First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I watched the video and understand what he's saying, but it's pretty clear that consistent maintenance is the key to engine longevity. This engine made it to 240k, which is likely much longer than most Broncos or other vehicles will until they're on their second, third, or maybe even fourth owners.

I have gone with 10k change intervals since I bought my first car, a 1998 Mercury Sable, using Mobil 1. Over the years, I've stayed with those OCIs, but the Bronco is my first turbo car and first direct injection engine. I'll err on the side of caution and go with a 7500 mile OCI, and since I'm about to leave on a 2000 mile road trip, it's going to get done today between meetings. Otherwise, on non-turbo engines, I'll stick with 10k/1 year OCIs. I am planning to do a UOA for this oil change on the Bronco to check engine wear and look at their analysis/recommendations.

JR
Sponsored

Bigfx

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
3k miles, there are literally no downsides to changing more frequently. Oil is cheap and fumoto oil valve makes it a simple job.

Summit981

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche Cayman, MINI GP2, MINI Countryman
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Agree that frequent oil changes are warranted at shorter intervals. This is particularly true for turbocharged motors.

And yes, sadly, manufacturers get the oil change intervals wrong sometimes… often because they want to increase profit margins on those owners who opt in for dealer’s “annual oil change programs” at time of vehicle purchase.

By way of experience, when MINI first started selling the R-series cars with dual-scroll 4 cylinder turbos, the manufacturer recommended 5-7k mile synthetic oil change intervals. Over time owners realized that schedule placed undue stress on the motor and because the motor was working hard already as a sports model, oil starvation was a reality. I never followed the factory regimen and instead changed the oil between 3-5k miles. The result? My MINI is still rolling after 217k miles and when I replaced the timing chain at 185k, the mechanics took a picture of the engine internals and posted it online as an example why frequent oil changes were so important to the health of the motor.

So….for my Bronco, I’m going to follow a 4-5k mile interval with full synthetic (after it’s very first change at 3k). As others have stated here, oil is cheaper than an engine rebuild.

BigJim1957

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang GT/CS, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
He gave us a lot of good information in his video, however he did not give us a recommended turbo oil filter change interval.

KPLOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Where is the “Old Man Yells at Cloud” meme when you need it?
LOL point taken. However here we are complaining about 200k engine failure and maintenance to keep it going past then, but extolling the virtues of EVs when it’s tough to be getting past 100k miles before the battery has to be replaced at a cost of >$5k seems pretty silly. No maintenance you say?

Sponsored

Quicklime

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sasquatch 2 Dr hardtop
Your Bronco Model
Base
Fourth Ford in a row. I'm confident that my usual 6000 oil changes w/M-1 5w-30 EP)are fine. I'm also sure that I can go longer with this, my go to oil... You can get it anywhere. And(I hate to say it) Walmart is the cheapest place to get it.

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ford only warranties the powertrain for 5 years 60k miles. They only care if it lasts that long, the sooner the failure after that point equals money in their bank. This is what the factory recommendation aims to achieve.

James Cole

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Sasquatch (hopefully)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
LOL point taken. However here we are complaining about 200k engine failure and maintenance to keep it going past then, but extolling the virtues of EVs when it’s tough to be getting past 100k miles before the battery has to be replaced at a cost of >$5k seems pretty silly. No maintenance you say?
To be fair I buy Teslas that have 8 year and 120k warranty so its a non issue for me as I dont keep cars for that long.

Of course early Teslas had battery issues that warrant your comments but they seem to be getting better and better.

Actually its the same with ICE they been around 100 years and still manage to blow up because its too much moving parts, too complicated.

I bet in around 5 years more batteries will be more energy dense and pretty much bullet proof since they happen to be so simple compared to ICE.

JBlanco

Base
First Name
Julio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco BaseSquatch, 2023 Tesla Y Performance
Your Bronco Model
Base
What about time between oil changes? Frankly my household is not driving all that much the past few years. Is the 6 month change rule of thumb valid, when you are not driving more than a few thousand miles (if that) during that time period?
I only put around 3k miles a year on my old JK. I changed it at 3k or annually using Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic. It was driven almost daily but the commute is about 3 miles each way. I plan on the same service interval for the Bronco.

SlpybearTX

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Race Red Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I skimmed the responses and not one asked the question…
Why
Why is the oil that dirty in the first place so quickly?

Is it 87 fuel?
Is the lack of a catch can
Is it blow by
Is it from towing constantly
Is it moisture in the oil

Just bending over and dropping trow changing oil wether you need it or not is not the real answer.

or just the status quo of 1.5 sigma reliability by Ford designed to ensure obsolescence?

Can a Real Ford rep on this form answer these questions? With no stipulations?

Mongo needs to know
This guy 8Ds problems.(y)

Sponsored

SlpybearTX

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Race Red Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
but extolling the virtues of EVs when it’s tough to be getting past 100k miles before the battery has to be replaced at a cost of >$5k seems pretty silly. No maintenance you say?
100,000 miles at 30mpg, 3,333 gallons. $3.50 x 3,333 gallons is $11,666. And doesn't include oil change expenses.

Seems like a decent trade off to me. Never owned one but would consider if it fit my needs.

Ike89

Base
First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tahoe LT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford Bronco PSA video for EcoBoost engine owners: Why You Never Run Extended Oil Change Intervals -- Agree or Disagree? 508E3CEF-5A41-431C-A1BE-42EE2E38B6D2

I think it makes sense to change the oil according to it’s use.

rblume73

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco, 07 F150, 73 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Agree/Disagree with the 5K, there is more to oil health than just being dirty. Heat cycling does damage on a molecular level and changes the viscosity slowly over time. Also it tends to oxidize over time, and create sludge. Fully Synthetics tend to resist these problems longer than conventional or blends. So you may be able to get away with longer on a fully synthetic.

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
100,000 miles at 30mpg, 3,333 gallons. $3.50 x 3,333 gallons is $11,666. And doesn't include oil change expenses.

Seems like a decent trade off to me. Never owned one but would consider if it fit my needs.
Unfortunately charging ain't free either. Not to mention w/o the infrastructure and the forced adoption it's gonna take longer and longer to find an open charge point. Couple that with the increased demand on the grid across the board like CA last year and you will be told no charging during certain times. If anyone thinks electric rates will not be rising at a fast clip as demand increases they are in lala land.

I'm all for it for performance and other reasons but sure seems like the cart before the horse right now. Out west here the distances are so far apart (obviously not the metro areas themselves) it is still completely impractical.