other (allows me to keep shorter things like fold up chairs), lock box, etc.

That is the basic core problem with all those systems that provid a "flat top"... The drawer depth is just not usefull.

OP
OP
j_4260

j_4260

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had had plans similar to create something as low profile as possible. However the reality of usable depth squash that.

For me, ironically as I went around measuring all the things I wanted to keep in the Bronco (air compressor, bottle jack, battery station, recovery gear, etc....everything came back at 8" .... Meaning if I could not fit something 8 in tall, there was no point.

i ended up with a split basically down the middle. 8" clearance on 1 side, and 4" clearance on the other (allows me to keep shorter things like fold up chairs), lock box, etc.

That is the basic core problem with all those systems that provid a "flat top"... The drawer depth is just not usefull.
It's a shame with that silly seat height difference in the back - I saw some folks with Jeep Gladiators do a seat delete and install full-length drawers. Tempting for me but I still want to be able to bring friends along so this will have to do.

At least this provides me with a somewhat flat surface for sleeping in the Bronco too.

Sponsored

ColoradoChris

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak HOSS 3.0!!
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Great job! looks fantastic. Wondering if you would share link for struts/latches and if you remember the cut out measurements for the rear latch on the platform. Thanks!!!

OP
OP
j_4260

j_4260

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great job! looks fantastic. Wondering if you would share link for struts/latches and if you remember the cut out measurements for the rear latch on the platform. Thanks!!!
For sure!

Here are the latches. I chose locking ones so that when you put things on top, they don't accidentally open. Worked well during last week's camping trip. I'll get you some measurements in the morning for the cut-outs.

Here are the struts. I used the 13lb / 15 inch combo. I measured the weight of the platform to be around 20lbs.

The latches have little gaskets I traced to get a rough cut with my jig-saw then I sanded to fit with flat files.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Have you found suitable bins yet? Even if you had to build shallow boxes, without all the drawer hardware it'd be possible to open the lid to access contents; simply pulling them out and placing them on the ground if it all goes bad, and you need the jack.

Bellime

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I used aluminum rails with full extension sliders mount to give a nice pull out tray
Sponsored