KillerPenz

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just skimmed through the video, didn't he say the engine has 240k or 220k miles on it? That's about what I'm looking to get. Plus I also thought he mentioned the owner waited for the intelligent sensor to tell him when to change it. Did he mention what oil was used? Normal or synthetic? There seem to be quite a few variables that aren't being nailed down.

Personally, I'm running full synthetic and changing every 8k miles. As @Imaginary Friend stated, yes oil is relatively cheap.

So why go 8k miles? Being I put on approx. 25k miles per year, I'm opting to change about 3 times/year vs. 5 times. Call me lazy or whatever, I don't care, my truck, my maintenance schedule. All I'm saying is, the video doesn't give enough information to state much more than "Don't wait for the truck to tell you when to change your oil". Which seems rather obvious. 🤷‍♂️

BigHoof

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Watched it last night. He is spot on in his videos.

So why go 8k miles? Being I put on approx. 25k miles per year, I'm opting to change about 3 times/year vs. 5 times. Call me lazy or whatever, I don't care, my truck, my maintenance schedule. All I'm saying is, the video doesn't give enough information to state much more than "Don't wait for the truck to tell you when to change your oil". Which seems rather obvious. 🤷‍♂️
If you watched the video instead of skimming over it, you would have the info.

Sponsored

mC.242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend 4dr (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I go by the factory recommendations and run full synthetic in all vehicles. Honestly, oil-related breakdowns are pretty rare for engines with under 150-200k miles, it's usually something else that does them in before that.

KillerPenz

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Watched it last night. He is spot on in his videos.

If you watched the video instead of skimming over it, you would have the info.
🤷‍♂️

Oh well, like I said, I heard how many miles on the engine, and owner waited for vehicle to tell him when to change the oil. Seems I got enough of NON-information to make my own conclusion. Unless you heard a specific oil change interval that I didn't. Otherwise, the video didn't really do anything for me.

To each their own.

colonelburke

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'll watch the video, but I have the EcoBoost in my F150 and change the oil when the sensor gets in the 10% range. I have 206,xxx miles and counting. I will watch the video shortly, but back to work for now.

Sponsored

Laminar

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cougar
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Of all of the horrific Scotty Kilmer-esque YouTube car personalities, FTM is not one of them. I disregard nearly everything I see from car guys on YouTube but I fully trust FTM - his videos and diagnoses are spot on and he's saved me hours of time and thousands of dollars.

A couple things to keep in mind:
- Ford's goal is to get your engine through the warranty period. After that they do. not. care.
- Ford's goal is to show a low cost of ownership so they look good for articles like this

Follow Ford's recommendations and there's a 99.999% chance you'll make it through the warranty period. If you want to go further than that, you need to take some ownership of your decisions. Have your used oil tested - this will give you a window into the health of the engine and tell you if the oil is getting contaminated by fuel or it it's prematurely breaking down and not giving the kind of protection you need. If everything looks good at the IOLM intervals, then great. But if you're losing viscosity or seeing fuel or debris in the engine, then you know you need to change it sooner.

Pick an oil that meets Ford's WSS-M2C961-A1 specification - it's specific to reducing low speed preignition that can happen with direct injected engines and cause premature buildup and sludge.

Track your oil analyses and change the oil when you know protection is starting to drop off.

That's all there is to it.

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for posting!

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
What about time between oil changes? Frankly my household is not driving all that much the past few years. Is the 6 month change rule of thumb valid, when you are not driving more than a few thousand miles (if that) during that time period?

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model