Sponsored

Can I just tap into the console USB for power?

FstFrd00

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gunsmithingtx.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 BD Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I searched and didn't find anything that could help, but maybe I am entering the wrong search criteria... anyway.
I am fairly new to wiring; I've done plenty of "hold my beer" wiring. Want to do it right on the Bronco.

I have a flush mount USB, from another project, that I want to install on my dash but am unclear the best way to power it.
Ford Bronco Can I just tap into the console USB for power? 1671041332978

Can I just tap into the USB on the console?

Do I need an add-a-circuit? What fuse should I piggy-back off of or can I use a location thats not used (i.e. #35)? Then it would remain on at all times?

Ive heard also about using the aux switch by the glove box. Not to keen on the idea of wasting an aux switch to power a USB.

Any tips guys? Again I am fairly a noob, so please be gentle :)
Sponsored

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is this just for power or are you going for data as well?

If you're just doing power, you need something to drop down the 12v to a USB correct 5v or else you'll risk frying any electronic device you plug into it. USB-C is a much more flexible standard and can handle more voltage, but once again - device specific.

In short, adding a DC to DC converter in line that drops 12v down to 5v will allow you to power from any existing 12v source inside the vehicle. You could easily snake a wire down to the glove box area where there is an existing wire that pops out in the engine bay near the rest of the upfitter wiring.

Data as well is doable but you'll actually just extend the existing USB ports near the climate controls with a hub, pass the cable to the dash and just use a waterproof USB to USB adapter instead of the one you have, which is wired for power only.

OP
OP
FstFrd00

FstFrd00

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gunsmithingtx.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 BD Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

just power
darn it, hope it was something as simple as hooking up the add-a-circuit to the USB and plugging it in to a fuse :)
Is this just for power or are you going for data as well?

If you're just doing power, you need something to drop down the 12v to a USB correct 5v or else you'll risk frying any electronic device you plug into it. USB-C is a much more flexible standard and can handle more voltage, but once again - device specific.

Last edited:

Theherofails

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 e-tron Sportback, 2021 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
just power
Awesome.

So then it would go YOUR DEVICE ---> 12V to 5V converter ---> ground black to any available point (bare metal), red connects to upfitter wire under dash (B1 or B2 in diagram) which leads to the engine bay ---> connect said wire to 12v supply via fuse tap.

Ford Bronco Can I just tap into the console USB for power? 1671045809336

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Wait hold on.... Do you have the instructions for that USB plug? Cuz a lot of them are designed to plug into 12 volts cuz that's what's expected on a vehicle and they tone it down to the appropriate 5 volts.

I mean it's not like I'm in the market everyday for these, but I've never heard of a USB plug that required you to buy a separate voltage adapter

Sponsored
OP
OP
FstFrd00

FstFrd00

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gunsmithingtx.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 BD Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Wait hold on.... Do you have the instructions for that USB plug? Cuz a lot of them are designed to plug into 12 volts cuz that's what's expected on a vehicle and they tone it down to the appropriate 5 volts.

I mean it's not like I'm in the market everyday for these, but I've never heard of a USB plug that required you to buy a separate voltage adapter
Here's the link to it

By this picture, if am reading the input right, a step down is not needed.
Ford Bronco Can I just tap into the console USB for power? 1671113016193

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Here's the link to it

By this picture, if am reading the input right, a step down is not needed.
Ford Bronco Can I just tap into the console USB for power? 1671113016193

Yep that's how I read it as well. Your input voltage is 12 volts, your output voltage is 5 volts.

Now it does say that it only puts out two amps so that's not a lot for today's USB devices... You may want to test this out by jumping into a 12 volt battery and plugging your phone in there (or whatever device) see if it can charge faster than it drains.

(For example if I'm running gaia on my phone, it pulls alot of power and 2 amps wouldn't keep up)

But being that's the case, you can run those wires and tap either into an "add a fuse", the 12v port in the center console, or whatever.

As far as tapping into existing USB, not sure. You would have to use a multimeter to check the voltage going into those plugs from the back and to see if it's 12 volts.

Maybett has a wireless charger that they sell, and their videos shows them popping that centerpiece out and there are two plugs that go to that factory USB. I think one is for the USBA and what is for the USBC.

So maybe USBC might have 12 volts going to it...not sure on that.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Just a little tidbit follow up. I haven't taken my center console apart yet to install my radio, but I did notice one thing.

When you shut the Bronco off (like open the door so everything turns off) The USB ports at the front of the console and the 12 volt port in the center console stay powered.

A few seconds later, my dome lights and stuff will turn off, but both those power sources stay lit.

However, few moments later, I noticed that the USB plugs turn off yet the 12 volt plug in the center console stays powered on (which will eventually go off based on the timer of 15 or 30 minutes I think)

My point being, is if you tap into the USB power, you'll have a little bit of power after the Bronco turns off but not for long.

If instead you tap into the center console 12 volt power, that will give you the longest "post shutdown" power source.

OP
OP
FstFrd00

FstFrd00

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gunsmithingtx.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 BD Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just a little tidbit follow up. I haven't taken my center console apart yet to install my radio, but I did notice one thing.

When you shut the Bronco off (like open the door so everything turns off) The USB ports at the front of the console and the 12 volt port in the center console stay powered.

A few seconds later, my dome lights and stuff will turn off, but both those power sources stay lit.

However, few moments later, I noticed that the USB plugs turn off yet the 12 volt plug in the center console stays powered on (which will eventually go off based on the timer of 15 or 30 minutes I think)

My point being, is if you tap into the USB power, you'll have a little bit of power after the Bronco turns off but not for long.

If instead you tap into the center console 12 volt power, that will give you the longest "post shutdown" power source.
IC... good info
Sponsored