Sponsored

Change oil or trust my oil life monitor?

What to do?

• Total voters

therealjeries

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeries
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Full-Size Bronco ‘22
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’ve hit a little above 5k miles which I know I should change my oil now (according to the dealer - I even read on the manual that it should’ve been at 3k), yet the oil life monitor says my oil still has 50% life in it. I baby the bronco and work from home, so it truly isn’t being pushed to the limits it was designed to push. Should I trust the oil life monitor and replace it when it’s at about 20% or something? Or should I replace it now since I hit 5k?
Sponsored

Ogre

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BD 2dr 7MT CG, '18 Indian Chieftain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The computer calculates the oil life. It's not the oil you're getting rid of in the first oil change its the debris, i.e. metal, from the break in process.

SlpybearTX

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Race Red Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
First change I would change around 3-5K, just to get the shavings out. After that? Computer all the way. Two different Ford Trucks and two different Audi's... all changed per the OLM and all running great. I expect the Bronco will be the same.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you're really certain that you'll be getting rid of shavings and some assembly line workers car keys by changing it early, then get it tested by Blackstone and post your findings... or just keep records and compare all oil changes.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
First change I would change around 3-5K, just to get the shavings out. After that? Computer all the way. Two different Ford Trucks and two different Audi's... all changed per the OLM and all running great. I expect the Bronco will be the same.
Same routine for me…

3-5k for the first change and then follow the recommended interval in the owner’s manual (or CPU)
Sponsored