Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
On one Bronco I changed at 2600 miles and other at 900 miles. Both were first oil changes which I intentionally planned early. I rather have done it at 2K miles on the one but miles got ahead of me. The one at 900 miles has only been seeing very short trips and oil was 6 months old so decided to refresh it.

Moving forward my target is 3K to 3.5K miles. My Explorer sees heavy duty use so needed shorter interval. My concern with the 2.3L is as mentioned in the video the by design conditions that create more blow by. I don't really care to hear the oil has been designed to keep such particulates in suspension so it isn't a problem. I would rather get them out. The cost isn't a factor for mean I don't mind getting under the car to do myself so I'm going to keep short intervals. It has served me well in the past.
Sponsored

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm still waiting for clarification on how much oil the 2.7 takes. 20k miles and still going strong...

Deleted member 49144

Yeah to be honest, I see no reason to stray from manufacturers recs. Do what they recommend, and you should have no issues.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I bet in around 5 years more batteries will be more energy dense and pretty much bullet proof since they happen to be so simple compared to ICE.
Battery tech really hasn't changed in 15 years or so. If anything the trend is to safer, less expensive, less energy dense batteries such as LiFePO chemistries. (heavier, less range)

There have been some cost savings due to scaling of manufacture. And because they don't use Cobalt, LiFePO is much cheaper than some of the higher energy chems.

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
When you hear about your neighbor's vehicle lasting for 200,000 or 300,000 miles, would you find it acceptable that your new vehicle lasted only 50-60,000 miles before engine failure or other substantial repairs were needed?
I expect something like a Triton 5.4 or 4.6 to easily go a quarter million miles without issue. Same with a push-rod 4.0, except for the dumb flapper valves in the intake manifold.

Hell, the old push-rod 5.0 in my 86 lasted 360,000 miles before it gave any issues, and the only issue is it wouldn't pass smog, still ran fine.

Never owned a turbo engine before. Certainly don't trust it like I would a naturally aspirated engine.

Sponsored

KPLOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

To be fair I buy Teslas that have 8 year and 120k warranty so its a non issue for me as I dont keep cars for that long.

Of course early Teslas had battery issues that warrant your comments but they seem to be getting better and better.

Actually its the same with ICE they been around 100 years and still manage to blow up because its too much moving parts, too complicated.

I bet in around 5 years more batteries will be more energy dense and pretty much bullet proof since they happen to be so simple compared to ICE.
You may be right, but it will be 10 years, and with a disruptive technology we haven’t seen yet.

Anvilair1973

Base
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2 door and 1994 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Followed all of this guys advise when I bought a used 2009 ford escape with 30k miles on it in 2012. I ended up driving it until right before I got my bronco and it had 490k on it when I sold it. My neighbors teenage son is still driving it. Engine and tranny are original. I’m gonna listen to this guy…. Oil changes every 4K or 6 months whichever is first.

Lolife

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm old school, I change my oil around 4.5k to 5k miles.... if I had a non turbo motor I may go a little longer. Turbos need to be treated appropriately.

rpzemo171

Wildtrak
First Name
Ruth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mini Countryman JCW, 2017 Corvette Z07
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
There has been a lot of social media posts on going with 5K oil changes for the Eco-Boost engine. Seems they were concerned more about the in-line oil filters to the turbos being fouled.

rblume73

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco, 07 F150, 73 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Followed all of this guys advise when I bought a used 2009 ford escape with 30k miles on it in 2012. I ended up driving it until right before I got my bronco and it had 490k on it when I sold it. My neighbors teenage son is still driving it. Engine and tranny are original. I’m gonna listen to this guy…. Oil changes every 4K or 6 months whichever is first.
Hopefully as time progresses, he will start putting out Bronco videos once warranties run out. He has been a lot of help on my 2007 F150 5.4L. I don't think I would have gotten the timing chains right without him. I only have 330K miles on it, but it is still going. Probably won't get 500K now that I have my Bronco.
Sponsored