Sponsored

Do you trust the FordPass oil life meter?

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m just a click over 5k miles and I was preparing to do my first oil change. FordPass says my oil life is STILL 50% and estimates quite a long way to go.

Planning to do it anyway, but interested to heard the collective wisdom.

Also are you guys sticking with the Ford Motorcraft synthetic blend or going with a full synthetic?
Sponsored

Bronco1010

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The meter both in car and on Ford pass is based on 10k miles. I always do every 4500-5k intervals.

I’m just a click over 5k miles and I was preparing to do my first oil change. FordPass says my oil life is STILL 50% and estimates quite a long way to go.

Also are you guys sticking with the Ford Motorcraft synthetic blend or going with a full synthetic?

OP
OP
NJNMDoc

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The meter both in car and on Ford pass is based on 10k miles. I always do every 4500-5k intervals.
Ya- ok that makes sense. I’m going with the same 5k schedule…

Are you changing yourself? If so what oil are you using?

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford Pass just communicates with the on-board oil life meter. Will generally tell you to change your oil at 8-12,000 miles depending on how hard you drive.

It also has a 1-year timer built in, so will tell you to change your oil after 1 year if you don't drive a lot.

I'm at 6000 miles or so, oil life monitor says I have about 40% left, which is about right. I will likely use full synthetic rather than semi, as the cost is not that much more.

OP
OP
NJNMDoc

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Ford Pass just communicates with the on-board oil life meter. Will generally tell you to change your oil at 8-12,000 miles depending on how hard you drive.

It also has a 1-year timer built in, so will tell you to change your oil after 1 year if you don't drive a lot.

I'm at 6000 miles or so, oil life monitor says I have about 40% left, which is about right. I will likely use full synthetic rather than semi, as the cost is not that much more.
Ya all this makes sense. So the answer is sure trust it if you want longer intervals and don’t really like your bronco that much anyway… 🤣

Is there any consensus on a full synthetic preference or are people generally just rollin top shelf?

Also- I am assuming we need to get the replacement o-rings from ford directly. Is that correct?

Sponsored
OP
OP
NJNMDoc

NJNMDoc

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Looks like I missed the boat on the other related threads- odd- I searched the forum but I must have done something wrong and didn’t come up with the same results.

Thanks for replying in spite of redundancy and piss poor searching on my part 🤓

Baja Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco, 20 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

To a certain extent. I use it as a guide, miles is what I judge on, and the harder the miles, the more I change it. After each Baja trip, I change it, and filter. To me, it’s cheap insurance.

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
The manual says 5k, the app was made by someone who has never driven a car apparently. Don’t trust the app

Sponsored

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yes and…
I know a guy who changes the oil himself when the meter hits roughly 50%, but doesn’t reset it. When the meter gets further along he takes it to the dealer for an officially recorded oil change. This gives shorter real intervals at a lower cost. It also proves that it was getting oil change at regular by-the-meter intervals in case a warranty issue occurs.

Pb.Slinger

Wildtrak
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco WildTrak Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I’m sticking to my routine of 5k oil changes. Currently using Motorcraft 5w30 blend but switching to full synthetic soon.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I use the oil life meter as a guide but I don't put all of my faith in the guide.

Generally change the oil every 4000 - 6000 miles depending on how hard I've driven the vehicle. Average is 5000 - 5500 miles. But if the oil life meter says I need to change my oil and I haven't gone 5000 miles yet, then I'll change it earlier.

For example... the oil life meter in my wife's 2020 Escape just hit 0% this past week. Last time I changed the oil was 3200 miles ago. I will be changing the oil this weekend even though she hasn't driven 5000 miles since the last oil change.

STX Bronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 SuperCrew 22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

5000 max on eccoboost. I wouldn’t trust that bs meter.
Sponsored